* [MODERATED] Change conditional to always?
@ 2018-08-10 20:28 Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2018-08-10 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: speck

Hi,

With the combination of spectrev1 to bring various host and guest date
in the L1 and then L1TF slurping is the choice of using conditional
good?

That is I could see the guest trapping in the emulation code - and
the condional would stay at false - which means we don't do IA32_PRED_CMD
flush and end up providing a nice way for the guest to slurp up data.

Thoughts?

* [MODERATED] Re: Change conditional to always?
@ 2018-08-10 20:29 ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2018-08-10 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: speck

[once more but this time encrypting this]

@ 2018-08-10 22:04 ` Andi Kleen
From: Andi Kleen @ 2018-08-10 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: speck

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 04:28:31PM -0400, speck for Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With the combination of spectrev1 to bring various host and guest date
> in the L1 and then L1TF slurping is the choice of using conditional
> good?
>
> That is I could see the guest trapping in the emulation code - and
> the condional would stay at false - which means we don't do IA32_PRED_CMD
> flush and end up providing a nice way for the guest to slurp up data.
>
> Thoughts?

I would wait for exploits for this. Combinations of such fragile exploits
tends to be very hard and it may very well not be practical.

There are ongoing efforts to reduce the gadgets too.

Far too early to change any defaults I think.

-Andi

* [MODERATED] Re: Change conditional to always?
@ 2018-08-13 13:34   ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2018-08-13 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: speck