* Question about OpenBMC Remote BIOS configuration proposal
@ 2020-07-23  8:34 Chang, Abner (HPS SW/FW Technologist)
From: Chang, Abner (HPS SW/FW Technologist) @ 2020-07-23  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: suryakanth.sekar
  Cc: openbmc, Wu, Frank (ISS Firmware), Garrett, Mike (HPE Server Firmware)

Hi Sekar,
This is Abner Chang from HPE Server BIOS team, our team is also working on UEFI/EDK2 Redfish open source solution (just FYI the POC code is almost done).

I read through the Remote BIOS configuration proposal and would like to see if we still have chance to make some changes on it to reduce the efforts on both BMC and BIOS. Also get rid of using PLDM BIOS control/Configuration methodology because we can find the equivalent method if use Redfish service.
I understand that this proposal is focus on the early system firmware POST, and the firmware solution could be EDK2 + Linux boot. That means this firmware solution may not have the network driver stack to communicate with Redfish service through vNIC. So some ideas proposed here are understandable such as the special format of BIOS resource and the IPMI channel to BMC. However, some of the designs proposed here would be the additional effort to current system firmware (e.g. EDK2 PEI/ or early DXE phase) implementation and BMC as well.
The proprietary format of BIOS resource (Type 0/1) is one issue. We think it would be better to just leverage JSON format (which follows BIOS/AttributeRegistry data model) and carried by HTTP. The payload could be compressed by Redfish supported compress algorithm (gzip) and delivered over whatever non network stack based channel (e.g. IPMI proposed here) in the early POST.
With this, we may leverage system firmware drivers for building up the payload between BIOS and BMC. This could reduce system firmware effort and get rid of proprietary format of BIOS resource in XML. Furthermore, the architecture of OpenBMC Remote BIOS configuration would be more closer to the current Redfish service implementation. BMC can leverage the implementation of Redfish service if the payload is carried by HTTP message with JSON format which follow Redfish BIOS data model
We don't have much concerns of the transport layer between BMC<->BIOS because it is used in the early system POST, stay with IPMI looks fine for now.

Thanks
Abner

* Re: Question about OpenBMC Remote BIOS configuration proposal
@ 2020-07-23  9:21 ` Deepak Kodihalli
From: Deepak Kodihalli @ 2020-07-23  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chang, Abner (HPS SW/FW Technologist), suryakanth.sekar
  Cc: Garrett, Mike (HPE Server Firmware), openbmc, Wu, Frank (ISS Firmware)

On 23/07/20 2:04 pm, Chang, Abner (HPS SW/FW Technologist) wrote:
> Hi Sekar,
> This is Abner Chang from HPE Server BIOS team, our team is also working
> on UEFI/EDK2 Redfish open source solution (just FYI the POC code is
> almost done).
>
> I read through the Remote BIOS configuration proposal and would like to
> see if we still have chance to make some changes on it to reduce the
> efforts on both BMC and BIOS. Also get rid of using PLDM BIOS
> control/Configuration methodology because we can find the equivalent
> method if use Redfish service.

The design describes PLDM as one of the alternatives, but it is not the
only. The design talks about inband IPMI as well. In other words, the
design doesn't mandate what inband communication protocol BIOS and BMC
should use. On certain IBM systems, this protocol is PLDM.

Regards,
Deepak

* RE: Question about OpenBMC Remote BIOS configuration proposal
@ 2020-07-23 12:59   ` Chang, Abner (HPS SW/FW Technologist)
From: Chang, Abner (HPS SW/FW Technologist) @ 2020-07-23 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak Kodihalli, suryakanth.sekar
  Cc: Garrett, Mike (HPE Server Firmware), openbmc, Wu, Frank (ISS Firmware)

Thanks for the information Deepak,

I am afraid that once some code is contributed to the open source, then that code could become the standard implementation and used by BMC vendors. To support PLDM or other protocols between BIOS<->BMC result in the different implementations from BMC view point. Shall we standardize the spec and the implementation as well? If we would like to give the flexibility to support BIOS <-> BMC protocols for the remote BIOS configurations, shall we abstract some layers based on Remote BIOS configuration proposal? Thus OpenBMC can provide the generic (the base implementation) code for BIOS <-> BMC protocol and OEM provides the implementation of abstract driver/library?

Abner

@ 2020-07-23 13:15     ` Deepak Kodihalli
From: Deepak Kodihalli @ 2020-07-23 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chang, Abner (HPS SW/FW Technologist), suryakanth.sekar
  Cc: Garrett, Mike (HPE Server Firmware), openbmc, Wu, Frank (ISS Firmware)

On 23/07/20 6:29 pm, Chang, Abner (HPS SW/FW Technologist) wrote:
> Thanks for the information Deepak,
>
> I am afraid that once some code is contributed to the open source, then that code could become the standard implementation and used by BMC vendors. To support PLDM or other protocols between BIOS<->BMC result in the different implementations from BMC view point. Shall we standardize the spec and the implementation as well? If we would like to give the flexibility to support BIOS <-> BMC protocols for the remote BIOS configurations, shall we abstract some layers based on Remote BIOS configuration proposal? Thus OpenBMC can provide the generic (the base implementation) code for BIOS <-> BMC protocol and OEM provides the implementation of abstract driver/library?

Hi Abner,

I think the intent of the remote bios config app is aligned with what
you mention above. The app isn't tied up with any of the protocols -
IPMI, PLDM, Redfish etc. The abstraction the app relies on is D-Bus,
which is the the abstraction for several other OpenBMC apps. This app
will implement the following D-Bus interface -
https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-dbus-interfaces/blob/master/xyz/openbmc_project/BIOSConfig/Manager.interface.yaml.
This means apps like the IPMI and PLDM daemons have to convert their own
BIOS formats to this, and apps like webserver will convert between this
and Redfish.

The D-Bus API I pointed to above was recently merged via this commit :
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/openbmc/phosphor-dbus-interfaces/+/18242/

Regards,
Deepak

* RE: Question about OpenBMC Remote BIOS configuration proposal
@ 2020-07-27  7:16       ` Chang, Abner (HPS SW/FW Technologist)
From: Chang, Abner (HPS SW/FW Technologist) @ 2020-07-27  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak Kodihalli, suryakanth.sekar
  Cc: Garrett, Mike (HPE Server Firmware), openbmc, Wu, Frank (ISS Firmware)

Thanks Deepak, I think I am getting more understand the proposal delineated in this figure.

RBC daemon and D-Bus to RBC are standardized. However, there are two implementation samples  mentioned in this Doc (for BIOS provisioning/consume and modify settings) based on the RBC design. One is the proprietary format in XML over IPMI, another is PLDM over MCTP. Above are not standardized and could be replaced by OEM/Vendor if they don't like either one.  PLDM daemon is not the standard neither, that is only necessary for PLDM solution.
For the immediate update scenario, how BMC inform BIOS to update BIOS configurations is not standardized. SMI or other methods could be used to achieve immediate update.
Anything I missed?

thanks
Abner

@ 2020-07-27  8:42         ` Deepak Kodihalli
From: Deepak Kodihalli @ 2020-07-27  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chang, Abner (HPS SW/FW Technologist), suryakanth.sekar
  Cc: Garrett, Mike (HPE Server Firmware), openbmc, Wu, Frank (ISS Firmware)

On 27/07/20 12:46 pm, Chang, Abner (HPS SW/FW Technologist) wrote:
> Thanks Deepak, I think I am getting more understand the proposal delineated in this figure.
>
> RBC daemon and D-Bus to RBC are standardized. However, there are two implementation samples  mentioned in this Doc (for BIOS provisioning/consume and modify settings) based on the RBC design. One is the proprietary format in XML over IPMI, another is PLDM over MCTP. Above are not standardized and could be replaced by OEM/Vendor if they don't like either one.  PLDM daemon is not the standard neither, that is only necessary for PLDM solution.
You're right. Feel free to push a patch if the current doc doesn't make
it very clear that the proprietary and PLDM formats mentioned are just a
couple of example flows, and the not the only possible ones.

> For the immediate update scenario, how BMC inform BIOS to update BIOS configurations is not standardized. SMI or other methods could be used to achieve immediate update.

Right, again some kind of interrupt/signal the BMC can send and the BIOS
can understand.

> Anything I missed?

I believe you have the right understanding.

Regards,
Deepak

@ 2020-07-29  9:30   ` Sekar, Suryakanth
From: Sekar, Suryakanth @ 2020-07-29  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak Kodihalli, Chang, Abner (HPS SW/FW Technologist)
  Cc: Garrett, Mike (HPE Server Firmware), openbmc, Wu, Frank (ISS Firmware)

Sorry, I was Out of Office  few days and busy in other priority.

Abner,

we are supporting Intel uses  OEM IPMI command , IBM  uses  PLDM method
is transfer data from BIOS to the BMC.

In Intel, we are using (Intel prop) XML format which contain all needed
info  from BIOS to the BMC.

Let me know whats requirement. we can discuss the same.

This BIOS config -setting   should be generic.

Thanks

Suryakanth.S

@ 2020-07-31 14:20     ` Chang, Abner (HPS SW/FW Technologist)
From: Chang, Abner (HPS SW/FW Technologist) @ 2020-07-31 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak Kodihalli, Sekar, Suryakanth
  Cc: Garrett, Mike (HPE Server Firmware), openbmc, Wu, Frank (ISS Firmware)

Hi Sakar, thanks for the response.
After some conversations with OpenBMC people, I recognized RBC daemon is standardized and Intel or IBM have their own implementations to collaborate with RBC daemon.

For the OEM ipmi commands defined for BIOS and bmc communication, you probably can join  Redfish Host Interface meeting because we are defining the IPMI Redfish command in this meeting. You may also reach out to John Leun from intel, who is the representative of Intel for that meeting.

I may have PR of the Remote Bios  configuration document for some  cosmetic revises and make this spec more clear on system firmware point of view.

Thanks
Abner

@ 2020-07-31 14:54       ` Sekar, Suryakanth
From: Sekar, Suryakanth @ 2020-07-31 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)