* request for info on the list of parameters to tweak for PCIe SSDs
@ 2014-10-31 10:43 Lakshmi_Narayanan_Du
From: Lakshmi_Narayanan_Du @ 2014-10-31 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-ext4; +Cc: Lakshmi_Narayanan_Du

Hi,

Could you kindly help us with the list of all the xfs  file system parameters , that can be tweaked for the best performance of the PCIe based SSDs ?

Thanks,
Lakshmi

* Re: request for info on the list of parameters to tweak for PCIe SSDs
@ 2014-10-31 15:02 ` Theodore Ts'o
From: Theodore Ts'o @ 2014-10-31 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lakshmi_Narayanan_Du; +Cc: linux-ext4

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 04:13:38PM +0530, Lakshmi_Narayanan_Du@Dell.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could you kindly help us with the list of all the xfs  file system parameters , that can be tweaked for the best performance of the PCIe based SSDs ?

Um, wrong mailing list.  :-)

					- Ted

* Re: request for info on the list of parameters to tweak for PCIe SSDs
@ 2014-11-04  6:36   ` Dave Chinner
From: Dave Chinner @ 2014-11-04  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodore Ts'o; +Cc: Lakshmi_Narayanan_Du, linux-ext4

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 11:02:57AM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 04:13:38PM +0530, Lakshmi_Narayanan_Du@Dell.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Could you kindly help us with the list of all the xfs  file system parameters , that can be tweaked for the best performance of the PCIe based SSDs ?
>
> Um, wrong mailing list.  :-)

Even on the right mailing list I'll give the same answer:

http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q:_I_want_to_tune_my_XFS_filesystems_for_.3Csomething.3E

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner
david@fromorbit.com

* Re: request for info on the list of parameters to tweak for PCIe SSDs
@ 2014-10-31 16:22 ` Theodore Ts'o
From: Theodore Ts'o @ 2014-10-31 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lakshmi_Narayanan_Du; +Cc: linux-ext4

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 04:15:32PM +0530, Lakshmi_Narayanan_Du@Dell.com wrote:

> Could you kindly help us with the list of all the ext4  file system
> parameters , that can be tweaked for the best performance of the
> PCIe based SSDs ?

The main tuning parameter to use for PCIe based SSD's that I would
recommend is to use the dioread_nolock mount option.  Most other
tuning parameters would be very workload and hardware/configuration
depend.

Cheers,

						- Ted

* Re: request for info on the list of parameters to tweak for PCIe SSDs
@ 2014-10-31 12:10 ` Wang Shilong
From: Wang Shilong @ 2014-10-31 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lakshmi_Narayanan_Du; +Cc: linux-btrfs

Hi Lakshmi,

Personally, i haven’t done many benchmarks about performance tuning, but
there are some info you could refer to:

If you feel intrested, you could take a look at following url which offers btrfs mount options:
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/filesystems/btrfs.txt

And for Wiki, there are many information which might help you:
https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page

There are also some options that you could tune for mkfs, see detailed info
by ‘man mkfs.btrfs’.I supposed for example different ’nodesize/leafsize’
will have effects for performance. Also there are some new features Btrfs,
like skinny_metadata, no_holes etc, you could clone a Latest btrfs-progs tools from:
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/kdave/btrfs-progs.git/

Some features are not enabled by default(skinny_medata,no_holes etc),
but for benchmarking, you could turn on them and using latest kernel with latest btrfs-progs:

root@localhost autotest]# mkfs.btrfs -O list-all
Filesystem features available at mkfs time:
mixed-bg            - mixed data and metadata block groups (0x4)
extref              - increased hardlink limit per file to 65536 (0x40, default)
raid56              - raid56 extended format (0x80)
skinny-metadata     - reduced-size metadata extent refs (0x100)
no-holes            - no explicit hole extents for files (0x200)

It will be good that you could do some benchmarks for Btrfs with different parameters, and feel
free to let others know your results(i am also curious).^_^

Best Regards,
Wang Shilong

> Hi,
>
> Could you kindly help us with the list of all the btrfs  file system parameters , that can be tweaked for the best performance of the PCIe based SSDs ?
>
> Thanks,
> Lakshmi

Best Regards,
Wang Shilong

* Re: request for info on the list of parameters to tweak for PCIe SSDs
@ 2014-10-31 11:32 ` Hugo Mills
From: Hugo Mills @ 2014-10-31 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lakshmi_Narayanan_Du; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 03:56:15AM -0700, Lakshmi_Narayanan_Du@Dell.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could you kindly help us with the list of all the btrfs  file system parameters , that can be tweaked for the best performance of the PCIe based SSDs ?

   It should detect the ssd option automatically, but it doesn't hurt
to specify explicitly. You can use the discard option, but I would
only recommend it if the SSD supports queued TRIM -- the older
unqueued TRIM can cause massive performance problems.

   You may want to use autodefrag, which has less of an effect than it
would on a rotational disk, but will still help to keep the number of
extents down. That will reduce the metadata overhead.

   That's about all there is for btrfs-specific options, I think.

   Hugo.

  PGP key: 65E74AC0 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
                      --- make bzImage, not war ---

* request for info on the list of parameters to tweak for PCIe SSDs
@ 2014-10-31 10:56 Lakshmi_Narayanan_Du
From: Lakshmi_Narayanan_Du @ 2014-10-31 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs; +Cc: Lakshmi_Narayanan_Du

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8", Size: 301 bytes --]

Hi,

Could you kindly help us with the list of all the btrfs  file system parameters , that can be tweaked for the best performance of the PCIe based SSDs ?

Thanks,
Lakshmi
ÿôèº{.nÇ+‰·Ÿ®‰­†+%ŠËÿ±éݶ\x17¥Šwÿº{.nÇ+‰·¥Š{±ý»k~ÏâžØ^n‡r¡ö¦zË\x1aëh™¨è­Ú&£ûàz¿äz¹Þ—ú+€Ê+zf£¢·hšˆ§~†­†Ûiÿÿïêÿ‘êçz_è®\x0fæj:+v‰¨þ)ߣøm

* request for info on the list of parameters to tweak for PCIe SSDs
@ 2014-10-31 10:48 ` Lakshmi_Narayanan_Du
From: Lakshmi_Narayanan_Du @ 2014-10-31 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: r-btrfs, tobby; +Cc: linux-btrfs

@ 2014-10-31 10:45 Lakshmi_Narayanan_Du
From: Lakshmi_Narayanan_Du @ 2014-10-31 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-ext4; +Cc: Lakshmi_Narayanan_Du

Hi,

Could you kindly help us with the list of all the ext4  file system parameters , that can be tweaked for the best performance of the PCIe based SSDs ?

Thanks,
Lakshmi

* request for info on the list of parameters to tweak for PCIe SSDs
@ 2014-10-31 10:35 Lakshmi_Narayanan_Du
From: Lakshmi_Narayanan_Du @ 2014-10-31 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: r-btrfs, tobby; +Cc: linux-btrfs