* Dom0-DomU communication
@ 2010-02-17 22:00 Akshay Joglekar
From: Akshay Joglekar @ 2010-02-17 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Hi all,

I want to establish communication between dom0 and domU in order to send simple data such as a character string. What is the best way to go about this?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Akshay

* Re: Dom0-DomU communication
@ 2010-02-17 22:21 ` David
From: David @ 2010-02-17 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akshay Joglekar; +Cc: xen-devel

The Xenstore

On 17 February 2010 22:00, Akshay Joglekar <akshayj_18@yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to establish communication between dom0 and domU in order to send
> simple data such as a character string. What is the best way to go about
> this?
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
> Akshay

* Re: Dom0-DomU communication
@ 2010-02-18 23:19   ` Akshay Joglekar
From: Akshay Joglekar @ 2010-02-18 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: admin; +Cc: xen-devel

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. Can the XenStore also be used for transferring large amounts of data like a file? If not what can be used for file transfers between dom0 and domU?

Akshay

I want to establish communication between dom0 and domU in order to send simple data such as a character string. What is the best way to go about this?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Akshay

Xen-devel@lists.xensource.com

http://lists.xensource.com/xen-devel

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

* Re: Dom0-DomU communication
@ 2010-02-19  8:36     ` David
From: David @ 2010-02-19  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akshay Joglekar; +Cc: xen-devel

No not really, Go through a network for that.

It is really designed for small amounts of data, usually configuration
related.

In your original post you did say "in order to send simple data such as a
character string.",
for this use case I would use the xenstore, although its easy to read/write
to the xenstore in Linux guests, i'm not sure if the same utilities are
available in Windows.

On 18 February 2010 23:19, Akshay Joglekar <akshayj_18@yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Thanks for the reply. Can the XenStore also be used for transferring large
> amounts of data like a file? If not what can be used for file transfers
> between dom0 and domU?
>
> Akshay

* RE: Dom0-DomU communication
@ 2010-02-19 16:03       ` Dan Magenheimer
From: Dan Magenheimer @ 2010-02-19 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: admin, Akshay Joglekar; +Cc: xen-devel

As an example of small files being passed through Xenstore, look in the xen source tree under tools/xenballoon/xenballoond in the function send_memory_stats(),

which passes the contents of /proc/meminfo and /proc/vmstat via xenstore from a domU to dom0.  Note that the domU must have xenstore tools installed on it (which is often not installed by default).

Also note that this has likely never been tested with larger files or under heavy system loads, so probably shouldn't be relied on in a real production environment.  That's what networks (and iSCSI and SANs and NFS) are designed for.

I want to establish communication between dom0 and domU in order to send simple data such as a character string. What is the best way to go about this?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Akshay

  _____

Your Mail works best with the New Yahoo Optimized IE8. HYPERLINK "http://in.rd.yahoo.com/tagline_ie8_new/*http:/downloads.yahoo.com/in/internetexplorer/" \nGet it NOW!.

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

  _____

The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! HYPERLINK "http://in.rd.yahoo.com/tagline_yyi_1/*http:/in.yahoo.com/" \nSee your Yahoo! Homepage.

* RE: Dom0-DomU communication
@ 2010-02-19 19:53         ` Akshay Joglekar
From: Akshay Joglekar @ 2010-02-19 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Magenheimer, admin; +Cc: xen-devel

So, from all your inputs I understand that the XenStore is the best way for transferring small amounts of data, while network (through something like sockets) is good for file transfers.

I was also wondering if there are is any convenient way of using shared memory (apart from XenStore) for file transfers. Like mapping memory pages from 1 domain to another?

Thanks

Akshay

@ 2010-02-19 20:20           ` Dan Magenheimer
From: Dan Magenheimer @ 2010-02-19 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akshay Joglekar, admin; +Cc: xen-devel

Mapping memory pages betwen dom0 and domU can be done with a grant table, which is used heavily for paravirtualized device drivers.  (I’m fairly ignorant of the details, so maybe someone else will answer if you find that is a good direction to look.)  Doing something like Unix shared memory between domU and domU has been explored by various research projects (XenSocket and google for “xen inter domain memory sharing” for others) but I don’t think anything (other than grant tables) has ever made it upstream into Xen.

@ 2010-02-19 22:07           ` Daniel Stodden
From: Daniel Stodden @ 2010-02-19 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akshay Joglekar; +Cc: admin, Dan Magenheimer, xen-devel

On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 14:53 -0500, Akshay Joglekar wrote:
> So, from all your inputs I understand that the XenStore is the best
> way for transferring small amounts of data, while network (through
> something like sockets) is good for file transfers.
>
> I was also wondering if there are is any convenient way of using
> shared memory (apart from XenStore) for file transfers. Like mapping
> memory pages from 1 domain to another?

Use of memory sharing between guests typically takes a dedicated driver
and device class in both domU and dom0. Sure you can write one. Not so
sure if you should :)

There's also XenFS, but I never tried it out.
Maybe that's another option you might want to look into.

Daniel