* Busybox drop systemd support
@ 2016-07-27 17:17 ` Aníbal Limón
From: Aníbal Limón @ 2016-07-27 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer, OpenEmbedded Devel List

Hi folks,

I was working debugging an issue for missing /var/log/messages in
systemd/busybox images [1] and then i found that busybox drop support
for systemd from 1.25 version [2].

This ends in a set of questions of what we need to do in systemd/busybox
images since the next version of busybox will not support systemd,

I have a couple of ideas,

- Remove the support of busybox in systemd images?, this is the hard
one, we need an sw alternative here may be toybox...
- Maintain the systemd support in busybox?, the patch [2] is small atm
but in the future may be this will cause problems for maintain it.

Best regards,
	alimon

[1]
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/commit/?h=alimon/debug_times2&id=aa143dbe3cb233ee50944ebb62c541c823179a04
[2]
https://git.busybox.net/busybox/commit/?id=accd9eeb719916da974584b33b1aeced5f3bb346

From: Aníbal Limón @ 2016-07-27 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer, OpenEmbedded Devel List
  Cc: Richard Purdie

[...]

* Re: Busybox drop systemd support
@ 2016-07-27 17:58   ` Mark Hatle
From: Mark Hatle @ 2016-07-27 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aníbal Limón,
	Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer,
	OpenEmbedded Devel List

On 7/27/16 12:17 PM, Aníbal Limón wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I was working debugging an issue for missing /var/log/messages in
> systemd/busybox images [1] and then i found that busybox drop support
> for systemd from 1.25 version [2].
>
> This ends in a set of questions of what we need to do in systemd/busybox
> images since the next version of busybox will not support systemd,
>
> I have a couple of ideas,
>
> - Remove the support of busybox in systemd images?, this is the hard
> one, we need an sw alternative here may be toybox...
> - Maintain the systemd support in busybox?, the patch [2] is small atm
> but in the future may be this will cause problems for maintain it.

I know we've had customers who want a 'busybox free' system.  In YP 2.0 there
were still a few items provided by busybox, so just disabling it (blacklist)
wasn't easy.

This sounds like a good opportunity to make sure that you can make a system that
works with and without busybox.

With that said, looking at [2] below.  I don't see that busybox ever really
supported or not systemd (contrary to what it says.)

It just means if systemd is selected, and the user is using busybox -- you
should not use syslogd out of busybox.  I think this is a reasonable requirement
-- and something that should be fairly easy to implement.  (With systemd, I'm
not sure why you would want to use the busybox syslogd anyway.. it's too limited
IMHO.)

--Mark

> Best regards,
> 	alimon
>
> [1]
> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/commit/?h=alimon/debug_times2&id=aa143dbe3cb233ee50944ebb62c541c823179a04
> [2]
> https://git.busybox.net/busybox/commit/?id=accd9eeb719916da974584b33b1aeced5f3bb346

* Re: [OE-core] Busybox drop systemd support
@ 2016-07-27 17:58   ` Mark Hatle
From: Mark Hatle @ 2016-07-27 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aníbal Limón,

@ 2016-07-27 21:14     ` Aníbal Limón
From: Aníbal Limón @ 2016-07-27 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Hatle, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer,
	OpenEmbedded Devel List

On 07/27/2016 12:58 PM, Mark Hatle wrote:
> On 7/27/16 12:17 PM, Aníbal Limón wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I was working debugging an issue for missing /var/log/messages in
>> systemd/busybox images [1] and then i found that busybox drop support
>> for systemd from 1.25 version [2].
>>
>> This ends in a set of questions of what we need to do in systemd/busybox
>> images since the next version of busybox will not support systemd,
>>
>> I have a couple of ideas,
>>
>> - Remove the support of busybox in systemd images?, this is the hard
>> one, we need an sw alternative here may be toybox...
>> - Maintain the systemd support in busybox?, the patch [2] is small atm
>> but in the future may be this will cause problems for maintain it.
>
> I know we've had customers who want a 'busybox free' system.  In YP 2.0 there
> were still a few items provided by busybox, so just disabling it (blacklist)
> wasn't easy.
>
> This sounds like a good opportunity to make sure that you can make a system that
> works with and without busybox.

I agree, currently we have the option to use core-image-{full-cmdline,
lsb} that don't come with busybox but comes with standard linux
utilities may me not targeted for embedded systems. Will be good if we
could provide support for toybox or another busybox like implementation
of shell, tools.

> With that said, looking at [2] below.  I don't see that busybox ever really
> supported or not systemd (contrary to what it says.)

The support was very basic for enable busybox-syslog start/stop with
systemd.

> It just means if systemd is selected, and the user is using busybox -- you
> should not use syslogd out of busybox.  I think this is a reasonable requirement
> -- and something that should be fairly easy to implement.  (With systemd, I'm
> not sure why you would want to use the busybox syslogd anyway.. it's too limited
> IMHO.)

Yes that's an option to mantain to get rid of busybox-syslog and only
use systemd journald.

From: Aníbal Limón @ 2016-07-27 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Hatle, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer,
	OpenEmbedded Devel List