* Building of compat-wireless-old in 2.6.25 BSP kernel for PowerPC    architecture
@ 2010-01-26  6:44 PAN Sunny S K
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: PAN Sunny S K @ 2010-01-26  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Dear Sir,

My name is Sunny, I'm from the MTrec group in Hong Kong University of
Science and Technology. We are currently developing a network device which
will utilize the wireless technology. As part of the development, we are
examining different reference design from various companies. Currently
we've received a MPC8377EWLAN from Freescale which we will need to port
our application onto. Our application deployment on other device are
currently based on 802.11abg Atheros card with Madwifi driver. Starting
with this MPC8377EWLAN, we would like to trial with a new Atheros AR9160
802.11bgn card. Since the chipset is not supported by Madwifi, and the
driver provided by Freescale is proprietary and has problem with
wlanconfig list scan result, we try to build our own driver instead of
relying on Freescale.
The MPC8377EWLAN is using a PowerPC architecture MPC8377 CPU and the
firmware is built by using Freescale's LTIB, the kernel came with the LTIB
is 2.6.25 which is slightly different from the mainstream 2.6.25 kernel.
However, when I try to integrate the compat-wireless-old source into the
LTIB's 2.6.25 kernel, error comes up in socket.c and many other networking
source.
Therefore, I'd like to seek for some advice of whether the
compat-wireless-old could be compiled with linux kernels that is compiled
with BSP like LTIB. And how can I solve the building problem between the
compat-wireless-old and the 2.6.25 kernel?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Sunny Pan

* Re: Building of compat-wireless-old in 2.6.25 BSP kernel for PowerPC architecture
@ 2010-01-26  7:28 ` Pavel Roskin
From: Pavel Roskin @ 2010-01-26  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: PAN Sunny S K; +Cc: linux-wireless

Quoting PAN Sunny S K <sunnypan@ust.hk>:

> Our application deployment on other device are
> currently based on 802.11abg Atheros card with Madwifi driver. Starting
> with this MPC8377EWLAN, we would like to trial with a new Atheros AR9160
> 802.11bgn card. Since the chipset is not supported by Madwifi

Please check your facts.  MadWifi trunk supports AR9160 just fine,
albeit without 802.11n support.  If it doesn't work for you, please
report it to the MadWifi mailing list.

> The MPC8377EWLAN is using a PowerPC architecture MPC8377 CPU and the
> firmware is built by using Freescale's LTIB, the kernel came with the LTIB
> is 2.6.25 which is slightly different from the mainstream 2.6.25 kernel.
> However, when I try to integrate the compat-wireless-old source into the
> LTIB's 2.6.25 kernel, error comes up in socket.c and many other networking
> source.

Reports about errors without exact error messages are useless most of
the time.  One error message should be enough.

> Therefore, I'd like to seek for some advice of whether the
> compat-wireless-old could be compiled with linux kernels that is compiled
> with BSP like LTIB. And how can I solve the building problem between the
> compat-wireless-old and the 2.6.25 kernel?

You didn't describe the problem enough for somebody else to reproduce
it and identify it as being the same problem as the one you are
experiencing.

Pavel Roskin

* Re: Building of compat-wireless-old in 2.6.25 BSP kernel for PowerPC           architecture
@ 2010-01-26 16:31 ` X Xiao
From: X Xiao @ 2010-01-26 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless, PAN Sunny S K

I would recommend you upgrade your kernel to a newer version, where compat-wireless works better with. 83xx is well supported by newer kernels.
xxiao

@ 2010-01-26 16:53 ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2010-01-26 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: PAN Sunny S K; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:44 PM, PAN Sunny S K <sunnypan@ust.hk> wrote:
>And how can I solve the building problem between the
> compat-wireless-old and the 2.6.25 kernel?

compat-wireless-old is deprecated. I forked off a new compat-wireless
since mac80211 added multiqueue support a while ago, but recently
compat-wireless started to get support for older kernels again because
mac80211 stopped using the multiqueue support. By default the stable
compat-wireless releases up to the ones based on 2.6.32.3 had support
for kernels >= 2.6.25. Then if you enable only ath5k or ath9k you can
go even lower, to 2.6.23.

This all changed again for 2.6.32.4 where mac80211 once again
re-enabled multiqueue support but I did make an attempt to actually
backport that this time [1] down to 2.6.23 and actually even lower
kernels. That release hasn't been tested yet though so I'm waiting to
hear about results. I may get a chance to test a 2.6.23 kernel with
that snapshot at some point today, we'll see.

So apart from compat-wireless though you actually need the full SoC
support though and that is provided by openwrt but I am not sure down
to what kernel that is backported to. In any case you are better off
just upgrading to a newer kernel as others recommend.

[1] http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=126420655321607&w=2

  Luis

* Re: Building of compat-wireless-old in 2.6.25 BSP kernel for       PowerPC architecture
@ 2010-01-27 10:48   ` PAN Sunny S K
From: PAN Sunny S K @ 2010-01-27 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Hi,

Thanks Pavel, Xiao and especially Luis for their quick reply.
So as suggested, I'll firstly try to build the latest compat-wireless
driver with the 2.6.25 kernel. And update the kernel to 2.6.34 as the last
attempt which requires support from Freescale.

Let me briefly mention a little background and the problem I've
encountered when building the driver.

Our project is base on a Freescale MPC8377EWLAN reference design which
runs by a MPC8377 PowerQUICC II PowerPC processor. It uses LTIB to develop
and deploy BSP for this architecture and the Linux kernel version provided
is 2.6.25 (a slightly patched kernel to adapt the processor) The wireless
interface we're using is Wistron DNMA-83 (equivalent to Unex DNMA-83)
which uses Atheros AR9160 chipset.

To fully utilize the 802.11 a/b/g/n mode provided by the chipset (and the
proprietary driver came with the package has too many problems), we look
for the ath9k driver and would like to build it with the 2.6.25 kernel.

So what I did to build the driver is to provide the KLIB and KLIB_BUILD
with the path of 2.6.25 source and modified the CROSS_COMPILE variable in
the .config of the kernel to make sure it uses the MPC8377 toolchain to
compile the source. However, the following error occurred (With my latest
trial of the bleeding edge compat-wireless-2.6):

make -C /MyProject/ltib-mpc8377ewlan-20090922/rpm/BUILD/linux-2.6.25
M=/root/Desktop/compat-wireless-2009-12-11 modules
make[1]: Entering directory
`/MyProject/ltib-mpc8377ewlan-20090922/rpm/BUILD/linux-2.6.25'
  CC [M]
/root/Desktop/compat-wireless-2009-12-11/drivers/misc/eeprom/eeprom_93cx6.o
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-mno-red-zone"
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-mcmodel=kernel"
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-maccumulate-outgoing-args"
/root/Desktop/compat-wireless-2009-12-11/drivers/misc/eeprom/eeprom_93cx6.c:1:
error: -m64 not supported in this configuration
make[3]: ***
[/root/Desktop/compat-wireless-2009-12-11/drivers/misc/eeprom/eeprom_93cx6.o]
Error 1
make[2]: ***
[/root/Desktop/compat-wireless-2009-12-11/drivers/misc/eeprom] Error 2
make[1]: *** [_module_/root/Desktop/compat-wireless-2009-12-11] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/MyProject/ltib-mpc8377ewlan-20090922/rpm/BUILD/linux-2.6.25'
make: *** [modules] Error 2

I'm a newbie in linux development especially for embedded linux, so please
forgive me if any question I asked are too stupid or wrong in concept.

Thanks again for generous help from all you guys.

Best regards,
Sunny

* Re: Building of compat-wireless-old in 2.6.25 BSP kernel for PowerPC architecture
@ 2010-01-27 18:06     ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2010-01-27 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: PAN Sunny S K; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 2:48 AM, PAN Sunny S K <sunnypan@ust.hk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks Pavel, Xiao and especially Luis for their quick reply.
> So as suggested, I'll firstly try to build the latest compat-wireless
> driver with the 2.6.25 kernel. And update the kernel to 2.6.34 as the last
> attempt which requires support from Freescale.
>
> Let me briefly mention a little background and the problem I've
> encountered when building the driver.
>
> Our project is base on a Freescale MPC8377EWLAN reference design which
> runs by a MPC8377 PowerQUICC II PowerPC processor. It uses LTIB to develop
> and deploy BSP for this architecture and the Linux kernel version provided
> is 2.6.25 (a slightly patched kernel to adapt the processor) The wireless
> interface we're using is Wistron DNMA-83 (equivalent to Unex DNMA-83)
> which uses Atheros AR9160 chipset.
>
> To fully utilize the 802.11 a/b/g/n mode provided by the chipset (and the
> proprietary driver came with the package has too many problems), we look
> for the ath9k driver and would like to build it with the 2.6.25 kernel.
>
> So what I did to build the driver is to provide the KLIB and KLIB_BUILD
> with the path of 2.6.25 source and modified the CROSS_COMPILE variable in
> the .config of the kernel to make sure it uses the MPC8377 toolchain to
> compile the source. However, the following error occurred (With my latest
> trial of the bleeding edge compat-wireless-2.6):
>
> make -C /MyProject/ltib-mpc8377ewlan-20090922/rpm/BUILD/linux-2.6.25
> M=/root/Desktop/compat-wireless-2009-12-11 modules
> make[1]: Entering directory

compat-wireless-2009-12-11 is from a bleeding edge snapshot. Bleedign
edge snapshots
do not yet have MQ support backported, but MQ support was not merged
by then, so hmm...

OK try this:

./scripts/driver-select ath9k

That will only enable to compile ath9k.

If you hit a debugfs compile error then you've hit the other blocker
from backporting down to 2.6.23 on bleedigng edge.

If you want to try something that actually does compile for sure
against 2.6.25 try the stable compat-wireless for 2.6.32.5 and use
./scripts/driver-select:

http://bombadil.infradead.org/~mcgrof/tmp/compat-wireless-2.6.32.5-rc3.tar.bz2

  Luis

* Re: Building of compat-wireless-old in 2.6.25 BSP kernel for       PowerPC architecture
@ 2010-01-27 22:02     ` Pavel Roskin
From: Pavel Roskin @ 2010-01-27 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: PAN Sunny S K; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Wed, 2010-01-27 at 18:48 +0800, PAN Sunny S K wrote:

> So what I did to build the driver is to provide the KLIB and KLIB_BUILD
> with the path of 2.6.25 source and modified the CROSS_COMPILE variable in
> the .config of the kernel to make sure it uses the MPC8377 toolchain to
> compile the source. However, the following error occurred (With my latest
> trial of the bleeding edge compat-wireless-2.6):
>
> make -C /MyProject/ltib-mpc8377ewlan-20090922/rpm/BUILD/linux-2.6.25
> M=/root/Desktop/compat-wireless-2009-12-11 modules
> make[1]: Entering directory
> `/MyProject/ltib-mpc8377ewlan-20090922/rpm/BUILD/linux-2.6.25'
>   CC [M]
> /root/Desktop/compat-wireless-2009-12-11/drivers/misc/eeprom/eeprom_93cx6.o
> cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-mno-red-zone"
> cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-mcmodel=kernel"
> cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-maccumulate-outgoing-args"
> /root/Desktop/compat-wireless-2009-12-11/drivers/misc/eeprom/eeprom_93cx6.c:1:
> error: -m64 not supported in this configuration

It looks like the compiler just cannot compile the kernel code.
-maccumulate-outgoing-args is only used on the x86 architecture, so I
assume the build system is picking up x86 makefiles while using a
PowerPC compiler.

I think ARCH should be specified on the make command line in addition to
other arguments:

make ARCH=powerpc

Pavel Roskin

* Re: Building of compat-wireless-old in 2.6.25 BSP kernel for       PowerPC architecture
@ 2010-01-29  6:41       ` PAN Sunny S K
From: PAN Sunny S K @ 2010-01-29  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis R. Rodriguez; +Cc: PAN Sunny S K, linux-wireless

Hi,

Thanks Luis and also thanks Pavel for the using of ARCH argument.

I've sucessfully compiled the ath9k with the 2.6 rc5 given by Luis.
However, I encounter some dependency problem when running the ath.ko,
cfg80211.ko and rfkill_backport.ko (May see the log message at the end of
this email)
At the same time, I contacted Freescale for support, they recommended me
to use the latest trunk in OpenWrt which they had uploaded a patch for
MPC8377 instead of using the LTIB. Since OpenWrt using a newer 2.6.32
kernel (ath9k inclusive) which I may get better support for the
development.
Moreover, I found that the lacking of libnl and consequently the iw in
LTIB causes difficulties in the use of ath9k. Therefore, my focus for now
will goes to building of OpenWrt for the MPC8377EWLAN. (Although get stuck
in missing of the MPC83XX selection in the building config)
Anyway, Thanks for everyone's help and the great work of ath9k.

Best regards,
Sunny

P.S. This is the message when loading the driver modules at bootup FYI

ath: Unknown symbol wiphy_apply_custom_regulatory
ath: Unknown symbol freq_reg_info
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_crypto_get
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_ioctl_getwscie
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_ioctl_addmac
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_ioctl_delkey
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_set_txmode
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_ioctl_getkey
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_set_rate
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_getstastats
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_ioctl_getchaninfo
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_set_phy_mode
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_setparam
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_set_ap
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_set_essid
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_crypto_set
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_set_nickn
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_getwmmparams
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_ioctl_sendaddba
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_get_chanlist
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_get_frag
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_vdev_getstats
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_getcounter
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_get_nickn
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_ioctl_setaddbaresponse
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_set_power
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_handler_register
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_set_remote_acl_status
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_set_chanlist
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_ioctl_setkey
ath_pci: Unknown symbol set_quality
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_get_txpow
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_getstainfo
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_get_scan
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_getstats
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_ioctl_gethwdata
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_ioctl_getaddbastatus
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_ioctl_setoptie
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_ismodesupported
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_get_rate
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_get_ap
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_set_frag
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_set_channel
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_set_cwsize
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_get_phy_mode
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_newstate
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_get_channel_list
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_get_essid
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_ioctl_chanswitch
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_vdev_iw_getstats
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_set_txpow
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_ioctl_senddelba
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_set_mac_address
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_get_opmode
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_get_rate_list
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_set_scan
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_get_rts
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_ioctl_getwpaie
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_set_rts
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_handler_unregister
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_get_power
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_get_txmode
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_ioctl_delmac
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_getstrparam
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_ioctl_setmlme
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_getaddrparam
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_setwmmparams
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_get_wbuf
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_get_channel
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_iterate_vaps
ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_getparam
ath: Unknown symbol wiphy_apply_custom_regulatory
ath: Unknown symbol freq_reg_info
ath: Unknown symbol wiphy_apply_custom_regulatory
ath: Unknown symbol freq_reg_info
ath: Unknown symbol wiphy_apply_custom_regulatory
ath: Unknown symbol freq_reg_info
cfg80211: Unknown symbol backport_rfkill_blocked
cfg80211: Unknown symbol backport_rfkill_register
cfg80211: Unknown symbol backport_rfkill_destroy
cfg80211: Unknown symbol backport_rfkill_unregister
cfg80211: Unknown symbol backport_rfkill_resume_polling
cfg80211: Unknown symbol backport_rfkill_set_sw_state
cfg80211: Unknown symbol backport_rfkill_pause_polling
cfg80211: Unknown symbol backport_rfkill_set_hw_state
cfg80211: Unknown symbol backport_rfkill_alloc
rfkill_backport: Unknown symbol dev_set_name
rfkill_backport: Unknown symbol input_register_handle
rfkill_backport: Unknown symbol input_open_device
rfkill_backport: Unknown symbol led_trigger_unregister
rfkill_backport: Unknown symbol input_close_device
rfkill_backport: Unknown symbol input_unregister_handler
rfkill_backport: Unknown symbol input_register_handler
rfkill_backport: Unknown symbol led_trigger_register
rfkill_backport: Unknown symbol input_unregister_handle
rfkill_backport: Unknown symbol led_trigger_event

@ 2010-01-29 17:35         ` Pavel Roskin
From: Pavel Roskin @ 2010-01-29 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: PAN Sunny S K; +Cc: Luis R. Rodriguez, linux-wireless

On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 14:41 +0800, PAN Sunny S K wrote:

> P.S. This is the message when loading the driver modules at bootup FYI
>
> ath: Unknown symbol wiphy_apply_custom_regulatory
> ath: Unknown symbol freq_reg_info

modprobe should be able to resolve such dependencies.  If you have to
use insmod, you'll need to load the required modules first.  It may be
tricky to figure out.  You could just try loading all modules you have
in a loop until they all load.  That way you'll find the dependencies.

> ath_pci: Unknown symbol ath_config_crypto_get

ath_pci is a module from MadWifi.  Yet the only reference to
ath_config_crypto_get Google can find is your message.

My guess is that you have some proprietary Atheros driver on the system.
It shouldn't be a big deal that it fails to load, but you may want to
remove it to see error messages that really matter.

Pavel Roskin

* Re: Building of compat-wireless-old in 2.6.25 BSP kernel for PowerPC architecture
@ 2010-02-01  4:06           ` PAN Sunny S K
From: PAN Sunny S K @ 2010-02-01  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Roskin; +Cc: PAN Sunny S K, Luis R. Rodriguez, linux-wireless

Hi Pavel,

It is unfortunate that the ath_pci is dependent on ath. Moreover, after
some trial, found that the rfkill_backport and cfg80211 also have problem
in loading which is possibly due to the lacking of other symbolic link in
the current kernel or other modules.
Since other issues (iw, libnl... etc) makes the difficulties in
integrating ath9k into the current LTIB harder than using of OpenWrt with
the latest kernel  (although still have some problem in building of
OpenWrt for the platform). I've since moved the effort to building of
OpenWrt.
Anyhow, many thanks for the advice and below please find a snapshot of the
error output from the ath9k with kernel 2.6.25 from LTIB for your future
reference.

@ 2010-02-01  4:14             ` Gábor Stefanik
From: Gábor Stefanik @ 2010-02-01  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: PAN Sunny S K; +Cc: Pavel Roskin, Luis R. Rodriguez, linux-wireless

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 5:06 AM, PAN Sunny S K <sunnypan@ust.hk> wrote:
> Hi Pavel,
>
> It is unfortunate that the ath_pci is dependent on ath.

No, you shouldn't even try to load ath_pci - ath_pci is part of
Madwifi, you need to load ath9k instead.

BTW are you loading the modules using modprobe or insmod?

> [...]
>
> rfkill_backport: Unknown symbol led_trigger_unregister
>
> rfkill_backport: Unknown symbol input_close_device
>
> rfkill_backport: Unknown symbol input_unregister_handler
>
> rfkill_backport: Unknown symbol input_register_handler
>
> rfkill_backport: Unknown symbol led_trigger_register
>
> rfkill_backport: Unknown symbol input_unregister_handle
>
> rfkill_backport: Unknown symbol led_trigger_event
>
> cfg80211: Unknown symbol backport_rfkill_blocked
>
> cfg80211: Unknown symbol backport_rfkill_register
>
> cfg80211: Unknown symbol backport_rfkill_destroy
>
> cfg80211: Unknown symbol backport_rfkill_unregister
>
> cfg80211: Unknown symbol backport_rfkill_resume_polling
>
> cfg80211: Unknown symbol backport_rfkill_set_sw_state
>
> cfg80211: Unknown symbol backport_rfkill_pause_polling
>
> cfg80211: Unknown symbol backport_rfkill_set_hw_state
>
> cfg80211: Unknown symbol backport_rfkill_alloc

Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)

* Re: Building of compat-wireless-old in 2.6.25 BSP kernel for PowerPC architecture
@ 2010-02-01  4:29               ` PAN Sunny S K
From: PAN Sunny S K @ 2010-02-01  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: G�bor Stefanik
  Cc: PAN Sunny S K, Pavel Roskin, Luis R. Rodriguez, linux-wireless

> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 5:06 AM, PAN Sunny S K <sunnypan@ust.hk> wrote:
>> Hi Pavel,
>>
>> It is unfortunate that the ath_pci is dependent on ath.
>
> No, you shouldn't even try to load ath_pci - ath_pci is part of
> Madwifi, you need to load ath9k instead.
>
> BTW are you loading the modules using modprobe or insmod?

Thanks, both insmod and modprobe for ath produces the same result:

ath: Unknown symbol wiphy_apply_custom_regulatory
ath: Unknown symbol freq_reg_info

modprobe for rfkill_backport and cfg80211 even produce not found error and
only insmod will produce the provided snapshot.

@ 2010-02-01 18:03                 ` Gábor Stefanik
From: Gábor Stefanik @ 2010-02-01 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: PAN Sunny S K; +Cc: Pavel Roskin, Luis R. Rodriguez, linux-wireless

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 5:29 AM, PAN Sunny S K <sunnypan@ust.hk> wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 5:06 AM, PAN Sunny S K <sunnypan@ust.hk> wrote:
>>> Hi Pavel,
>>>
>>> It is unfortunate that the ath_pci is dependent on ath.
>>
>> No, you shouldn't even try to load ath_pci - ath_pci is part of
>> Madwifi, you need to load ath9k instead.
>>
>> BTW are you loading the modules using modprobe or insmod?
>>

> Thanks, both insmod and modprobe for ath produces the same result:
>
> ath: Unknown symbol wiphy_apply_custom_regulatory
> ath: Unknown symbol freq_reg_info
>
> modprobe for rfkill_backport and cfg80211 even produce not found error and
> only insmod will produce the provided snapshot.

Did you install compat-wireless, or only compile it? Also, try running
depmod. (Modprobe not finding modules is a sign of an incorrectly
installed module.)

@ 2010-02-02 12:15                   ` Sunny Pan
From: Sunny Pan @ 2010-02-02 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Stefanik; +Cc: Pavel Roskin, Luis R. Rodriguez, linux-wireless

Thanks Pavel,
I compiled it (cross compile) for the powerpc MPC8377 platform so it
is even more trickier as the things may not works as much same as for
the pc

Best regards
Sunny