* Too much print of testpmd
@ 2017-04-26  5:10 Lu, Wenzhuo
From: Lu, Wenzhuo @ 2017-04-26  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gaetan.rivet; +Cc: dev, Wu, Jingjing

Hi Gaetan,
When using DPDK PF + DPDK VF, there's too much print like,
Port 0: VF Mbox event

Port 0: VF Mbox event

Port 0: VF Mbox event

Port 0: VF Mbox event

Port 0: VF Mbox event

Port 0: VF Mbox event

Port 0: VF Mbox event

Port 0: VF Mbox event

Port 0: VF Mbox event

Make it a little hard to type a CLI.
I think it's introduced by this commit,
commit 76ad4a2d82d4d72c3a7ed4675d77268b5fae3cc9
Author: Gaetan Rivet <gaetan.rivet@6wind.com>
Date:   Tue Apr 18 14:17:40 2017 +0200

    app/testpmd: add generic event handler

    This is a rather simple handler that prints a message with the name of
    the current event. It can be used to check PMD callback registration and
triggers.

Seems it's not good to print every event directly. If it's necessary, is it better to redirect the output to a log file?
Thanks.

Best regards
Wenzhuo Lu

* Re: Too much print of testpmd
@ 2017-04-26  9:05 ` Gaëtan Rivet
From: Gaëtan Rivet @ 2017-04-26  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lu, Wenzhuo; +Cc: dev, Wu, Jingjing

Hi Wenzhuo,

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 05:10:44AM +0000, Lu, Wenzhuo wrote:
>   Hi Gaetan,
>
>   When using DPDK PF + DPDK VF, there's too much print like,
>
>   Port 0: VF Mbox event
>

>   Seems it's not good to print every event directly. If it's necessary, is
>   it better to redirect the output to a log file?
>
>   Thanks.

I'm not convinced of the logfile solution. I'd like to keep it simple
and contained. Logfile means having to provide a name, or use a default
one with several drawbacks, and a pretty leaky design.

I will add a handle mask that will enable or disable this logging
feature. The default mask would then enable it for LSC and other such
sporadic events, while disabling it for the VF Mbox one. It will be able
to be fine-tuned and configured at runtime by a parameter and/or testpmd
command.

I'll propose it soon.

--
Gaëtan Rivet
6WIND

* Re: Too much print of testpmd
@ 2017-04-27  0:51   ` Lu, Wenzhuo
From: Lu, Wenzhuo @ 2017-04-27  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gaëtan Rivet; +Cc: dev, Wu, Jingjing

Hi Gaëtan,

Agree. Log file may be too heavy. The switches for the print is good enough.