* Re: Show and Tell: Grafana cluster dashboard
       [not found] <"H000007100119c41.1525680369.sx.f1-outsourcing.eu*"@MHS>
@ 2018-05-07 14:53 ` Reed Dier
       [not found]   ` <6A5C4896-0EFA-4F2E-8963-2DFA7D78C48D-uHprvc9sRvVBDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Reed Dier @ 2018-05-07 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jfajerski; +Cc: ceph-devel, ceph-users

I’ll +1 on InfluxDB rather than Prometheus, though I think having a version for each infrastructure path would be best.
I’m sure plenty here have existing InfluxDB infrastructure as their TSDB of choice, and moving to Prometheus would be less advantageous.

Conversely, I’m sure all of the Prometheus folks would be less inclined to move to InfluxDB for TSDB, so I think supporting both paths would be the best choice.

Reed

@ 2018-05-08  5:21     ` Kai Wagner
       [not found]       ` <b461c88c-9789-9a17-e67d-a4913c15466f-IBi9RG/b67k@public.gmane.org>
From: Kai Wagner @ 2018-05-08  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reed Dier, jfajerski; +Cc: ceph-devel, ceph-users

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 604 bytes --]

Looks very good. Is it anyhow possible to display the reason why a
cluster is in an error or warning state? Thinking about the output from
ceph -s if this could by shown in case there's a failure. I think this
will not be provided by default but wondering if it's possible to add.

Kai

On 05/07/2018 04:53 PM, Reed Dier wrote:
> I think supporting both paths would be the best choice.
That's the way we should go. Supporting both or in general as much as
possible (try to be generic)

@ 2018-06-04 10:56         ` Lenz Grimmer
From: Lenz Grimmer @ 2018-06-04 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ceph-devel, ceph-users

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1120 bytes --]

On 05/08/2018 07:21 AM, Kai Wagner wrote:

> Looks very good. Is it anyhow possible to display the reason why a
> cluster is in an error or warning state? Thinking about the output from
> ceph -s if this could by shown in case there's a failure. I think this
> will not be provided by default but wondering if it's possible to add.

Sorry for the late reply. We actually discussed this aspect during one
of the calls we had when discussing the Grafana dashboard integration
into the Ceph Manager Dashboard. Such kind of state information is
somewhat difficult to track and visualize using Prometheus/Grafana (or
any other TSDB, FWIW), as you can't store the actual reasons for why the
cluster is in HEALTH_WARN or HEALTH_ERR, for example.

We are therefore considering displaying this information in the form of
"native" widgets on the Manager Dashboard, and using the Grafana
dashboards for visualizing the other more suitable performance metrics.

Lenz

--
SUSE Linux GmbH - Maxfeldstr. 5 - 90409 Nuernberg (Germany)
GF:Felix Imendörffer,Jane Smithard,Graham Norton,HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)

* Re: Show and Tell: Grafana cluster dashboard
       [not found]     ` <007c00b9-34c9-2871-6bc9-d9aa7bf5dede-4JhlDu4IDl0juwv8T7myQQ@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-05-07 13:12       ` Jan Fajerski
From: Jan Fajerski @ 2018-05-07 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kurt Bauer; +Cc: ceph-devel, ceph-users

On Mon, May 07, 2018 at 02:45:14PM +0200, Kurt Bauer wrote:

>>Jan Fajerski <mailto:jfajerski-IBi9RG/b67k@public.gmane.org>
>>7. May 2018 at 14:21
>>On Mon, May 07, 2018 at 02:05:59PM +0200, Kurt Bauer wrote:
>>>  Hi Jan,
>>>  first of all thanks for this dashboard.
>>>  A few comments:
>>>  -) 'vonage-status-panel' is needed, which isn't mentioned in the
>>>ReadMe
>>Yes, my bad. Will update the README
>>>  -) Using ceph 12.2.4 the mon metric for me is apparently called
>>>  'ceph_mon_quorum_count' not 'ceph_mon_quorum_status'
>>I'll also add to the readme: The dashboard is based on Ceph Mimic.
>>>  And a question:
>>>  Is there a way to get the Cluster IOPS with prometheus metrics? I did
>>>  this with collectd, but can't find a suitable metric from ceph-mgr.
>>Yes...at least in Mimic the metrics are called ceph_osd_op[_r,_w,_rw]
>Thanks, these metrics are in Luminous too. I seem unable to find some
>sort of register, to see which metrics mean what. Some are quite
>obvious, but others are a mystery. Does smth. like that exist
>somewhere?
Not yet.
Most daemon specific metric names (like ceph_osd_op[_r,_w,_rw) are derived
directly from the respective perf counter names. The plugin exports all perf
counters with PRIO_INTERESTING or higher (iirc).
An automatically created index would certainly be feasible.

>Thanks.
>
>>>  Best regards,
>>>  Kurt
>>>
>>>  [1]Jan Fajerski
>>>  7. May 2018 at 12:32
>>>
>>>  Hi all,
>>>  I'd like to request comments and feedback about a Grafana
>>>dashboard for
>>>  Ceph cluster monitoring.
>>>  [2]https://youtu.be/HJquM127wMY
>>>  [3]https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/21850
>>>  The goal is to eventually have a set of default dashboards in the Ceph
>>>  repository that offer decent monitoring for clusters of various (maybe
>>>  even all) sizes and applications, or at least serve as a
>>>starting point
>>>  for customizations.
>>>  --
>>>  in
>>>  the body of a message to [4]majordomo-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA@public.gmane.org
>>>  More majordomo info at [5]http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
>>>
>>>References
>>>
>>>  1. mailto:jfajerski-IBi9RG/b67k@public.gmane.org
>>>  2. https://youtu.be/HJquM127wMY
>>>  3. https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/21850
>>>  4. mailto:majordomo-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA@public.gmane.org
>>>  5. http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

>>Kurt Bauer <mailto:kurt.bauer-4JhlDu4IDl0juwv8T7myQQ@public.gmane.org>
>>7. May 2018 at 14:05
>>Hi Jan,
>>
>>first of all thanks for this dashboard.
>>A few comments:
>>-) 'vonage-status-panel' is needed, which isn't mentioned in the ReadMe
>>-) Using ceph 12.2.4 the mon metric for me is apparently called
>>'ceph_mon_quorum_count' not 'ceph_mon_quorum_status'
>>
>>And a question:
>>Is there a way to get the Cluster IOPS with prometheus metrics? I
>>did this with collectd, but can't find a suitable metric from
>>ceph-mgr.
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Kurt

>--
>
>Kurt Bauer<kurt.bauer-4JhlDu4IDl0juwv8T7myQQ@public.gmane.org>
>Vienna University Computer Center - ACOnet - VIX
>Universitaetsstrasse 7, A-1010 Vienna, Austria, Europe
>Tel: ++431 4277  - 14070 (Fax: - 814070)  KB1970-RIPE

Jan Fajerski
Engineer Enterprise Storage
HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)

* Re: Show and Tell: Grafana cluster dashboard
       [not found] ` <328d036f-87be-c85f-1d48-605edb3a0c63-4JhlDu4IDl0juwv8T7myQQ@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-05-07 12:45   ` Kurt Bauer
       [not found]     ` <007c00b9-34c9-2871-6bc9-d9aa7bf5dede-4JhlDu4IDl0juwv8T7myQQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Kurt Bauer @ 2018-05-07 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)