* [Qemu-devel] New wiki page: http://wiki.qemu.org/Hosts
@ 2016-12-02 22:59 Programmingkid
From: Programmingkid @ 2016-12-02 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini; +Cc: qemu-devel qemu-devel

I thought we could use a Hosts page to sort all the host documentation we have. It is located here: http://wiki.qemu.org/Hosts

Here is what I have so far:

AIX
Darwin
FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD
Linux
Mac OS X
Solaris
Windows

* Re: [Qemu-devel] New wiki page: http://wiki.qemu.org/Hosts
@ 2016-12-03  8:41 ` Paolo Bonzini
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2016-12-03  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Programmingkid; +Cc: qemu-devel qemu-devel

On 02/12/2016 23:59, Programmingkid wrote:
> I thought we could use a Hosts page to sort all the host documentation we have. It is located here: http://wiki.qemu.org/Hosts
>
> Here is what I have so far:
>
> AIX
> Darwin
> FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD
> Linux
> Mac OS X
> Solaris
> Windows

Since this stuff changes rarely, it should be in the source tree
instead.  You can link to the source tree from the wiki with something
like this:

{{src|path=BUILDING|description=the BUILDING file in the source tree}}

Would you like to make a patch moving the information from the wiki to
such a file?

Paolo

* Re: [Qemu-devel] New wiki page: http://wiki.qemu.org/Hosts
@ 2016-12-03  8:57 ` Thomas Huth
From: Thomas Huth @ 2016-12-03  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Programmingkid, Paolo Bonzini; +Cc: qemu-devel qemu-devel

On 02.12.2016 23:59, Programmingkid wrote:
> I thought we could use a Hosts page to sort all the host documentation we have. It is located here: http://wiki.qemu.org/Hosts

Since it's documentation, shouldn't this rather go to
/Documentation/Hosts instead of /Hosts ?

 Thomas

* Re: [Qemu-devel] New wiki page: http://wiki.qemu.org/Hosts
@ 2016-12-03 16:23   ` Programmingkid
From: Programmingkid @ 2016-12-03 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini; +Cc: qemu-devel qemu-devel

On Dec 3, 2016, at 3:41 AM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> On 02/12/2016 23:59, Programmingkid wrote:
>> I thought we could use a Hosts page to sort all the host documentation we have. It is located here: http://wiki.qemu.org/Hosts
>>
>> Here is what I have so far:
>>
>> AIX
>> Darwin
>> FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD
>> Linux
>> Mac OS X
>> Solaris
>> Windows
>>

> Since this stuff changes rarely, it should be in the source tree
> instead.  You can link to the source tree from the wiki with something
> like this:
>
> {{src|path=BUILDING|description=the BUILDING file in the source tree}}
>
> Would you like to make a patch moving the information from the wiki to
> such a file?

I'm not quite sure how to do that.

When I tried out your link it failed to open the file. The file isn't found.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] New wiki page: http://wiki.qemu.org/Hosts
@ 2016-12-03 16:30   ` Programmingkid
From: Programmingkid @ 2016-12-03 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Huth; +Cc: Paolo Bonzini, qemu-devel qemu-devel

It is easier to type http://wiki.qemu.org/Hosts than http://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Hosts. Otherwise I don't have any objection to such a change.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] New wiki page: http://wiki.qemu.org/Hosts
@ 2016-12-05  9:15     ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2016-12-05  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Programmingkid; +Cc: qemu-devel qemu-devel

> On Dec 3, 2016, at 3:41 AM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> > On 02/12/2016 23:59, Programmingkid wrote:
> >> I thought we could use a Hosts page to sort all the host documentation we
> >> have. It is located here: http://wiki.qemu.org/Hosts
> >>
> >> Here is what I have so far:
> >>
> >> AIX
> >> Darwin
> >> FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD
> >> Linux
> >> Mac OS X
> >> Solaris
> >> Windows
> >>

> > Since this stuff changes rarely, it should be in the source tree
> > instead.  You can link to the source tree from the wiki with something
> > like this:
> >
> > {{src|path=BUILDING|description=the BUILDING file in the source tree}}
> >
> > Would you like to make a patch moving the information from the wiki to
> > such a file?
>
> I'm not quite sure how to do that.
>
> When I tried out your link it failed to open the file. The file isn't found.

I'm asking you to write it.

Paolo

* Re: [Qemu-devel] New wiki page: http://wiki.qemu.org/Hosts
@ 2016-12-05 10:57   ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2016-12-05 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini; +Cc: Programmingkid, qemu-devel qemu-devel

On 3 December 2016 at 08:41, Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@redhat.com> wrote:
> Since this stuff changes rarely, it should be in the source tree
> instead.  You can link to the source tree from the wiki with something
> like this:
>
> {{src|path=BUILDING|description=the BUILDING file in the source tree}}
>
> Would you like to make a patch moving the information from the wiki to
> such a file?

How would this differ from the "Building" section in the README
in the source tree?

thanks
-- PMM

* Re: [Qemu-devel] New wiki page: http://wiki.qemu.org/Hosts
@ 2016-12-05 11:01     ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2016-12-05 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell; +Cc: Programmingkid, qemu-devel qemu-devel

> > Since this stuff changes rarely, it should be in the source tree
> > instead.  You can link to the source tree from the wiki with something
> > like this:
> >
> > {{src|path=BUILDING|description=the BUILDING file in the source tree}}
> >
> > Would you like to make a patch moving the information from the wiki to
> > such a file?
>
> How would this differ from the "Building" section in the README
> in the source tree?

Looking at the wiki pages, it would have information on how to get QEMU's
dependencies.

Paolo

* Re: [Qemu-devel] New wiki page: http://wiki.qemu.org/Hosts
@ 2016-12-05 13:47   ` G 3
From: G 3 @ 2016-12-05 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini; +Cc: qemu-devel qemu-devel

On Dec 3, 2016, at 3:41 AM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> On 02/12/2016 23:59, Programmingkid wrote:
>> I thought we could use a Hosts page to sort all the host
>> documentation we have. It is located here: http://wiki.qemu.org/Hosts
>>
>> Here is what I have so far:
>>
>> AIX
>> Darwin
>> FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD
>> Linux
>> Mac OS X
>> Solaris
>> Windows
>>

> Since this stuff changes rarely, it should be in the source tree
> instead.  You can link to the source tree from the wiki with something
> like this:
>
> {{src|path=BUILDING|description=the BUILDING file in the source tree}}
>
> Would you like to make a patch moving the information from the wiki to
> such a file?
>
> Paolo

I think I now know what you want. You want a shell script that would
take each link in the http://wiki.qemu.org/Hosts file, convert the
html data into text of the linked file, then append that text to a
file called BUILDING. So in the end we have a file called BUILDING
that would look like this:

QEMU Building Directions:

AIX

Darwin

FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD

Linux

Mac OS X

Solaris

Windows

So now I have to figure out which commands to use. This script would
have to work on all operating systems that QEMU is built on. This
page has some pretty good information on how to do this: http://
stackoverflow.com/questions/12422289/bash-command-to-covert-html-page-
to-a-text-file

I think I will work on a python script to do this job.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] New wiki page: http://wiki.qemu.org/Hosts
@ 2016-12-05 14:15     ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2016-12-05 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: G 3, qemu-devel

On 05/12/2016 14:47, G 3 wrote:

> So now I have to figure out which commands to use. This script would
> have to work on all operating systems that QEMU is built on. This page
> has some pretty good information on how to do this:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12422289/bash-command-to-covert-html-page-to-a-text-file

No, I just want to do that once and get rid of the Hosts/ pages.

Paolo

* Re: [Qemu-devel] New wiki page: http://wiki.qemu.org/Hosts
@ 2016-12-05 14:25       ` G 3
From: G 3 @ 2016-12-05 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini; +Cc: qemu-devel

On Dec 5, 2016, at 9:15 AM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> On 05/12/2016 14:47, G 3 wrote:
>>
>> So now I have to figure out which commands to use. This script would
>> have to work on all operating systems that QEMU is built on. This
>> page
>> has some pretty good information on how to do this:
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12422289/bash-command-to-covert-
>> html-page-to-a-text-file
>
> No, I just want to do that once and get rid of the Hosts/ pages.
>
> Paolo

Really? Why? I thought they were very useful. Where would people who
are doing a web search go for building information?

* Re: [Qemu-devel] New wiki page: http://wiki.qemu.org/Hosts
@ 2016-12-05 15:23         ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2016-12-05 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: G 3; +Cc: qemu-devel

> On Dec 5, 2016, at 9:15 AM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> > On 05/12/2016 14:47, G 3 wrote:
> > > So now I have to figure out which commands to use. This script would
> > > have to work on all operating systems that QEMU is built on. This
> > > page
> > > has some pretty good information on how to do this:
> > > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12422289/bash-command-to-covert-
> > > html-page-to-a-text-file
> >
> > No, I just want to do that once and get rid of the Hosts/ pages.
> >
> > Paolo
>
> Really? Why? I thought they were very useful. Where would people who
> are doing a web search go for building information?

To http://www.quasiquark.com/download/#source in the new website, which
would have a link to the BUILDING file.

Paolo