* RE: Fresh setup....
@ 2004-09-21  9:26 peter.greis
From: peter.greis @ 2004-09-21  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thunder7; +Cc: linux-raid

An excellent idea. Maybe someone has insight into the next hurdle... it looks like there is nVidia nForce3 support in 2.6.8.1 (sata_nv). I have built this kernel (make oldconfig and the like), but on boot I get a slew of messages (ata_) which seem to indicate that libata is not loaded. Which option do I need in my .config to get this built in ?

I have also come across http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2300 which would make me think I'm sol anyway...

Thanks to everyone for all of the help,

-Peter

From: peter.greis@ubs.com <peter.greis@ubs.com>
Date: Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 03:21:26PM +0200
> OK, I believe that I have determined that I need a newer kernel (2.6.7 or later) to get this new mobo running (Asus K8N-E deluxe) with RAID-1 OS disks. Is my only option here to build up the system on a normal IDE drive, get the kernel rebuilt and up to date, configure the raid, then "dd" the partitions over ?

Why not just unplug one of the drives and resync when you have your new
kernel up and running? The usual precautions apply (tested backups etc).

Good luck,
Jurriaan
--
Linux is obsolete
	Andrew Tanenbaum

* Re: Fresh setup....
@ 2004-09-20 17:20 ` Jurriaan
From: Jurriaan @ 2004-09-20 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: peter.greis; +Cc: linux-raid

From: peter.greis@ubs.com <peter.greis@ubs.com>
Date: Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 03:21:26PM +0200
> OK, I believe that I have determined that I need a newer kernel (2.6.7 or later) to get this new mobo running (Asus K8N-E deluxe) with RAID-1 OS disks. Is my only option here to build up the system on a normal IDE drive, get the kernel rebuilt and up to date, configure the raid, then "dd" the partitions over ?

Why not just unplug one of the drives and resync when you have your new
kernel up and running? The usual precautions apply (tested backups etc).

Good luck,
Jurriaan
--
Linux is obsolete
	Andrew Tanenbaum
Debian (Unstable) GNU/Linux 2.6.9-rc1-mm4 2x6209 bogomips load 1.38

* Fresh setup....
@ 2004-09-20 13:21 peter.greis
From: peter.greis @ 2004-09-20 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

OK, I believe that I have determined that I need a newer kernel (2.6.7 or later) to get this new mobo running (Asus K8N-E deluxe) with RAID-1 OS disks. Is my only option here to build up the system on a normal IDE drive, get the kernel rebuilt and up to date, configure the raid, then "dd" the partitions over ?

regards,

-Peter