* HOWTO use Virtual Hard Disk - VHD with Xen domUs?
@ 2009-08-06  0:28 Thiago Camargo Martins Cordeiro
From: Thiago Camargo Martins Cordeiro @ 2009-08-06  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xen List, xen-devel

Hi guys!
 I want to use the Virtual Hard Disk format, I mean, I want a 40G base image
and 10 Windows servers on top of this image, using the differential feature
for save space on my storage... how to do that?

 What version of open source Xen supports VHD file format?

 Have Citrix XenServer 5.5 (Free) support for it?

Cheers!
Thiago

* Re: HOWTO use Virtual Hard Disk - VHD with Xen domUs?
@ 2009-08-06  6:54 ` J. Roeleveld
From: J. Roeleveld @ 2009-08-06  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

On Thursday 06 August 2009 02:28:24 Thiago Camargo Martins Cordeiro wrote:
> Hi guys!
>  I want to use the Virtual Hard Disk format, I mean, I want a 40G base
> image and 10 Windows servers on top of this image, using the differential
> feature for save space on my storage... how to do that?
>
>  What version of open source Xen supports VHD file format?
>
>  Have Citrix XenServer 5.5 (Free) support for it?
>
> Cheers!
> Thiago

Hi Thiago,

I'm not sure if VHD is (or will be) supported with Xen. Someone else might be
able to answer that question.

But why not look into using LVM and COW (Copy-On-Write) volumes?
This would allow you to create a base image and link the Guests to COW-volumes
based on this image.

The end result would be the same and LVM is a proven technology.

--
Joost Roeleveld

* Re: HOWTO use Virtual Hard Disk - VHD with Xen domUs?
@ 2009-08-06 10:32 ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2009-08-06 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thiago Camargo Martins Cordeiro; +Cc: xen-devel, Xen List

On Thu, 6 Aug 2009, Thiago Camargo Martins Cordeiro wrote:
> Hi guys!
>  I want to use the Virtual Hard Disk format, I mean, I want a 40G base image and 10 Windows servers on top of this image,
> using the differential feature for save space on my storage... how to do that?
>
>  What version of open source Xen supports VHD file format?
>
>  Have Citrix XenServer 5.5 (Free) support for it?

Using blktap2 is possible to use vhd files, you just need to use the
tap:aio:vhd prefix in the config file, for example:

disk = [ 'tap:aio:vhd:/root/images/winxp.vhd,hda,w' ]

* Re: HOWTO use Virtual Hard Disk - VHD with Xen domUs?
@ 2009-08-07  3:56   ` Thiago Camargo Martins Cordeiro
From: Thiago Camargo Martins Cordeiro @ 2009-08-07  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. Roeleveld; +Cc: xen-devel

Hi!

 You believe that I'm already using it without seeing it was what I'm
looking for!? That is funny!

 I have a domU with a Logical Volume for its root partition and sometime
ago, I need to boot a "clone" of the domU, so I just made a LVM Snapshot,
configure another VM (with another MAC Addres, etc) using the snapshot as
read-write root partition...

 I didn't realise what I have in my hands!

Thanks!

-
Thiago

2009/8/6 J. Roeleveld <joost@antarean.org>

> On Thursday 06 August 2009 02:28:24 Thiago Camargo Martins Cordeiro wrote:
> > Hi guys!
> >  I want to use the Virtual Hard Disk format, I mean, I want a 40G base
> > image and 10 Windows servers on top of this image, using the differential
> > feature for save space on my storage... how to do that?
> >
> >  What version of open source Xen supports VHD file format?
> >
> >  Have Citrix XenServer 5.5 (Free) support for it?
> >
> > Cheers!
> > Thiago
>
> Hi Thiago,
>
> I'm not sure if VHD is (or will be) supported with Xen. Someone else might
> be
> able to answer that question.
>
> But why not look into using LVM and COW (Copy-On-Write) volumes?
> This would allow you to create a base image and link the Guests to
> COW-volumes
> based on this image.
>
> The end result would be the same and LVM is a proven technology.
>
> --
> Joost Roeleveld

* Re: [Xen-devel] HOWTO use Virtual Hard Disk - VHD with Xen domUs?
@ 2009-08-07  3:59   ` Thiago Camargo Martins Cordeiro
From: Thiago Camargo Martins Cordeiro @ 2009-08-07  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Stabellini; +Cc: xen-devel, Xen List