* permanently supercede kernel config with one of my own creation
@ 2020-01-29  3:15 Kent Dorfman
From: Kent Dorfman @ 2020-01-29  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I have a yocto generated sdk that includes a customized kernel.  I do
NOT want to play with incremental config files.  What I want is to
insert a .config file of my own choosing (generated outside of yocto)
into the kernel build, have it use only my .config, and then have that
.config remain as the persistent authoritative config as part of the
yocto layer.

I have tried a variety of different approaches:
* using devtool, then loading my .config into the expanded source, but
"devtool finish" throws out my changes!

* doing "bitbake menuconfig", can build a kernel using my config, but
it doesn't stay persistent in yocto

* doing elaborate sort/merges on the yocto .config and my prefered
one...undefined behaviour

and the build always seems to revert to either the original yocto
config, or a kludge of my options with a bunch of defaults I did not
specify.

How can I take my existing .config and force yocto to use it, and it
only, forevermore?

* Re: [yocto] permanently supercede kernel config with one of my own creation
@ 2020-01-29  4:24 ` Rudolf J Streif
From: Rudolf J Streif @ 2020-01-29  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kent Dorfman, yocto

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1916 bytes --]

Hi Kent,

Create your own kernel recipe and provide a defconfig for it:

SRC_URI += "file://defconfig"

For example to build a bleeding kernel directly from Linus' repo:

DESCRIPTION = "Linux Kernel from kernel.org Git Repository"
SECTION = "kernel"

LICENSE = "GPLv2"

require recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto.inc

LIC_FILES_CHKSUM = "file://COPYING;md5=d7810fab7487fb0aad327b76f1be7cd7"

LINUX_VERSION ?= "5.5"

LINUX_VERSION_EXTENSION ?= "-mykernel"

PV = "${LINUX_VERSION}+git${SRCPV}"

SRC_URI =
“git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git;protocol=git;nocheckout=1"

SRC_URI += "file://defconfig"

SRCREV = "d5226fa6dbae0569ee43ecfc08bdcd6770fc4755"

COMPATIBLE_MACHINE = "qemux86|qemux86-64"
<<<<<

:rjs

--
-----
Rudolf J Streif

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 3658 bytes --]

* Re: [yocto] permanently supercede kernel config with one of my own creation
@ 2020-01-29 12:53   ` Kent Dorfman
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Kent Dorfman @ 2020-01-29 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rudolf J Streif; +Cc: yocto

I'd prefer to not go that route.    It's a modified "vendor supplied"
kernel from an internal tarball source, and for IA/QA reasons we're
NOT going to refer to any external GIT repos.

Can someone tell me how to just replace the config in an existing
recipe and make it permanent without creating/replacing the whole
package?

I'ts a single file that has to be inserted/used at the correct point
in the build.  I'd say it's not rocket science but that's exactly what
it is for. LOL

@ 2020-01-29 13:07     ` Quentin Schulz
From: Quentin Schulz @ 2020-01-29 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kent Dorfman; +Cc: Rudolf J Streif, yocto

Hi Kent,

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 07:53:38AM -0500, Kent Dorfman wrote:
> I'd prefer to not go that route.    It's a modified "vendor supplied"
> kernel from an internal tarball source, and for IA/QA reasons we're
> NOT going to refer to any external GIT repos.
>
> Can someone tell me how to just replace the config in an existing
> recipe and make it permanent without creating/replacing the whole
> package?

Find the task which is doing some logic with the config fragments and
disable it. Replace it by or add a new task which is taking your .config
and putting it in ${S}.

> I'ts a single file that has to be inserted/used at the correct point
> in the build.  I'd say it's not rocket science but that's exactly what
> it is for. LOL

Kernel recipes are always custom. We won't be able to help you much more
than that without the actual recipes, its inherited classes and included
.inc files.

Quentin

* Re: [yocto] permanently supercede kernel config with one of my own creation
@ 2020-01-29 13:18     ` Gabriele
From: Gabriele @ 2020-01-29 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kent Dorfman; +Cc: Rudolf J Streif, yocto

Hi Kent,

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 1:53 PM Kent Dorfman <kent.dorfman766@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'd prefer to not go that route.    It's a modified "vendor supplied"
> kernel from an internal tarball source, and for IA/QA reasons we're
> NOT going to refer to any external GIT repos.
>
> There must be a recipe for your "vendor supplied" kernel, why not
extending it with an append,
so you will be able to ship your own defconfig?
Assuming your vendor kernel recipe is called linux-ti-staging_4.19.bb, in
your layer add the file
recipes-kernel/linux/linux-ti-staging_4.19.bbappend and then

FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/files"
SRC_URI += " file://defconfig"
<<<<<<<

and put your defconfig in recipes-kernel/linux/files

Can someone tell me how to just replace the config in an existing
> recipe and make it permanent without creating/replacing the whole
> package?
>
> I'ts a single file that has to be inserted/used at the correct point
> in the build.  I'd say it's not rocket science but that's exactly what
> it is for. LOL
>
> On 1/28/20, Rudolf J Streif <rudolf.streif@ibeeto.com> wrote:
> > Hi Kent,
> >
> > Create your own kernel recipe and provide a defconfig for it:
> >
> > SRC_URI += "file://defconfig"
> >
> > For example to build a bleeding kernel directly from Linus' repo:
> >

> > DESCRIPTION = "Linux Kernel from kernel.org Git Repository"
> > SECTION = "kernel"
> >
> > LICENSE = "GPLv2"
> >
> > require recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto.inc
> >
> > LIC_FILES_CHKSUM = "file://COPYING;md5=d7810fab7487fb0aad327b76f1be7cd7"
> >
> > LINUX_VERSION ?= "5.5"
> >
> > LINUX_VERSION_EXTENSION ?= "-mykernel"
> >
> > PV = "${LINUX_VERSION}+git${SRCPV}"
> >
> > SRC_URI =
> > “git://
> git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git;protocol=git;nocheckout=1
> "
> >
> > SRC_URI += "file://defconfig"
> >
> > SRCREV = "d5226fa6dbae0569ee43ecfc08bdcd6770fc4755"
> >
> > COMPATIBLE_MACHINE = "qemux86|qemux86-64"
> > <<<<<
> >
> > :rjs
> >
> > On 1/28/20 7:15 PM, Kent Dorfman wrote:
> >> I have a yocto generated sdk that includes a customized kernel.  I do
> >> NOT want to play with incremental config files.  What I want is to
> >> insert a .config file of my own choosing (generated outside of yocto)
> >> into the kernel build, have it use only my .config, and then have that
> >> .config remain as the persistent authoritative config as part of the
> >> yocto layer.
> >>
> >> I have tried a variety of different approaches:
> >> * using devtool, then loading my .config into the expanded source, but
> >> "devtool finish" throws out my changes!
> >>
> >> * doing "bitbake menuconfig", can build a kernel using my config, but
> >> it doesn't stay persistent in yocto
> >>
> >> * doing elaborate sort/merges on the yocto .config and my prefered
> >> one...undefined behaviour
> >>
> >> and the build always seems to revert to either the original yocto
> >> config, or a kludge of my options with a bunch of defaults I did not
> >> specify.
> >>
> >> How can I take my existing .config and force yocto to use it, and it
> >> only, forevermore?
> >>

> > --
> > -----
> > Rudolf J Streif
> > CEO/CTO ibeeto
> > +1.855.442.3386 x700

BR,
Gabriele

* Re: [yocto] permanently supercede kernel config with one of my own creation
@ 2020-01-29 16:28     ` Rudolf J Streif
From: Rudolf J Streif @ 2020-01-29 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kent Dorfman; +Cc: yocto

Kent,

On 1/29/20 4:53 AM, Kent Dorfman wrote:
> I'd prefer to not go that route.    It's a modified "vendor supplied"
> kernel from an internal tarball source, and for IA/QA reasons we're
> NOT going to refer to any external GIT repos.

Well that could be an internal git repository too. You weren't specific
about that. SRC_URI can point anywhere you like which could also be
tarball file:

DESCRIPTION = "Linux Kernel from Tarball"
SECTION = "kernel"
LICENSE = "GPLv2"

inherit kernel

LIC_FILES_CHKSUM = "file://COPYING;md5=d7810fab7487fb0aad327b76f1be7cd7"

LINUX_VERSION ?= "${PV}"
LINUX_RC = "rc1"

SRC_URI = "file://mykernel.tar.gz"
SRC_URI += "file://defconfig"

SRC_URI[md5sum] = "3e8331759af56ddd621528b2c7015ae1"
SRC_URI[sha256sum] =
"3c524ee0446b4ea8288708fa30acd28647317b9724f2d336052130e164c83f29"

S = "${WORKDIR}/linux-${LINUX_VERSION}-${PR}"

COMPATIBLE_MACHINE = "qemux86|qemux86-64"

<<<<<

Put this recipe in you own layer into meta-mylayer/recipes-kernel/linux.
It assumes that your tarball extracts into a directory
linux-<version>-<release> which is reflected by setting S. Typically,
upstream tarballs extract as such.

You have to write your own recipe since you are using your vendor
tarball. Which means you have to define SRC_URI as well as the checksum(s).

But maybe you have most of it already as you are apparently building the
kernel. If that is the case and it was provided then you can use a
bbappend to your kernel recipe which provides defconfig:

FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/files"
SRC_URI += " file://defconfig"
<<<<<<<

You do this in your own layer and put the recipe in
meta-mylayer/recipes-kernel/linux and the defconfig in
meta-mylayer/recipes-kernel/linux/files
> Can someone tell me how to just replace the config in an existing
> recipe and make it permanent without creating/replacing the whole
> package?

Trying. :)

> I'ts a single file that has to be inserted/used at the correct point
> in the build.  I'd say it's not rocket science but that's exactly what
> it is for. LOL

Many ways lead to Rome, as the saying goes. But it looks like the
bbappend might be the best solution for you.

:rjs

--
-----
Rudolf J Streif

* Re: [yocto] permanently supercede kernel config with one of my own creation
@ 2020-01-29 16:52       ` Kent Dorfman
From: Kent Dorfman @ 2020-01-29 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriele Zampieri; +Cc: Rudolf J Streif, yocto

OK guys.  I was able to make it work with a higher priority layer and
a bbappend file.

The difference with my config file is that mine actually defines all
the CONFIG_ options but many of them are =n to override selections
made elsewhere.  I just hope that the kernel config is smart enough in
all cases to recognise that
CONFIG_OPTION=n
is the same thins as
# CONFIG_OPTION is not set

I reran the build and verified that only the options I want are in my
staged kernel

Next, I need to figure out how to make sure the built modules end up
in the rootfs, which is currently an fnsroot filesystem.

@ 2020-01-30  7:25         ` Gabriele
From: Gabriele @ 2020-01-30  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kent Dorfman; +Cc: Rudolf J Streif, yocto