* Meeting about the UFS driver
@ 2021-10-12 17:29 Bart Van Assche
From: Bart Van Assche @ 2021-10-12 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-scsi; +Cc: Jaegeuk Kim

Hi,

A meeting will be held later this month to talk about the technical
aspects of the UFS driver and also about how to evolve the UFS driver
further. Since using email to coordinate a date, time and agenda is
inconvenient, please use the following document to reach agreement about
the time of the meeting and also about the agenda:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pYONI__pbNcVVQqPA7iSbeQRyf0IQOuZlYR7Gnrikco/

We will try to take notes and share these notes.

Thanks,

Bart.

* Re: Meeting about the UFS driver
@ 2021-10-12 17:42 ` James Bottomley
From: James Bottomley @ 2021-10-12 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Van Assche, linux-scsi; +Cc: Jaegeuk Kim

On Tue, 2021-10-12 at 10:29 -0700, Bart Van Assche wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A meeting will be held later this month to talk about the technical
> aspects of the UFS driver and also about how to evolve the UFS
> driver further. Since using email to coordinate a date, time and
> agenda is inconvenient, please use the following document to reach
> agreement about the time of the meeting and also about the agenda:
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pYONI__pbNcVVQqPA7iSbeQRyf0IQOuZlYR7Gnrikco/

That link is giving permission denied.  You need to update the sharing
settings to give you an access link for anyone to view.

James

* Re: Meeting about the UFS driver
@ 2021-10-12 18:05   ` Bart Van Assche
From: Bart Van Assche @ 2021-10-12 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Bottomley, linux-scsi; +Cc: Jaegeuk Kim

On 10/12/21 10:42 AM, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Tue, 2021-10-12 at 10:29 -0700, Bart Van Assche wrote:
>> A meeting will be held later this month to talk about the technical
>> aspects of the UFS driver and also about how to evolve the UFS
>> driver further. Since using email to coordinate a date, time and
>> agenda is inconvenient, please use the following document to reach
>> agreement about the time of the meeting and also about the agenda:
>>
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pYONI__pbNcVVQqPA7iSbeQRyf0IQOuZlYR7Gnrikco/
>
> That link is giving permission denied.  You need to update the sharing
> settings to give you an access link for anyone to view.

Hi James,

That document has been created using my work account. Recently my
employer changed the settings for work documents such that even
read-only access has to be granted explicitly. Making a document
viewable without authentication is no longer supported. I am considering
next time I use Google Docs to prepare a meeting to use my personal
gmail account since making documents public from a personal account is
still supported.

The procedure to get access to this document is as follows:
* Log in to an account with which a Google password has been associated.
* Open the above link. The following text will appear: "You need access.
Ask for access, or switch to an account with access. Learn more.
[Request access]".
* Select the [Request access] button.

The contents of that document so far is as follows:
* Proposed date and time of the meeting.
* Draft agenda. So far there is one item on the agenda, namely how to
implement multiqueue support in the UFS driver without triggering lock
contention between submitters.

PS: meeting about the UFS driver was suggested by another UFS driver
contributor. I try to minimize the number of meetings on my calendar.

@ 2021-10-12 18:16     ` James Bottomley
From: James Bottomley @ 2021-10-12 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Van Assche, linux-scsi; +Cc: Jaegeuk Kim

On Tue, 2021-10-12 at 11:05 -0700, Bart Van Assche wrote:
> On 10/12/21 10:42 AM, James Bottomley wrote:
> > On Tue, 2021-10-12 at 10:29 -0700, Bart Van Assche wrote:
> > > A meeting will be held later this month to talk about the
> > > technical aspects of the UFS driver and also about how to evolve
> > > the UFS driver further. Since using email to coordinate a date,
> > > time and agenda is inconvenient, please use the following
> > > document to reach agreement about the time of the meeting and
> > > also about the agenda:
> > >
> > > https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pYONI__pbNcVVQqPA7iSbeQRyf0IQOuZlYR7Gnrikco/
> >
> > That link is giving permission denied.  You need to update the
> > sharing settings to give you an access link for anyone to view.
>
> Hi James,
>
> That document has been created using my work account. Recently my
> employer changed the settings for work documents such that even
> read-only access has to be granted explicitly. Making a document
> viewable without authentication is no longer supported. I am
> considering next time I use Google Docs to prepare a meeting to use
> my personal gmail account since making documents public from a
> personal account is still supported.
>
> The procedure to get access to this document is as follows:
> * Log in to an account with which a Google password has been
> associated.
> * Open the above link. The following text will appear: "You need
> access.  Ask for access, or switch to an account with access. Learn
> more. [Request access]".
> * Select the [Request access] button.

It's a bit proprietary for an open collaboration.  If it's just you and
a few UFS developers using it to co-ordinate, that's perfectly fine:
you can post a summary when it's decided.  If you really want random
community people to contribute, then it should probably be an etherpad
or wiki.  Etherpads are easier because lots of people publicly host
them:

https://github.com/ether/etherpad-lite/wiki/Sites-that-run-Etherpad-Lite

Wikimedia looks to be the one least likely to vanish after use.

> The contents of that document so far is as follows:
> * Proposed date and time of the meeting.
> * Draft agenda. So far there is one item on the agenda, namely how
> to implement multiqueue support in the UFS driver without triggering
> lock contention between submitters.
>
> PS: meeting about the UFS driver was suggested by another UFS driver
> contributor. I try to minimize the number of meetings on my calendar.

Heh, don't we all ...

James

* Re: Meeting about the UFS driver
@ 2021-10-12 22:59     ` Theodore Ts'o
From: Theodore Ts'o @ 2021-10-12 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Van Assche; +Cc: James Bottomley, linux-scsi, Jaegeuk Kim

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 11:05:55AM -0700, Bart Van Assche wrote:
> That document has been created using my work account. Recently my employer
> changed the settings for work documents such that even read-only access has
> to be granted explicitly. Making a document viewable without authentication
> is no longer supported. I am considering next time I use Google Docs to
> prepare a meeting to use my personal gmail account since making documents
> public from a personal account is still supported.

Yeah, that would be my strong recommendation.  My employer has the
same restriction and I similarly will make sure that I create such
documents using my personal gmail account and then share Editor status
with my work account so I can more easily edit it from my work account
if necessary.

If you have a document that was created with your work account, the
procedure to "transfer" it over to your personal account is:

* If necessary, remove any work-proprietary information from the
  document; you can revert that change at the end of this procedure
  if you want the work version of the document to have internal
  information in it
* share the document with your personal account
* open the document with your personal account
* select File->Make a copy to make a copy of that document
  which is owned by your personal account
* Rename the copy so that it has something thing like (PUBLIC)
  in the the name so you can easily disambiguate the public
  version from the work version.
  OR, delete the work version of the document so you don't end
  up confusing yourself.
* Enable link sharing on the public version of the document

If you've ever wondered why the document which you can reach via the
URL https://thunk.org/gce-xfstests has "(public)" in the title, that's
why....

It's a bit more work for you, but it makes much life much easier for
everyone else trying to access the document.

Cheers,

					- Ted

* Re: Meeting about the UFS driver
@ 2021-10-12 23:17       ` Bart Van Assche
From: Bart Van Assche @ 2021-10-12 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodore Ts'o; +Cc: James Bottomley, linux-scsi, Jaegeuk Kim

On 10/12/21 3:59 PM, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 11:05:55AM -0700, Bart Van Assche wrote:
>> That document has been created using my work account. Recently my employer
>> changed the settings for work documents such that even read-only access has
>> to be granted explicitly. Making a document viewable without authentication
>> is no longer supported. I am considering next time I use Google Docs to
>> prepare a meeting to use my personal gmail account since making documents
>> public from a personal account is still supported.
>
> Yeah, that would be my strong recommendation.  My employer has the
> same restriction and I similarly will make sure that I create such
> documents using my personal gmail account and then share Editor status
> with my work account so I can more easily edit it from my work account
> if necessary.
>
> If you have a document that was created with your work account, the
> procedure to "transfer" it over to your personal account is:
>
> * If necessary, remove any work-proprietary information from the
>    document; you can revert that change at the end of this procedure
>    if you want the work version of the document to have internal
>    information in it
> * share the document with your personal account
> * open the document with your personal account
> * select File->Make a copy to make a copy of that document
>    which is owned by your personal account
> * Rename the copy so that it has something thing like (PUBLIC)
>    in the the name so you can easily disambiguate the public
>    version from the work version.
>    OR, delete the work version of the document so you don't end
>    up confusing yourself.
> * Enable link sharing on the public version of the document
>
> If you've ever wondered why the document which you can reach via the
> URL https://thunk.org/gce-xfstests has "(public)" in the title, that's
> why....
>
> It's a bit more work for you, but it makes much life much easier for
> everyone else trying to access the document.

Thanks Ted, that's very helpful! I have followed the above procedure. A version
that can be viewed without Google account is available here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WqxN5fK3NfKtmtvUv8jlCteJqZ5rlNq5tz_Q9tzPozY/

Bart.