* [ALSA - driver 0001211]: type dmix produces noise, type plug slave.pcm "dmix" does not on SB EXtigy
@ 2005-06-24 12:55 bugtrack
From: bugtrack @ 2005-06-24 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

A NOTE has been added to this issue.
<https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1211>
Reported By:                andersin
Assigned To:                Clemens Ladisch
Project:                    ALSA - driver
Issue ID:                   1211
Category:                   USB - usb-audio
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             06-24-2005 00:02 CEST
Last Modified:              06-24-2005 14:55 CEST
I recently noticed crackling sound when using the dmix plugin. While the
simple case { type plug; slave.pcm "dmix" } works, { type dmix; slave.pcm
"extigy" } (where extigy is the pcm for the card) produces a crackling
sound. (I observe the same problem with my build in ICH4 card, but AFAIR
this has been reported already).

I have tried a variety of buffering and period settings that I found in
various documentations on the web, but all attempts were unsuccessful.

 andersin - 06-24-05 13:40
Even if I do not specify any parameters in my asound.conf, I can observer
the effect. I might be wrong, but I assume, that the default settings of
plug dmix and type dmix match.

Where can I find out, which parameters the default dmix uses so that I can
test it with that setup?

 tiwai - 06-24-05 14:55
In the case of aplay, you can see the plug configuration via -v option.

Issue History
Date Modified  Username       Field                    Change
06-24-05 00:02 andersin       New Issue
06-24-05 00:02 andersin       Kernel Version            => 2.6.11
06-24-05 11:11 tiwai          Note Added: 0005210
06-24-05 13:40 andersin       Note Added: 0005219
06-24-05 14:55 tiwai          Note Added: 0005222

* [ALSA - driver 0001211]: type dmix produces noise, type plug slave.pcm "dmix" does not on SB EXtigy
@ 2005-06-27 14:20 bugtrack
From: bugtrack @ 2005-06-27 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

The following issue has been RESOLVED.
<https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1211>
Reported By:                andersin
Assigned To:                Clemens Ladisch
Project:                    ALSA - driver
Issue ID:                   1211
Category:                   USB - usb-audio
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             06-24-2005 00:02 CEST
Last Modified:              06-27-2005 16:20 CEST

 andersin - 06-24-05 16:56
At the moment, when the extigy is not connected, I am not able to reproduce
any of the distortion on the INTEL chip I was talking about. Strange
indeed. Once I get back to the extigy, I will report back, if the error
surfaces again.

 andersin - 06-25-05 13:20
Now that I tested the setup again, I am unable to reproduce this issue. I
am not sure what caused it and will try my best to reproduce it and give a
more detailed explanation on what caused it. Unitl then, I think the issue
can be closed.

Issue History
Date Modified  Username       Field                    Change
06-24-05 00:02 andersin       New Issue
06-24-05 00:02 andersin       Kernel Version            => 2.6.11
06-24-05 11:11 tiwai          Note Added: 0005210
06-24-05 13:40 andersin       Note Added: 0005219
06-24-05 14:55 tiwai          Note Added: 0005222
06-24-05 16:56 andersin       Note Added: 0005237
06-25-05 13:20 andersin       Note Added: 0005257
06-27-05 16:20 Clemens LadischStatus                   assigned => resolved
06-27-05 16:20 Clemens LadischResolution               open => unable to
duplicate

* [ALSA - driver 0001211]: type dmix produces noise, type plug slave.pcm "dmix" does not on SB EXtigy
@ 2005-06-25 11:20 bugtrack
From: bugtrack @ 2005-06-25 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

A NOTE has been added to this issue.
<https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1211>
Reported By:                andersin
Assigned To:                Clemens Ladisch
Project:                    ALSA - driver
Issue ID:                   1211
Category:                   USB - usb-audio
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             06-24-2005 00:02 CEST
Last Modified:              06-25-2005 13:20 CEST

 andersin - 06-25-05 13:20
Now that I tested the setup again, I am unable to reproduce this issue. I
am not sure what caused it and will try my best to reproduce it and give a
more detailed explanation on what caused it. Unitl then, I think the issue
can be closed.

Issue History
Date Modified  Username       Field                    Change

@ 2005-06-24 14:56 bugtrack
From: bugtrack @ 2005-06-24 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

A NOTE has been added to this issue.
<https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1211>
Reported By:                andersin
Assigned To:                Clemens Ladisch
Project:                    ALSA - driver
Issue ID:                   1211
Category:                   USB - usb-audio
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             06-24-2005 00:02 CEST
Last Modified:              06-24-2005 16:56 CEST

 tiwai - 06-24-05 14:55
In the case of aplay, you can see the plug configuration via -v option.

 andersin - 06-24-05 16:56
At the moment, when the extigy is not connected, I am not able to reproduce
any of the distortion on the INTEL chip I was talking about. Strange
indeed. Once I get back to the extigy, I will report back, if the error
surfaces again.

Issue History
Date Modified  Username       Field                    Change

@ 2005-06-24 11:40 bugtrack
From: bugtrack @ 2005-06-24 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

A NOTE has been added to this issue.
<https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1211>
Reported By:                andersin
Assigned To:                Clemens Ladisch
Project:                    ALSA - driver
Issue ID:                   1211
Category:                   USB - usb-audio
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             06-24-2005 00:02 CEST
Last Modified:              06-24-2005 13:40 CEST

 tiwai - 06-24-05 11:11
This might depend on what dmix parameters you use.  The parametes used in
slave.pcm "dmix" is different from the default ones of dmix.

 andersin - 06-24-05 13:40
Even if I do not specify any parameters in my asound.conf, I can observer
the effect. I might be wrong, but I assume, that the default settings of
plug dmix and type dmix match.

Where can I find out, which parameters the default dmix uses so that I can
test it with that setup?

Issue History
Date Modified  Username       Field                    Change

@ 2005-06-24  9:11 bugtrack
From: bugtrack @ 2005-06-24  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

A NOTE has been added to this issue.
<https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1211>
Reported By:                andersin
Assigned To:                Clemens Ladisch
Project:                    ALSA - driver
Issue ID:                   1211
Category:                   USB - usb-audio
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             06-24-2005 00:02 CEST
Last Modified:              06-24-2005 11:11 CEST

 tiwai - 06-24-05 11:11
This might depend on what dmix parameters you use.  The parametes used in
slave.pcm "dmix" is different from the default ones of dmix.

Issue History
Date Modified  Username       Field                    Change

@ 2005-06-23 22:02 bugtrack
From: bugtrack @ 2005-06-23 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
<https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1211>
Reported By:                andersin
Assigned To:                Clemens Ladisch
Project:                    ALSA - driver
Issue ID:                   1211
Category:                   USB - usb-audio
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             06-24-2005 00:02 CEST
Last Modified:              06-24-2005 00:02 CEST
I recently noticed crackling sound when using the dmix plugin. While the
simple case { type plug; slave.pcm "dmix" } works, { type dmix; slave.pcm
"extigy" } (where extigy is the pcm for the card) produces a crackling
sound. (I observe the same problem with my build in ICH4 card, but AFAIR
this has been reported already).

I have tried a variety of buffering and period settings that I found in
various documentations on the web, but all attempts were unsuccessful.

Issue History
Date Modified  Username       Field                    Change