* [Buildroot] Problem with device tree
       [not found] <e2634bc6-2e68-4331-8354-49407b40f191.ref@yahoo.com>
@ 2024-04-09 21:23 ` Don via buildroot
From: Don via buildroot @ 2024-04-09 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

This is my first time using buildroot. Following the instructions of
bootlin.com/doc/training/buildroot/buildroot-labs.pdf, building for
Beaglebone Black though not the wireless of the training pdf. Under
Kernel - selected device tree blob and in-tree device tree name I put
am335x-boneblack. However I get

Device Tree Source (arch/arm/dts/am335x-.dtb) is not correctly specified.
Please define 'CONFIG_DEFAULT_DEVICE_TREE'
or build with 'DEVICE_TREE=<device_tree>' argument

What does it want? Something is missing but I don't know what.

Thanks.

Have a Blessed day!

Don

* Re: [Buildroot] Problem with device tree
@ 2024-04-09 21:59   ` Giulio Benetti
       [not found]     ` <cf44979d-3e49-4c55-80cb-8e776d570a23@yahoo.com>
From: Giulio Benetti @ 2024-04-09 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Don, buildroot

Hi Don,

On 09/04/24 23:23, Don via buildroot wrote:
> This is my first time using buildroot. Following the instructions of
> bootlin.com/doc/training/buildroot/buildroot-labs.pdf, building for
> Beaglebone Black though not the wireless of the training pdf. Under
> Kernel - selected device tree blob and in-tree device tree name I put
> am335x-boneblack. However I get
>
> Device Tree Source (arch/arm/dts/am335x-.dtb) is not correctly specified.
> Please define 'CONFIG_DEFAULT_DEVICE_TREE'
> or build with 'DEVICE_TREE=<device_tree>' argument
>
> What does it want? Something is missing but I don't know what.

Starting from  Linux version 6.5[0] you have to specify the manufacturer
folder too compared to previous versions(i.e. 6.4[1]). So if you're
using a kernel newer than 6.5 you have to specify something like:
arch/arm/dts/ti/omap/am335x-.dtb

Hope this helps.

[0]: https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v6.5-rc1/source/arch/arm/boot/dts
[1]: https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v6.4.16/source/arch/arm/boot/dts

Best regards
--
Giulio Benetti
CEO&CTO@Benetti Engineering

@ 2024-04-09 23:54       ` Giulio Benetti
From: Giulio Benetti @ 2024-04-09 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Don; +Cc: Buildroot

Hi Don,

I re-add Buildroot Mailing List in Cc,

please don't top-post, answer in-line and use plain-text and not HTML,

On 10/04/24 00:24, Don wrote:
> Thank you, it does help, that is surly the problem but I have not found
> the correct path yet. According to the tutorial I am using
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/
> which shows root/arch/arm/boot/dts  at the top of the page, so I have been using it without 'root'.

It's not clear to me where you've found root/, but yes, it's not part of
the path. The path to am335x-boneblack.dts is:
arch/arm/boot/dts/ti/omap/am335x-boneblack.dts
and that must be passed to:
BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_INTREE_DTS_NAME
after enabling:
BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_DTS_SUPPORT

I see that HTML link points to Linux v5.15. So it's not clear to me
which Linux version you're using.

> You specified another path, is the path different for Linux versions above 6.5?

Yes, starting from Linux 6.5 all dts file moved under silicon vendor names.

Do you mind to pastebin your defconfig?
To do so don't pastebin your entire .config but issue:
$ make savedefconfig
that produce file:
defconfig or save that file back to the one you've used during the first
setup by issuing:
$ make blahblah_defconfig

Also please point which Buildroot version you're using so I can
reproduce the problem.

Best regards
--
Giulio Benetti
CEO&CTO@Benetti Engineering sas

@ 2024-04-10 18:11   ` Arnout Vandecappelle via buildroot
From: Arnout Vandecappelle via buildroot @ 2024-04-10 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Don, buildroot

On 09/04/2024 23:23, Don via buildroot wrote:
> This is my first time using buildroot. Following the instructions of
> bootlin.com/doc/training/buildroot/buildroot-labs.pdf, building for Beaglebone
> Black though not the wireless of the training pdf. Under Kernel - selected
> device tree blob and in-tree device tree name I put am335x-boneblack. However I get
>
> Device Tree Source (arch/arm/dts/am335x-.dtb) is not correctly specified.
> Please define 'CONFIG_DEFAULT_DEVICE_TREE'
> or build with 'DEVICE_TREE=<device_tree>' argument

  This output comes from U-Boot, not from Linux. The file name am335x-.dtb seems
wrong as well, so you must have set something wrong in Buildroot's config of U-Boot.

  Regards,
  Arnout

@ 2024-04-17 16:25     ` DTrustee via buildroot
From: DTrustee via buildroot @ 2024-04-17 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giulio Benetti, buildroot

I know you are all busy, don't mean to bug anyone but I cannot get
buildroot to make without errors. I have no idea why "operator '<' has
no left operand" is generated or which include file is the cause. I
truly appreciate your help. Is there documentation that walks through
the build process? I have looked at the Bootlin training but it is
several years old now and out of date.

Buildlog is

https://pastebin.com/Eqt6zi9a

config is

https://pastebin.com/8P2hB9uY

buildroot 2024.02.1

@ 2024-04-17 16:29       ` Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
From: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi @ 2024-04-17 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DTrustee, Andrea Calabrese; +Cc: Giulio Benetti, buildroot

Hi

On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 6:25 PM DTrustee via buildroot
<buildroot@buildroot.org> wrote:

> I know you are all busy, don't mean to bug anyone but I cannot get
> buildroot to make without errors. I have no idea why "operator '<' has
> no left operand" is generated or which include file is the cause. I
> truly appreciate your help. Is there documentation that walks through
> the build process? I have looked at the Bootlin training but it is
> several years old now and out of date.

You are trying to build a uboot board that has not include of the
Kconfig of it.  I think that you
have just a broken uboot. What configuration or board are you building?

Michael

> Buildlog is
>
> https://pastebin.com/Eqt6zi9a
>
> config is
>
> https://pastebin.com/8P2hB9uY
>
> buildroot 2024.02.1
>
> Have a Blessed day!
>
> Don
>

> On 4/9/24 4:59 PM, Giulio Benetti wrote:
> > Hi Don,
> >
> > On 09/04/24 23:23, Don via buildroot wrote:
> >> This is my first time using buildroot. Following the instructions of
> >> bootlin.com/doc/training/buildroot/buildroot-labs.pdf, building for
> >> Beaglebone Black though not the wireless of the training pdf. Under
> >> Kernel - selected device tree blob and in-tree device tree name I put
> >> am335x-boneblack. However I get
> >>
> >> Device Tree Source (arch/arm/dts/am335x-.dtb) is not correctly
> >> specified.
> >> Please define 'CONFIG_DEFAULT_DEVICE_TREE'
> >> or build with 'DEVICE_TREE=<device_tree>' argument
> >>
> >> What does it want? Something is missing but I don't know what.
> >
> > Starting from  Linux version 6.5[0] you have to specify the
> > manufacturer folder too compared to previous versions(i.e. 6.4[1]). So
> > if you're using a kernel newer than 6.5 you have to specify something
> > like:
> > arch/arm/dts/ti/omap/am335x-.dtb
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > [0]: https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v6.5-rc1/source/arch/arm/boot/dts
> > [1]: https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v6.4.16/source/arch/arm/boot/dts
> >
> > Best regards

Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
Co-Founder & Chief Executive Officer
M. +39 347 913 2170
michael@amarulasolutions.com

* Re: [Buildroot] Problem with device tree
@ 2024-04-17 18:26         ` DTrustee via buildroot
From: DTrustee via buildroot @ 2024-04-17 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi, Andrea Calabrese; +Cc: Giulio Benetti, buildroot

I am building for the Beaglebone Black which is convenient as the
Bootlin training uses the wireless version of that board. I hope I am
doing the right thing by including everyone on the address list of this
thread, don't want to fill up people's inbox needlessly.

Have a Blessed day!

Don

@ 2024-04-17 18:39           ` Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
From: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi @ 2024-04-17 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DTrustee; +Cc: Andrea Calabrese, Giulio Benetti, buildroot

Hi

On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 8:26 PM DTrustee <dterry_engineer@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am building for the Beaglebone Black which is convenient as the
> Bootlin training uses the wireless version of that board. I hope I am
> doing the right thing by including everyone on the address list of this
> thread, don't want to fill up people's inbox needlessly.

Please provide the steps here

Michael

@ 2024-04-17 18:40             ` Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
From: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi @ 2024-04-17 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DTrustee; +Cc: Andrea Calabrese, Giulio Benetti, buildroot

Hi

On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 8:39 PM Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
<michael@amarulasolutions.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 8:26 PM DTrustee <dterry_engineer@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > I am building for the Beaglebone Black which is convenient as the
> > Bootlin training uses the wireless version of that board. I hope I am
> > doing the right thing by including everyone on the address list of this
> > thread, don't want to fill up people's inbox needlessly.
> >

> Please provide the steps here

make beaglebone_defconfig

make

Right?

--

@ 2024-04-17 18:41               ` Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
From: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi @ 2024-04-17 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DTrustee; +Cc: Andrea Calabrese, Giulio Benetti, buildroot

Hi

On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 8:40 PM Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
<michael@amarulasolutions.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 8:39 PM Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
> <michael@amarulasolutions.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 8:26 PM DTrustee <dterry_engineer@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I am building for the Beaglebone Black which is convenient as the
> > > Bootlin training uses the wireless version of that board. I hope I am
> > > doing the right thing by including everyone on the address list of this
> > > thread, don't want to fill up people's inbox needlessly.
> > >

> > Please provide the steps here
>
> make beaglebone_defconfig

Did you add any local.mk to override anything?
Michael

--

@ 2024-04-17 18:59               ` DTrustee via buildroot
From: DTrustee via buildroot @ 2024-04-17 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi; +Cc: Andrea Calabrese, Giulio Benetti, buildroot

I was following the steps in
https://bootlin.com/doc/training/buildroot/buildroot-labs.pdf , they
changed the default config to show how it is done rather than using
beaglebone_defconfig. So I changed Target Options, Toolchain, Kernel and
Bootloader menus as the tutorial suggested in section Configuring
Buildroot. Did not add any local .mk - do not know what that is, this is
my first build with buildroot. Nor did I override anything.

Have a Blessed day!

Don

@ 2024-04-17 19:06                 ` Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
From: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi @ 2024-04-17 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DTrustee; +Cc: Andrea Calabrese, Giulio Benetti, Thomas Petazzoni, buildroot

Hi

On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 8:59 PM DTrustee <dterry_engineer@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I was following the steps in
> https://bootlin.com/doc/training/buildroot/buildroot-labs.pdf , they
> changed the default config to show how it is done rather than using
> beaglebone_defconfig. So I changed Target Options, Toolchain, Kernel and
> Bootloader menus as the tutorial suggested in section Configuring
> Buildroot. Did not add any local .mk - do not know what that is, this is
> my first build with buildroot. Nor did I override anything.

So I think that first of all you should start to build as it is. Then
you have definitely a problem
on your configuration and it breaks uboot probably. I think that the
documentation is well done but
maybe you get a wrong step on this. Thomas is very busy for the
conference, I have added him in CC
but I think that this is not the right mailing list for discuss about
the training. Anyway I'm willing to help you
so try to build the defconfig of buildroot and try to apply the steps
in the training as they are well described

Michael

--

@ 2024-04-17 19:28                   ` DTrustee via buildroot
From: DTrustee via buildroot @ 2024-04-17 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
  Cc: Andrea Calabrese, Giulio Benetti, Thomas Petazzoni, buildroot

My apologies, I tried using omap2plus_defconfig as the tutorial
suggested but got errors so I changed and the output I put in pastebin
is using beagleboard_defconfig. I still get errors though.

Have a Blessed day!

Don

@ 2024-04-17 19:40       ` Giulio Benetti
From: Giulio Benetti @ 2024-04-17 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DTrustee, buildroot

Hi Don,

On 17/04/24 18:25, DTrustee via buildroot wrote:
> I know you are all busy, don't mean to bug anyone but I cannot get
> buildroot to make without errors. I have no idea why "operator '<' has
> no left operand" is generated or which include file is the cause. I
> truly appreciate your help. Is there documentation that walks through
> the build process? I have looked at the Bootlin training but it is
> several years old now and out of date.
>
> Buildlog is
>
> https://pastebin.com/Eqt6zi9a
>
> config is
>
> https://pastebin.com/8P2hB9uY
>
> buildroot 2024.02.1

since you're following Bootlin course I suggest you as a first step to
use Buildroot version pointed in the course(unless you're already doing
it of course).

Then later, once you master things more, you can move to use latest
Buildroot version.

Kind regards
--

@ 2024-04-17 23:16         ` DTrustee via buildroot
From: DTrustee via buildroot @ 2024-04-17 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giulio Benetti, buildroot

The exact instructions to download buildroot gets the most recent
version which is how I started. Next step was to git checkout -b bootlin
2022.02 but that does not work as I get:

fatal: '2022.02' is not a commit and a branch 'bootlin' cannot be
created from it

So I cloned: git clone https://github.com/bootlin/buildroot which I
think is the repository for the training. However that is lacking the
output directory so make menuconfig fails. When I go to
https://github.com/bootlin/buildroot sure enough there is no output
directory.

How does one go about learning buildroot, the latest version, for the
Beaglebone Black (or any other board for that matter)? I am reading the
buildroot manual but it is not exactly a tutorial. Is it mostly trial
and error until you figure it out?

Have a Blessed day!

Don

@ 2024-04-18  6:40           ` Edgar Bonet
From: Edgar Bonet @ 2024-04-18  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi!

Don wrote:
> I cloned: git clone https://github.com/bootlin/buildroot which I think
> is the repository for the training.

Note that the official Buildroot git repository[1] is:

    https://gitlab.com/buildroot.org/buildroot.git

> How does one go about learning buildroot, the latest version, for the
> Beaglebone Black (or any other board for that matter)?

The latest stable version is 2024.02.1. Thus I would start by making
sure I have all the system requirements,[2] then:

    git clone https://gitlab.com/buildroot.org/buildroot.git
    cd buildroot
    git checkout 2024.02.1
    make beaglebone_defconfig
    make

This would be a sanity check. If that works, then you can start
customizing the configuration, doing out of tree builds, etc.

> that is lacking the output directory

The output directory will be created as part of the build process.

Regards,

Edgar.

[1] https://buildroot.org/download.html
[2] https://buildroot.org/downloads/manual/manual.html#requirement

* Re: [Buildroot] Problem with device tree
@ 2024-04-21 21:45             ` DTrustee via buildroot
From: DTrustee via buildroot @ 2024-04-21 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edgar Bonet, buildroot

Thank you for your reply. I used that git site as it was the one for the
training material and not the official site, at least that is what I
think it is. As for the output directory I should have read the error
message more closely as it was saying it could not make the output
directory and that is because of permissions I had. Ran sudo mae
menuconfig and it ran. Hopefully it will make without errors.

Again thank you for your help, everyone who answered.

Have a Blessed day!

Don

       [not found] <mailman.11662.1713460186.13795.buildroot@buildroot.org>
@ 2024-04-19  7:19 ` Andreas Ziegler
From: Andreas Ziegler @ 2024-04-19  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DTrustee
  Cc: Edgar Bonet, Andrea Calabrese, Thomas Petazzoni, buildroot,
	Giulio Benetti, Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi

Hi Don,

You use a (recent) mainline kernel with configurations that seem to be
vendor specific; your U-Boot is not configured correctly; see comments
below.

I found a more detailed training document, it uses 6.1.y kernel:
https://bootlin.com/doc/training/embedded-linux-bbb/embedded-linux-bbb-labs.pdf

On 2024-04-17 14:28, DTrustee wrote:

> Message: 16
> Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 14:28:51 -0500
> From: DTrustee <dterry_engineer@yahoo.com>
> To: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi <michael@amarulasolutions.com>
> Cc: Andrea Calabrese <andrea.calabrese@amarulasolutions.com>, Giulio
> 	Benetti <giulio.benetti@benettiengineering.com>,
> 	buildroot@buildroot.org, Thomas Petazzoni
> 	<thomas.petazzoni@bootlin.com>
> Subject: Re: [Buildroot] Problem with device tree
>
> My apologies, I tried using omap2plus_defconfig as the tutorial
> suggested but got errors so I changed and the output I put in pastebin
> is using beagleboard_defconfig. I still get errors though.

This is an excerpt from your (buildroot) defconfig:

> BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_DEFCONFIG="beaglebone_defconfig"
                               ^^^
This defconfig does not exist in the mainline kernel. Either supply the
missing file, or use the architecture default.

> BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_DTS_SUPPORT=y
> BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_INTREE_DTS_NAME="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v6.6/source/arch/arm/boot/dts/ti/omap/am335x-boneblack.dts"

This must be an in-tree name, not a download from the internet.
'ti/omap/am335x-boneblack.dts' should goe here.

> BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_CUSTOM_DTS_PATH="arch/arm/boot/dts/ti/omap/am335x-boneblack.dts"

Not needed, delete this

> BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_NEEDS_HOST_OPENSSL=y
> BR2_TARGET_UBOOT=y
> BR2_TARGET_UBOOT_USE_CUSTOM_CONFIG=y
> BR2_TARGET_UBOOT_CUSTOM_CONFIG_FILE="/home/don/buildroot/buildroot-2024.02.1/configs/beaglebone_defconfig"

This is a buildroot defconfig, U-Boot cannot use it. Buildroot uses
(in-tree) TARGET_UBOOT_BOARD_DEFCONFIG="am335x_evm" for the Beaglebone.

> Have a Blessed day!
>
> Don

Kind regards,
Andreas