* RFC: Implementation of QMP documentation retrieval command
@ 2021-06-16 15:48 Niteesh G. S.
From: Niteesh G. S. @ 2021-06-16 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Snow, armbru, Stefan Hajnoczi, kwolf, ehabkost, wainersm,
	qemu-devel, vsementsov

Hello,

We now have a reasonably working prototype that is capable of
sending/receiving
commands/responses, syntax highlighting, and a simple notification system.
The
prototype can be found here
https://gitlab.com/niteesh.gs/qemu/-/tree/aqmp-tui-prototype
Working on this prototype gives us a lot of hints on things to worry about
and other
ideas that were worth implementing. Our next goal is to start working on
the real TUI
based on this prototype.

One requested feature of the TUI was to show documentation for the commands
typed.
To achieve this, a QMP command that lets us query the documentation from
QEMU has
to be implemented and some discussion has already been done on it in a
I request all continue that discussion here and suggest ideas regarding
implementation.
The goal is to come up with something small and simple which can also be
improved upon
after the summer.

I have a simple implementation of the command that returns dummy
documentation here
https://gitlab.com/niteesh.gs/qemu/-/commit/796a41fb2840b9f3484c6fd5672e6fceb73acaef

Thanks,
Niteesh.

* Re: RFC: Implementation of QMP documentation retrieval command
@ 2021-06-21 14:58 ` Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé @ 2021-06-21 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niteesh G. S., John Snow
  Cc: kwolf, vsementsov, ehabkost, qemu-devel, wainersm, armbru,
	Stefan Hajnoczi

Hi Niteesh,

On 6/16/21 5:48 PM, Niteesh G. S. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We now have a reasonably working prototype that is capable of
> sending/receiving
> commands/responses, syntax highlighting, and a simple notification
> system. The
> prototype can be found here
> https://gitlab.com/niteesh.gs/qemu/-/tree/aqmp-tui-prototype
> <https://gitlab.com/niteesh.gs/qemu/-/tree/aqmp-tui-prototype>
> Working on this prototype gives us a lot of hints on things to worry
> about and other
> ideas that were worth implementing. Our next goal is to start working on
> the real TUI
> based on this prototype.
>
> One requested feature of the TUI was to show documentation for the
> commands typed.
> To achieve this, a QMP command that lets us query the documentation from
> QEMU has
> to be implemented and some discussion has already been done on it in a
> I request all continue that discussion here and suggest ideas regarding
> implementation.
> The goal is to come up with something small and simple which can also be
> improved upon
> after the summer.
>
> I have a simple implementation of the command that returns dummy
> documentation here
> https://gitlab.com/niteesh.gs/qemu/-/commit/796a41fb2840b9f3484c6fd5672e6fceb73acaef
> <https://gitlab.com/niteesh.gs/qemu/-/commit/796a41fb2840b9f3484c6fd5672e6fceb73acaef>

I noticed your mail got no comment, and realized you asked us to
review your patches apart from the mailing list. I am not sure
if this is an experiment or a misunderstanding, but so far it is
unlikely you get review external to the mailing list, because it
is not very practical to reviewers.

Maybe some reviewers are willing to look at your tree, but if you
are looking for a wider audience, I recommend you to follow this
process (which you already used!):
https://wiki.qemu.org/Contribute/SubmitAPatch#Submitting_your_Patches

Regards,

Phil.

* Re: RFC: Implementation of QMP documentation retrieval command
@ 2021-06-21 18:26   ` Niteesh G. S.
From: Niteesh G. S. @ 2021-06-21 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
  Cc: kwolf, vsementsov, ehabkost, armbru, wainersm, qemu-devel,
	Stefan Hajnoczi, John Snow

Hello Philippe,

On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 8:28 PM Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <philmd@redhat.com>
wrote:

> Hi Niteesh,
>
> On 6/16/21 5:48 PM, Niteesh G. S. wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > We now have a reasonably working prototype that is capable of
> > sending/receiving
> > commands/responses, syntax highlighting, and a simple notification
> > system. The
> > prototype can be found here
> > https://gitlab.com/niteesh.gs/qemu/-/tree/aqmp-tui-prototype
> > <https://gitlab.com/niteesh.gs/qemu/-/tree/aqmp-tui-prototype>
> > Working on this prototype gives us a lot of hints on things to worry
> > about and other
> > ideas that were worth implementing. Our next goal is to start working on
> > the real TUI
> > based on this prototype.
> >
> > One requested feature of the TUI was to show documentation for the
> > commands typed.
> > To achieve this, a QMP command that lets us query the documentation from
> > QEMU has
> > to be implemented and some discussion has already been done on it in a
> > I request all continue that discussion here and suggest ideas regarding
> > implementation.
> > The goal is to come up with something small and simple which can also be
> > improved upon
> > after the summer.
> >
> > I have a simple implementation of the command that returns dummy
> > documentation here
> >
> https://gitlab.com/niteesh.gs/qemu/-/commit/796a41fb2840b9f3484c6fd5672e6fceb73acaef
> > <
> https://gitlab.com/niteesh.gs/qemu/-/commit/796a41fb2840b9f3484c6fd5672e6fceb73acaef
> >

> I noticed your mail got no comment, and realized you asked us to
> review your patches apart from the mailing list. I am not sure
> if this is an experiment or a misunderstanding, but so far it is
> unlikely you get review external to the mailing list, because it
> is not very practical to reviewers.

Sorry for not conveying the main intent of this mail properly.
The main goal of this mail was to start a discussion regarding the
implementation
of the QMP documentation retrieval command for AQMP TUI. There has already
been a small discussion regarding it in my introduction mail but it wasn't
anything
in detail and it stagnated. So I created this mail to have a separate
thread to collect
all points regarding implementation and again start the discussion.
We now have a prototype with the most basic features implemented and
working.
But there is a lot of clean-up that has to be done before I can send the
prototype to the
mailing list for review. And since the prototype is almost done John asked
me to start
a discussion regarding the QMP command so that I can work on it as a side
project
along side the TUI.

TLDR: The goal of this mail wasn't to review the dummy command I had posted
but
rather start a discussion regarding the implementation of the QMP
documentation
retrieval command for the TUI.

Thanks,
Niteesh.

@ 2021-06-22  9:35     ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2021-06-22  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niteesh G. S.
  Cc: kwolf, vsementsov, ehabkost, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé,
	armbru, wainersm, qemu-devel, John Snow

On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 11:56:30PM +0530, Niteesh G. S. wrote:
> TLDR: The goal of this mail wasn't to review the dummy command I had posted
> but
> rather start a discussion regarding the implementation of the QMP
> documentation
> retrieval command for the TUI.

It's not clear to me what exactly you wanted to discuss. Here is the QMP
schema from the commit you linked. It's something concrete that we can
discuss:

  ##
  # @CommandDocumentation:
  #
  # A object representing documentation for a command.
  #
  # @name: Command name
  #
  # @doc: A string containing the documentation.

Is @doc in some kind of markup or plain text?

  #
  ##
  { 'struct': 'CommandDocumentation',
    'data': {'name': 'str', 'doc': 'str'} }

  ##
  # @query-cmd-doc:
  #
  # (A simple *prototype* implementation)
  # Command query-cmd-doc will return the documentation for the command
  # specified. This will help QMP clients currently the AQMP TUI to show
  # documentation related to a specific command.
  #
  # @command-name: The command name to query documentation for
  #
  # Returns: A @CommandDocumentation object containing the documentation.
  #
  # Since: TODO: Add a number
  ##
  { 'command': 'query-cmd-doc',
    'data': { 'command-name': 'str' },
    'returns': 'CommandDocumentation' }

Is there a way to retrieve struct/enum/etc documentation?

Do you see a need to query multiple items of documentation in a single
command? A single item query command can become a performance bottleneck
if the clients wants to query the documentation for all commands, for
example. This can be solved by making the the return value an array and
allowing multiple commands to be queried at once.

Do you see a need for wildcard queries where the client does not have
the full command name? I guess the client has enough auto-completion
information to search all commands on the client side, so maybe this
functionality isn't necessary here?

Stefan

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: RFC: Implementation of QMP documentation retrieval command
@ 2021-06-22 10:26       ` Daniel P. Berrangé
From: Daniel P. Berrangé @ 2021-06-22 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi
  Cc: kwolf, vsementsov, ehabkost, John Snow, armbru, wainersm,
	qemu-devel, Niteesh G. S., Philippe Mathieu-Daudé

On Tue, Jun 22, 2021 at 10:35:47AM +0100, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 11:56:30PM +0530, Niteesh G. S. wrote:
> > TLDR: The goal of this mail wasn't to review the dummy command I had posted
> > but
> > rather start a discussion regarding the implementation of the QMP
> > documentation
> > retrieval command for the TUI.
>
> It's not clear to me what exactly you wanted to discuss. Here is the QMP
> schema from the commit you linked. It's something concrete that we can
> discuss:
>
>   ##
>   # @CommandDocumentation:
>   #
>   # A object representing documentation for a command.
>   #
>   # @name: Command name
>   #
>   # @doc: A string containing the documentation.
>
> Is @doc in some kind of markup or plain text?

There's a more fundamental question about structure here too.
The documentation is not a arbitrary block of text. It contains
specific data items for individual parameters, and return
type, along with version number annotation too.

If we're returning a single string, then the caller needs to
know how to parser the current docs structure we're using
for commands. Right now that's an internal only format, and
I'm not sure we want to expose that as an ABI to consumers
of QEMU. So quite possibly we need to return structured
data instead

eg potentially we need

   { 'struct': 'CommandDocumentation',
     'data': {'name': 'str',
              'summary': 'str'
	      'parameters': ['str'],
	      'return': str,
	      'since': str,
	      'notes': str,
	      'example':str,
	     } }

>   #
>   ##
>   { 'struct': 'CommandDocumentation',
>     'data': {'name': 'str', 'doc': 'str'} }
>
>   ##
>   # @query-cmd-doc:
>   #
>   # (A simple *prototype* implementation)
>   # Command query-cmd-doc will return the documentation for the command
>   # specified. This will help QMP clients currently the AQMP TUI to show
>   # documentation related to a specific command.
>   #
>   # @command-name: The command name to query documentation for
>   #
>   # Returns: A @CommandDocumentation object containing the documentation.
>   #
>   # Since: TODO: Add a number
>   ##
>   { 'command': 'query-cmd-doc',
>     'data': { 'command-name': 'str' },
>     'returns': 'CommandDocumentation' }
>
> Is there a way to retrieve struct/enum/etc documentation?
>
> Do you see a need to query multiple items of documentation in a single
> command? A single item query command can become a performance bottleneck
> if the clients wants to query the documentation for all commands, for
> example. This can be solved by making the the return value an array and
> allowing multiple commands to be queried at once.

If you want batch querying, then it needs to recursively return all
the struct/enum docs related to the commands parameters/return values
too.

Regards,
Daniel

* Re: RFC: Implementation of QMP documentation retrieval command
@ 2021-06-22 11:04         ` Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy
From: Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy @ 2021-06-22 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel P. Berrangé, Stefan Hajnoczi
  Cc: Niteesh G. S., kwolf, ehabkost, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé,

22.06.2021 13:26, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> There's a more fundamental question about structure here too.
> The documentation is not a arbitrary block of text. It contains
> specific data items for individual parameters, and return
> type, along with version number annotation too.
>
> If we're returning a single string, then the caller needs to
> know how to parser the current docs structure we're using
> for commands. Right now that's an internal only format, and
> I'm not sure we want to expose that as an ABI to consumers
> of QEMU. So quite possibly we need to return structured
> data instead
>
> eg potentially we need
>
>     { 'struct': 'CommandDocumentation',
>       'data': {'name': 'str',
>                'summary': 'str'
> 	      'parameters': ['str'],
> 	      'return': str,
> 	      'since': str,
> 	      'notes': str,
> 	      'example':str,
> 	     } }

If make 'since' a separate field, it make sense to report appropriate 'since' for each parameter, so parameters would not be a simple list of strings.. Not saying of types of parameters.

--
Best regards,
Vladimir

* Re: RFC: Implementation of QMP documentation retrieval command
@ 2021-06-22 18:57       ` Niteesh G. S.
From: Niteesh G. S. @ 2021-06-22 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi
  Cc: kwolf, vsementsov, ehabkost, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé,
	armbru, wainersm, qemu-devel, John Snow

Hi Stefan,
On Tue, Jun 22, 2021 at 3:05 PM Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 11:56:30PM +0530, Niteesh G. S. wrote:
> > TLDR: The goal of this mail wasn't to review the dummy command I had
> posted
> > but
> > rather start a discussion regarding the implementation of the QMP
> > documentation
> > retrieval command for the TUI.
>
> It's not clear to me what exactly you wanted to discuss. Here is the QMP
> schema from the commit you linked. It's something concrete that we can
> discuss:

I wanted to discuss the implementation of the documentation retrieval
command. Things like
1) The JSON schema we will be using to represent the documentation.
2) How will we be parsing documentation from the JSON files under qemu/qapi?
3) How will/where we'll be storing this parsed information?
And other questions which will have to be answered before proceeding to
implement this command.
4) Where to get data for autocomplete for the TUI?

- One easy way is to hardcode all available commands in the TUI
   autocomplete. But then we have to make sure to update the autocomplete
   list for TUI every time one new command gets added to QMP.

  ##
>   # @CommandDocumentation:
>   #
>   # A object representing documentation for a command.
>   #
>   # @name: Command name
>   #
>   # @doc: A string containing the documentation.
>
> Is @doc in some kind of markup or plain text?

Since this is just a prototype I have used plain text. But for the real
command
I expect something more structured since the comments I have seen in the
QAPI schema has some structure associated with them.
eg:
##
# @query-status:
#
# Query the run status of all VCPUs
#
# Returns: @StatusInfo reflecting all VCPUs
#
# Since:  0.14
#
# Example:
#
# -> { "execute": "query-status" }
# <- { "return": { "running": true,
#                  "singlestep": false,
#                  "status": "running" } }
#
##
We have the following structure
1) Command name
2) Documentation
3) Arguments (if any)
4) Return type with reference to non-primitive data types like
structs/enums etc
5) Since
6) Example

In the case of commands referring structures/enums and other non-primitive
data types
if possible we should also add their documentation along with the
documentation
for the command.
Yes, we could find out all the data types referenced by the current command
and
add them to the documentation if possible. This will make it easy for the
user.
If it isn't possible then we must allow to also query documentation related
to struct/enums etc.

  #
>   ##
>   { 'struct': 'CommandDocumentation',
>     'data': {'name': 'str', 'doc': 'str'} }
>
>   ##
>   # @query-cmd-doc:
>   #
>   # (A simple *prototype* implementation)
>   # Command query-cmd-doc will return the documentation for the command
>   # specified. This will help QMP clients currently the AQMP TUI to show
>   # documentation related to a specific command.
>   #
>   # @command-name: The command name to query documentation for
>   #
>   # Returns: A @CommandDocumentation object containing the documentation.
>   #
>   # Since: TODO: Add a number
>   ##
>   { 'command': 'query-cmd-doc',
>     'data': { 'command-name': 'str' },
>     'returns': 'CommandDocumentation' }
>
> Is there a way to retrieve struct/enum/etc documentation?

Not sure. I have gone through the parser code in qemu/scripts/qapi and also
have
seen the parser being used for documentation generation but I still don't
understand
the capabilities of the parser.

> Do you see a need to query multiple items of documentation in a single
> command? A single item query command can become a performance bottleneck
> if the clients wants to query the documentation for all commands, for
> example. This can be solved by making the the return value an array and
> allowing multiple commands to be queried at once.

Why will clients want to query the documentation for all commands? Even if
they do
won't that be an infrequent operation?
From the TUI perspective, I think it will be enough if we just have the
capability to
service one command at a time. We can also have the TUI cache the results
and
validate the cache during the greeting process by sending some kind of hash
notify if any documentation has changed or not.

> Do you see a need for wildcard queries where the client does not have
> the full command name? I guess the client has enough auto-completion
> information to search all commands on the client side, so maybe this
> functionality isn't necessary here?

One of my major questions(also mentioned above) is how will the client-side
get information regarding all the commands available in QMP? If we implement
a proper autocomplete feature then I don't think we will have to worry about
wildcard queries.

@ 2021-06-23  8:44         ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2021-06-23  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niteesh G. S.