* question about m8260_cpm_hostalloc
@ 2007-02-09  9:58 stefania magistrali
From: stefania magistrali @ 2007-02-09  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-embedded

Hi!
I am using the m8260_cpm_hostalloc function. My question is: does this
function return cached or uncached memory?  Instead I think that the
m8xx_cpm_hostalloc function gives back uncached memory.  If so, why this
difference?
I need to have uncached memory, so I would like to be sure about using
m8260_cpm_hostalloc function.
Thanks very much!
Stefania

* Re: question about m8260_cpm_hostalloc
@ 2007-02-10 18:11 ` Dan Malek
From: Dan Malek @ 2007-02-10 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stefania magistrali; +Cc: ppc embedded list

On Feb 9, 2007, at 4:58 AM, stefania magistrali wrote:

> Hi!
> I am using the m8260_cpm_hostalloc function. My question is: does this
> function return cached or uncached memory?

It returns a cache coherent address space.
Whether it's cached or uncached is determined
by the capabilities of the processor.

> I need to have uncached memory,

Why?  The CPM on the 82xx performs
cache coherent data transfers with the
G2 core.

Make sure you are using the proper memory
allocation functions.  The XXX_cpm_hostalloc()
function is intended to provide an efficient
allocator for the small memory resident FIFOs
or control structures needed by the CPM.
It's not a data transfer buffer allocator.

Thanks.

	-- Dan