* Why do we need these mount options?
@ 2021-01-14  2:12 waxhead
From: waxhead @ 2021-01-14  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Howdy,

I was looking through the mount options and being a madman with strong
opinions I can't help thinking that a lot of them does not really belong
as mount options at all, but should rather be properties set on the
subvolume - for example the toplevel subvolume.

And any options set on a child subvolume should override the parrent
subvolume the way I see it.

By having a quick look - I don't see why these should be mount options
at all.

autodefrag / noautodefrag
commit
compress / compress-force
datacow / nodatacow
datasum / nodatasum
discard / nodiscard
inode_cache / noinode_cache
space_cache / nospace_cache
sdd / ssd_spread / nossd / no_ssdspread
user_subvol_rm_allowed

Stuff like compress and nodatacow can be set with chattr so there is as
far as I am aware three methods of setting compression for example.

Either by mount options in fstab, by chattr or by btrfs property set

I think it would be more consistent to have one interface for adjusting
behavior.

As I asked before, the future plan to have different storage profiles on
subvolumes seem to have been sneakily(?) removed from the wiki - if that
is indeed a dropped goal I can see why it makes sense to keep the mount
options, if not I think the mount options should go in favor of btrfs
property set.