* ib-iser - 4k IO req size only
@ 2017-04-08  9:59 Heiner Lesaar
       [not found] ` <704B9754-E679-41F3-80D7-0D783B53ADC8-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Heiner Lesaar @ 2017-04-08  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Dear all,

I use SCST 3.3.0  and ISCSI-SCST on CentOS7.3 (stock kernel) w. in-tree RDMA  and Mellanox ConnectX-4 cards (no OFED packages) on the target.

Same hardware / software on the initiator (w. open-iscsi and ib-iser, no OFED as well).

When using iSer as the transport layer, all read and write requests from the connected initiator to the target devices are always exactly 4kb (checked w. e.g. "iostat -xm 2"), which harms the performance of large IO a lot obviously.

Changing to TCP as the transport layer shows expected behaviour of larger IO requests (up to max_sector_size) and expected performance.

Tested w. common everyday operations like "cp" or "dd", but also benchmark tools like "filebench".
I guess its something related to ib_iser, so I hope someone on the list has a good hint for me how to solve this.

Thank you very much for any kind help or response!

Heiner

* Re: ib-iser - 4k IO req size only
       [not found] ` <704B9754-E679-41F3-80D7-0D783B53ADC8-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-04-08 14:44   ` Max Gurtovoy
From: Max Gurtovoy @ 2017-04-08 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heiner Lesaar, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

hi Heiner,

On 4/8/2017 12:59 PM, Heiner Lesaar wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I use SCST 3.3.0  and ISCSI-SCST on CentOS7.3 (stock kernel) w. in-tree RDMA  and Mellanox ConnectX-4 cards (no OFED packages) on the target.
>
> Same hardware / software on the initiator (w. open-iscsi and ib-iser, no OFED as well).
>
> When using iSer as the transport layer, all read and write requests from the connected initiator to the target devices are always exactly 4kb (checked w. e.g. "iostat -xm 2"), which harms the performance of large IO a lot obviously.
>
> Changing to TCP as the transport layer shows expected behaviour of larger IO requests (up to max_sector_size) and expected performance.
>
> Tested w. common everyday operations like "cp" or "dd", but also benchmark tools like "filebench".
> I guess its something related to ib_iser, so I hope someone on the list has a good hint for me how to solve this.

I sent a fix in 1e5db6c31ade41 commit.
please apply it.

Max.