* FPGA Manager - Partial Reconfiguration support for Xilinx Zynq-7000
@ 2019-03-03 11:32 Alper Yazar
From: Alper Yazar @ 2019-03-03 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-fpga

Hi,

I asked the question on Xilinx forums about 1 months ago but didn't get any response [1]. I hope that someone on this list may guide me.

I am creating Linux based images for Zynq-7000 devices by using Petalinux 2018.3 which is a set of build tools provided by Xilinx. For FPGA management, FPGA Manager is included by default. However it doesn't support partial reconfiguration for Zynq-7000 devices as stated [2]. I tested and verified that it doesn't work. I assumed that /drivers/fpga/zynq-fpga.c is the source code, checked it and noticed some comments about partial reconfig. AFAIK previous driver used by Xilinx before FPGA Manager whose source code file is xilinx_devcfg.c supported partial reconfig. So I don't think that there is a hardware limitation since the previous solution was working on the same device. So I wonder why the newest method is less capable than the older one. I need partial reconfig support for the newest petalinux version. What should I do?

a) Compile old xilinx_devcfg.c driver for Petalinux 2018.3 and disable FPGA Manager.

b) Somehow patch FPGA Manager

c) Wait (how long?) Xilinx to solve this issue

Two names are listed as MODULE_AUTHOR of zynq-fpga.c: Moritz Fischer and Michal Simek. I don't know whether they are subscribed to this list or not.

[1]: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Linux/Partial-Reconfiguration-support-in-Petalinux-2018-3-for-Zynq/td-p/934057
[2]: https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18841645/Solution+Zynq+PL+Programming+With+FPGA+Manager

Best,
Alper

* Re: FPGA Manager - Partial Reconfiguration support for Xilinx Zynq-7000
@ 2019-03-07 11:06 ` Michal Simek
From: Michal Simek @ 2019-03-07 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alper Yazar, linux-fpga, Nava kishore Manne; +Cc: Ronan Keryell

Hi,

On 03. 03. 19 12:32, Alper Yazar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I asked the question on Xilinx forums about 1 months ago but didn't get any response [1]. I hope that someone on this list may guide me.
>
> I am creating Linux based images for Zynq-7000 devices by using Petalinux 2018.3 which is a set of build tools provided by Xilinx. For FPGA management, FPGA Manager is included by default. However it doesn't support partial reconfiguration for Zynq-7000 devices as stated [2]. I tested and verified that it doesn't work. I assumed that /drivers/fpga/zynq-fpga.c is the source code, checked it and noticed some comments about partial reconfig. AFAIK previous driver used by Xilinx before FPGA Manager whose source code file is xilinx_devcfg.c supported partial reconfig. So I don't think that there is a hardware limitation since the previous solution was working on the same device. So I wonder why the newest method is less capable than the older one. I need partial reconfig support for the newest petalinux version. What should I do?
>
> a) Compile old xilinx_devcfg.c driver for Petalinux 2018.3 and disable FPGA Manager.
>
> b) Somehow patch FPGA Manager
>
> c) Wait (how long?) Xilinx to solve this issue
>
> Two names are listed as MODULE_AUTHOR of zynq-fpga.c: Moritz Fischer and Michal Simek. I don't know whether they are subscribed to this list or not.
>

> [1]: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Linux/Partial-Reconfiguration-support-in-Petalinux-2018-3-for-Zynq/td-p/934057
> [2]: https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18841645/Solution+Zynq+PL+Programming+With+FPGA+Manager

Nava: Can you please check if partial reconfiguration is still working?
I see code in the driver.

Alper: Can you please use u-boot and check that your bitstreams are
correct?
Also will be good to have some logs to see what it is happening.

Thanks,
Michal

* Re: FPGA Manager - Partial Reconfiguration support for Xilinx Zynq-7000
@ 2019-05-05  8:40   ` Alper Yazar
From: Alper Yazar @ 2019-05-05  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michal Simek, linux-fpga, Nava kishore Manne; +Cc: Ronan Keryell

On 3/7/19 2:06 PM, Michal Simek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 03. 03. 19 12:32, Alper Yazar wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I asked the question on Xilinx forums about 1 months ago but didn't get any response [1]. I hope that someone on this list may guide me.
>>
>> I am creating Linux based images for Zynq-7000 devices by using Petalinux 2018.3 which is a set of build tools provided by Xilinx. For FPGA management, FPGA Manager is included by default. However it doesn't support partial reconfiguration for Zynq-7000 devices as stated [2]. I tested and verified that it doesn't work. I assumed that /drivers/fpga/zynq-fpga.c is the source code, checked it and noticed some comments about partial reconfig. AFAIK previous driver used by Xilinx before FPGA Manager whose source code file is xilinx_devcfg.c supported partial reconfig. So I don't think that there is a hardware limitation since the previous solution was working on the same device. So I wonder why the newest method is less capable than the older one. I need partial reconfig support for the newest petalinux version. What should I do?
>>
>> a) Compile old xilinx_devcfg.c driver for Petalinux 2018.3 and disable FPGA Manager.
>>
>> b) Somehow patch FPGA Manager
>>
>> c) Wait (how long?) Xilinx to solve this issue
>>
>> Two names are listed as MODULE_AUTHOR of zynq-fpga.c: Moritz Fischer and Michal Simek. I don't know whether they are subscribed to this list or not.
>>

>> [1]: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Linux/Partial-Reconfiguration-support-in-Petalinux-2018-3-for-Zynq/td-p/934057
>> [2]: https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18841645/Solution+Zynq+PL+Programming+With+FPGA+Manager
>
> Nava: Can you please check if partial reconfiguration is still working?
> I see code in the driver.
>
> Alper: Can you please use u-boot and check that your bitstreams are
> correct?
> Also will be good to have some logs to see what it is happening.
>
> Thanks,
> Michal

Hi Michal,

Sorry for late response. We checked U-boot and it worked without any problem. Our bitstreams are based on the Xilinx example project on partial reconfiguration.

Zynq> fatload mmc 0 0x4000000 top.bit

reading top.bit

4045663 bytes read in 235 ms (16.4 MiB/s)

Zynq> fpga loadb 0 0x4000000 4045663

  design filename = "top;UserID=0XFFFFFFFF;Version=2018.3"

  part number = "7z020clg484"

  date = "2019/01/30"

  time = "00:54:18"

  bytes in bitstream = 4045564

zynq_align_dma_buffer: Align buffer at 4000063 to 3ffff80(swap 1)

Zynq> fatload mmc 0 0x4000000 S_knight_top_partial.bit

reading S_knight_top_partial.bit

1238420 bytes read in 81 ms (14.6 MiB/s)

Zynq> fpga loadbp 0 0x4000000 1238420

  design filename = "top;UserID=0XFFFFFFFF;PARTIAL=TRUE;Version=2018.3"

  part number = "7z020clg484"

  date = "2019/01/30"

  time = "00:54:40"

  bytes in bitstream = 1238308

zynq_align_dma_buffer: Align buffer at 4000070 to 3ffff80(swap 1)

Both of them worked fine.

root@project4:~# mkdir -p /lib/firmware

root@project4:~# cd /mnt

root@project4:/mnt# cp top.bit.bin /lib/firmware

root@project4:/mnt# echo top.bit.bin >/sys/class/fpga_manager/fpga0/firmware

fpga_manager fpga0: writing top.bit.bin to Xilinx Zynq FPGA Manager

root@project4:/mnt# cp S_knight_top_partial.bit.bin /lib/firmware

root@project4:/mnt# echo S_knight_top_partial.bit.bin >/sys/class/fpga_manager/fpga0/firmware

fpga_manager fpga0: writing S_knight_top_partial.bit.bin to Xilinx Zynq FPGA Manager

--- Wait few seconds ---

fpga_manager fpga0: Error after writing image data to FPGA

-sh: echo: write error: Connection timed out

We also checked fpga-mgr.h and saw the definiton: "#define FPGA_MGR_PARTIAL_RECONFIG	BIT(0)". For partial bitstream trials we also tried setting this bit to 1 by "echo 1 > /sys/class/fpga_manager/fpga0/flags" command but this didn't affect the result.

Since FPGA manager uses BIN file we convert BIT to BIN using SDK. U-boot works with BIT files. Is it possible that this conversion cause the problem? How should we convert BIT to BIN file?

@ 2019-05-06 12:20     ` Nava kishore Manne
From: Nava kishore Manne @ 2019-05-06 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alper Yazar, Michal Simek, linux-fpga; +Cc: Ronan Keryell

Hi Alper Yazar,

Please look at the below wiki link to generate .bin form .bit file.
https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18841645/Solution+Zynq+PL+Programming+With+FPGA+Manager#SolutionZynqPLProgrammingWithFPGAManager-Generating.binfrom.bitfileusingBootgen

Regards,
Navakishore.

@ 2020-02-08 15:58       ` Alper Yazar
From: Alper Yazar @ 2020-02-08 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nava kishore Manne, Michal Simek, linux-fpga; +Cc: Ronan Keryell

Hi again,

It looks like partial reconfiguration for Zynq-7000 working since
Petalinux 2019.1.

Best,

Alper