* Re: [MPTCP] LPC networking CfP: abstract: draft
@ 2019-07-04  6:26 Matthieu Baerts
From: Matthieu Baerts @ 2019-07-04  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mptcp

Hi Mat,

On 03/07/2019 23:55, Mat Martineau wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Jul 2019, Matthieu Baerts wrote:
>
>> Hi Mat,

>>> Ok, thanks!

>>> If people are ok with it, I don't have to change much. My main goal was
>>> to see if others wanted to add any topics or give other suggestions
>>> before sending it in.
>>>
>>> Hopefully I can get some more feedback, but if I don't I will polish it
>>> up one more time and send on Wednesday.
>>
>> Looks good to me! Thank you for looking at that.
>>
>> When submitting the proposal, please add multiple people in the
>> "Authors" section to be sure we can all attend this conference :)
>>

> Ok, I've submitted the proposal with Matthieu and I as authors. It was
> nearly identical to the draft from Friday, I only made a few grammatical
> fixes.

Thank you for having sent that!

Cheers,
Matt
--
Matthieu Baerts | R&D Engineer
matthieu.baerts(a)tessares.net

* Re: [MPTCP] LPC networking CfP: abstract: draft
@ 2019-08-07  7:42 Matthieu Baerts
From: Matthieu Baerts @ 2019-08-07  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mptcp

Hello,

On 04/07/2019 08:26, Matthieu Baerts wrote:
> On 03/07/2019 23:55, Mat Martineau wrote:

(...)

>> Ok, I've submitted the proposal with Matthieu and I as authors. It was
>> nearly identical to the draft from Friday, I only made a few grammatical
>> fixes.
>
> Thank you for having sent that!

Good news! It seems our proposal has been accepted:

> We are pleased to announce that your proposal
> "Mutipath TCP Upstreaming"
> has been accepted as a Linux Plumbers Conference 2019 Networking
> Summit talk.

We can talk about that at our meeting tomorrow!

Cheers,
Matt
--

@ 2019-07-03 21:55 Mat Martineau
From: Mat Martineau @ 2019-07-03 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mptcp

On Tue, 2 Jul 2019, Matthieu Baerts wrote:

> Hi Mat,
>
> On 01/07/2019 22:32, Mat Martineau wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 1 Jul 2019, Matthieu Baerts wrote:

>>> It looks ready to me :-)
>>
>> Ok, thanks!
>>
>>> I don't think we really need to improve it, the main idea is there and
>>> people can easily find more about this project by looking at the ML,
>>> wiki, code, previous presentations at netdev and netconf.
>>>
>>> What do you think? Or what do you want to improve?
>>
>> If people are ok with it, I don't have to change much. My main goal was
>> to see if others wanted to add any topics or give other suggestions
>> before sending it in.
>>
>> Hopefully I can get some more feedback, but if I don't I will polish it
>> up one more time and send on Wednesday.
>
> Looks good to me! Thank you for looking at that.
>
> When submitting the proposal, please add multiple people in the
> "Authors" section to be sure we can all attend this conference :)

Ok, I've submitted the proposal with Matthieu and I as authors. It was
nearly identical to the draft from Friday, I only made a few grammatical
fixes.

--
Mat Martineau
Intel

* Re: [MPTCP] LPC networking CfP: abstract: draft
@ 2019-07-02 10:46 Florian Westphal
From: Florian Westphal @ 2019-07-02 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mptcp

Mat Martineau <mathew.j.martineau(a)linux.intel.com> wrote:
> If people are ok with it, I don't have to change much. My main goal was to
> see if others wanted to add any topics or give other suggestions before
> sending it in.

It looks good to me, thanks for submitting this.

* Re: [MPTCP] LPC networking CfP: abstract: draft
@ 2019-07-02 10:23 Matthieu Baerts
From: Matthieu Baerts @ 2019-07-02 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mptcp

@ 2019-07-01 20:32 Mat Martineau
From: Mat Martineau @ 2019-07-01 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mptcp

@ 2019-07-01 11:31 Matthieu Baerts
From: Matthieu Baerts @ 2019-07-01 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mptcp

@ 2019-06-28 23:36 Mat Martineau
From: Mat Martineau @ 2019-06-28 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mptcp

On Fri, 7 Jun 2019, Matthieu Baerts wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Yesterday, we discussed options for a Linux Plumber's Conference
> networking track talk.
>
> Here is a first draft of an abstract. Feel free to comment and react:
>
> ===
> ===
>
> Do not hesitate to improve it, fix typo or restart from scratch if
> needed, I don't mind!

I edited and rewrote part of the draft to focus on the long-term roadmap
and how we phase in features. The main audiences I'm thinking of are the
maintainers and present users of the multipath-tcp.org kernel.

It's not ready for submission yet, but given our plan to submit
mid-next-week I wanted to share a draft before the weekend:

"""
Multipath TCP (MPTCP) is an increasingly popular protocol that members of
the kernel community are actively working to upstream. A Linux kernel fork
implementing the protocol has been developed and maintained since March
2009. While there are some large MPTCP deployments using this custom
kernel, an upstream implementation will make the protocol available on
Linux devices of all flavors.

MPTCP is closely coupled to TCP, but an implementation does not need to
interfere with operation of normal TCP connections. Our roadmap for MPTCP
in Linux begins with the server use case, where connections and additional
subflows are generally initiated by peer devices. This will start with RFC
6824 compliance, but with a minimal feature set to limit the code
footprint for initial review and testing.

The MPTCP upstreaming community has shared a RFC patch set on the netdev
list that shows our progress and how we plan to build around the TCP
stack. We'll share our roadmap for how this patch set will evolve before
final submission, and discuss how this first step will differ from the
forked implementation.

Once we have merged our baseline code, we have plans to continue
development of more advanced features for managing subflow creation (path
management), scheduling outgoing packets across subflows, and other
capabilities important for client devices that initiate connections. This
includes making use of a userspace path manager, which has an alpha
release available already. In future kernel releases we will make use of
additional TCP features and optimize MPTCP performance as we get more
feedback from kernel users.

Both the communication and the code are public and open. You can find us
at mptcp(a)lists.01.org and https://is.gd/mptcp_upstream
"""

--
Mat Martineau
Intel

* [MPTCP] LPC networking CfP: abstract: draft
@ 2019-06-07 14:53 Matthieu Baerts
From: Matthieu Baerts @ 2019-06-07 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mptcp