* [Xen-devel] clock source in PV Linux
@ 2019-12-11  7:28 Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2019-12-11  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Gross, Boris Ostrovsky; +Cc: xen-devel

Jürgen, Boris,

I've noticed

<6>clocksource: Switched to clocksource tsc

as the final clocksource related boot message in a PV Dom0's
log with 5.4.2. Is it intentional that it's not the "xen" one
that gets used by default?

Thanks, Jan

* Re: [Xen-devel] clock source in PV Linux
@ 2019-12-11  8:16 ` Jürgen Groß
From: Jürgen Groß @ 2019-12-11  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich, Boris Ostrovsky; +Cc: xen-devel

On 11.12.19 08:28, Jan Beulich wrote:
> Jürgen, Boris,
>
> I've noticed
>
> <6>clocksource: Switched to clocksource tsc
>
> as the final clocksource related boot message in a PV Dom0's
> log with 5.4.2. Is it intentional that it's not the "xen" one
> that gets used by default?

I think this is fine. I just tested it and I'm seeing the same in dom0,
while in a PV domU "xen" is used per default.

In dom0 "tsc" should be okay in case it is stable. Or are you expecting
problems with that setting?

Juergen

* Re: [Xen-devel] clock source in PV Linux
@ 2019-12-11  8:41   ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2019-12-11  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jürgen Groß; +Cc: xen-devel, Boris Ostrovsky

On 11.12.2019 09:16, Jürgen Groß wrote:
> On 11.12.19 08:28, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> Jürgen, Boris,
>>
>> I've noticed
>>
>> <6>clocksource: Switched to clocksource tsc
>>
>> as the final clocksource related boot message in a PV Dom0's
>> log with 5.4.2. Is it intentional that it's not the "xen" one
>> that gets used by default?
>
> I think this is fine. I just tested it and I'm seeing the same in dom0,
> while in a PV domU "xen" is used per default.
>
> In dom0 "tsc" should be okay in case it is stable. Or are you expecting
> problems with that setting?

Well, first of all I found this surprising. Whether there are problems to
be expected largely depends on the reliability of the "stable" detection
in PV Dom0.

@ 2019-12-18  5:36     ` Roman Shaposhnik
From: Roman Shaposhnik @ 2019-12-18  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich; +Cc: Jürgen Groß, xen-devel, Boris Ostrovsky

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 12:41 AM Jan Beulich <jbeulich@suse.com> wrote:

> On 11.12.2019 09:16, Jürgen Groß wrote:
> > On 11.12.19 08:28, Jan Beulich wrote:
> >> Jürgen, Boris,
> >>
> >> I've noticed
> >>
> >> <6>clocksource: Switched to clocksource tsc
> >>
> >> as the final clocksource related boot message in a PV Dom0's
> >> log with 5.4.2. Is it intentional that it's not the "xen" one
> >> that gets used by default?
> >
> > I think this is fine. I just tested it and I'm seeing the same in dom0,
> > while in a PV domU "xen" is used per default.
> >
> > In dom0 "tsc" should be okay in case it is stable. Or are you expecting
> > problems with that setting?
>
> Well, first of all I found this surprising. Whether there are problems to
> be expected largely depends on the reliability of the "stable" detection
> in PV Dom0.

Related question: does this mean that tsc is now default for PVH as well?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm still a bit worried about the
clock drift with tsc.

Thanks,
Roman.

* Re: [Xen-devel] clock source in PV Linux
@ 2019-12-18 16:25       ` Boris Ostrovsky
From: Boris Ostrovsky @ 2019-12-18 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roman Shaposhnik, Jan Beulich; +Cc: Jürgen Groß, xen-devel

On 12/18/19 12:36 AM, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 12:41 AM Jan Beulich <jbeulich@suse.com> wrote:

>>> I think this is fine. I just tested it and I'm seeing the same in dom0,
>>> while in a PV domU "xen" is used per default.
>>>
>>> In dom0 "tsc" should be okay in case it is stable. Or are you expecting
>>> problems with that setting?
>> Well, first of all I found this surprising. Whether there are problems to
>> be expected largely depends on the reliability of the "stable" detection
>> in PV Dom0.
> Related question: does this mean that tsc is now default for PVH as well?
>
> The reason I'm asking is because I'm still a bit worried about the
> clock drift with tsc.

dom0 will use TSC for either PV or PVH:

xen_time_init():
        /* As Dom0 is never moved, no penalty on using TSC there */
         if (xen_initial_domain())
                 xen_clocksource.rating = 275;

But as far as TSC stability I'd think it should be sufficiently checked
by generic TSC init code?

-boris