* Kernel config fragments ignored
@ 2017-05-29  7:21 Paul D. DeRocco
From: Paul D. DeRocco @ 2017-05-29  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I ported a working build from Fido to Morty, made a few tweaks in response
to error messages (mostly updating version numbers), but it's not finding
my kernel configuration fragments. This is supposed to be an i386 arch
system, but it insists upon building an x86_64 kernel. The .config file it
generates does not include my configuration fragments, which contain
things like CONFIG_X86_64=n and CONFIG_X86_32=y.

My linux-yocto-rt_4.8.bbappend file lists my .cfg and .scc files in
SRC_URI, and they are indeed being copied into the build directory (at
tmp/work/chroma_bsp-poky-linux/linux-yocto-rt/4.8.12+blahblah). The docs
seem to imply that that's all I have to do: that they will automatically
be found and included, without my having to name them anywhere else. If I
intentionally put a syntax error into any of them, that erroneous file is
indeed copied, but nothing ever complains about the error, so it isn't
being read when I force a kernel_configme. Even cleaning the kernel and
repeating the kernel_configme doesn't change anything.

There is one .scc that includes the others, so that suggests that there
must be some mechanism for specifying that one and relying on the explicit
includes to pull in the rest. Its name is chroma-bsp.scc, which matches my
custom machine name specified in local.conf. It was previously called
chroma-bsp-preempt-rt.scc under Fido, but when that didn't work under
Morty, I tried changing the name, to no avail.

Also, I'm puzzled that the work directory name contains "chroma_bsp"
instead of "chroma-bsp".

What am I missing?

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco

* Re: Kernel config fragments ignored
@ 2017-05-29 14:38 ` Leonardo Sandoval
From: Leonardo Sandoval @ 2017-05-29 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul D. DeRocco; +Cc: yocto

On Mon, 2017-05-29 at 00:21 -0700, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
> I ported a working build from Fido to Morty, made a few tweaks in response
> to error messages (mostly updating version numbers), but it's not finding
> my kernel configuration fragments. This is supposed to be an i386 arch
> system, but it insists upon building an x86_64 kernel. The .config file it
> generates does not include my configuration fragments, which contain
> things like CONFIG_X86_64=n and CONFIG_X86_32=y.

I hit a similar error when using the yocto-bsp script to create a i386
machine then building the kernel. Can you try what is suggested on poky
commit

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky/commit/?id=19e99786beeaf792094a4ed9859de00c064674b2

@ 2017-05-31  1:15 ` Paul D. DeRocco
From: Paul D. DeRocco @ 2017-05-31  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

> From: Paul D. DeRocco
>
> I ported a working build from Fido to Morty, made a few
> tweaks in response
> to error messages (mostly updating version numbers), but it's
> not finding
> my kernel configuration fragments. This is supposed to be an i386 arch
> system, but it insists upon building an x86_64 kernel. The
> .config file it
> generates does not include my configuration fragments, which contain
> things like CONFIG_64BIT=n and CONFIG_X86_32=y.

I'm still stumped by this, but I've debugged it further. My top level
chroma32-bsp-preempt-rt.scc file contains (among other things) the line

    include ktypes/preempt-rt/preempt-rt.scc nopatch

Building the kernel copies the following files into
tmp/work/chroma32_bsp-poky-linux/linux-yocto-rt/4.8.12+blahblah

    chroma32-bsp-user-config.cfg
    chroma32-bsp-user-features.scc (empty)

but it doesn't copy the following files anywhere

    chroma32-bsp-preempt-rt.scc
    chroma32-bsp.scc
    chroma32-bsp.cfg

so none of the values from either .cfg file appear in the resulting
.config file.

If I change the above line to

    include ktypes/standard/standard.scc nopatch

then tmp/work/chroma32_bsp-poky-linux/linux-yocto-rt/4.8.12+blahblah
contains

    chroma32-bsp-preempt-rt.scc
    chroma32-bsp-user-config.cfg
    chroma32-bsp-user-features.scc (empty)

and
tmp/work-shared/chroma32-bsp/kernel-source/.kernel-meta/configs/standard
contains

    chroma32-bsp.cfg
    chroma32-bsp-user-config.cfg

and everything in them is included in the .config file.

Both the preempt-rt.scc and standard.scc files pull in a lot of stuff, and
they are quite different from each other. What difference between the two
could account for my config fragments being ignored when I use the first
one?

--

@ 2017-05-31  1:25   ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2017-05-31  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul D. DeRocco, yocto

On 2017-05-30 9:15 PM, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
>> From: Paul D. DeRocco
>>
>> I ported a working build from Fido to Morty, made a few
>> tweaks in response
>> to error messages (mostly updating version numbers), but it's
>> not finding
>> my kernel configuration fragments. This is supposed to be an i386 arch
>> system, but it insists upon building an x86_64 kernel. The
>> .config file it
>> generates does not include my configuration fragments, which contain
>> things like CONFIG_64BIT=n and CONFIG_X86_32=y.
>
> I'm still stumped by this, but I've debugged it further. My top level
> chroma32-bsp-preempt-rt.scc file contains (among other things) the line
>
>      include ktypes/preempt-rt/preempt-rt.scc nopatch
>
> Building the kernel copies the following files into
> tmp/work/chroma32_bsp-poky-linux/linux-yocto-rt/4.8.12+blahblah
>
>      chroma32-bsp-user-config.cfg
>      chroma32-bsp-user-features.scc (empty)
>
> but it doesn't copy the following files anywhere
>
>      chroma32-bsp-preempt-rt.scc
>      chroma32-bsp.scc
>      chroma32-bsp.cfg
>
> so none of the values from either .cfg file appear in the resulting
> .config file.
>
> If I change the above line to
>
>      include ktypes/standard/standard.scc nopatch
>
> then tmp/work/chroma32_bsp-poky-linux/linux-yocto-rt/4.8.12+blahblah
> contains
>
>      chroma32-bsp-preempt-rt.scc
>      chroma32-bsp-user-config.cfg
>      chroma32-bsp-user-features.scc (empty)
>
> and
> tmp/work-shared/chroma32-bsp/kernel-source/.kernel-meta/configs/standard
> contains
>
>      chroma32-bsp.cfg
>      chroma32-bsp-user-config.cfg
>
> and everything in them is included in the .config file.
>
> Both the preempt-rt.scc and standard.scc files pull in a lot of stuff, and
> they are quite different from each other. What difference between the two
> could account for my config fragments being ignored when I use the first
> one?

It wouldn't be the difference.

Is this something that I can configure and build myself ? I changed
the processing model between those releases, but I tested migration
of a few BSPs and they all worked.

So something different is happening here.

I can't say what is is just by reading the description, but if I could
build something like you are describing, I can figure out what's happening.

Bruce