* Illuminated keyboard on ASUS U50VG laptop, backlight or led ?
@ 2009-07-24  7:34 Corentin Chary
From: Corentin Chary @ 2009-07-24  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux acpi, Matthew Garrett, Alan Jenkins

Hi,
I'm working on Illimunated keyboard for some new Asus U50VG,
There is some kind of backlight for the keyboard:
http://forum.amtech.com.vn/attachments/reviews-zone/16272d1245751662-laptop-asus-u50vg-con-sot-moi-cua-asus-p1010643.jpg
There is 4 level of brightness.

I've found the ACPI to control that, but I'm not sure if I should
register it as a led or as a backlight.

Any Idea ?

Thanks
--
Corentin Chary
http://xf.iksaif.net - http://uffs.org

* Re: Illuminated keyboard on ASUS U50VG laptop, backlight or led ?
@ 2009-07-28 19:51 ` Corentin Chary
From: Corentin Chary @ 2009-07-28 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux acpi, Matthew Garrett, Alan Jenkins, acpi4asus-user

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 9:34 AM, Corentin Chary<corentin.chary@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm working on Illimunated keyboard for some new Asus U50VG,
> There is some kind of backlight for the keyboard:
> http://forum.amtech.com.vn/attachments/reviews-zone/16272d1245751662-laptop-asus-u50vg-con-sot-moi-cua-asus-p1010643.jpg
> There is 4 level of brightness.
>
> I've found the ACPI to control that, but I'm not sure if I should
> register it as a led or as a backlight.
>
> Any Idea ?
>
> Thanks

No answers.
I think I'll implement that as a backlight, because it is a backlight
even if it's not for a screen.

--

@ 2009-07-28 20:04   ` Matthew Garrett
From: Matthew Garrett @ 2009-07-28 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corentin Chary; +Cc: linux acpi, Alan Jenkins, acpi4asus-user

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 09:51:09PM +0200, Corentin Chary wrote:

> No answers.
> I think I'll implement that as a backlight, because it is a backlight
> even if it's not for a screen.

I believe the SMC driver for the Apples does it via LED, so it might
make sense to be consistent with that.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

* Re: Illuminated keyboard on ASUS U50VG laptop, backlight or led ?
@ 2009-08-01 10:40     ` Corentin Chary
From: Corentin Chary @ 2009-08-01 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Garrett; +Cc: linux acpi, Alan Jenkins, acpi4asus-user

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 10:04 PM, Matthew Garrett<mjg59@srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 09:51:09PM +0200, Corentin Chary wrote:
>
>> No answers.
>> I think I'll implement that as a backlight, because it is a backlight
>> even if it's not for a screen.
>
> I believe the SMC driver for the Apples does it via LED, so it might
> make sense to be consistent with that.
>
> --
> Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

So it will be a led.
There is another problem, Fn+F3/F4 generate ACPI events

Fn+F3 : hotkey ATKD 000000c5 00000000
Fn+F4 : hotkey ATKD 000000c4 00000000

Fn+F3: decreases keyboard brightness
Fn+F4: increases keyboard brightness

Should we handle these events with acpi scripts or directly in the driver ?
IMHO it can be done directly in the driver, like LCD On/Off keys.

--

@ 2009-08-01 11:19       ` Alan Jenkins
From: Alan Jenkins @ 2009-08-01 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corentin Chary; +Cc: Matthew Garrett, linux acpi, acpi4asus-user

Corentin Chary wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 10:04 PM, Matthew Garrett<mjg59@srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 09:51:09PM +0200, Corentin Chary wrote:
>>

>>> No answers.
>>> I think I'll implement that as a backlight, because it is a backlight
>>> even if it's not for a screen.
>>>
>> I believe the SMC driver for the Apples does it via LED, so it might
>> make sense to be consistent with that.
>>
>> --
>> Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org
>>

> So it will be a led.

I think you should also match the LED name used by the apple driver.  As
far as I know it's the only sensible way for userspace to identify the
LED.  The SMC driver uses "smc::kbd_backlight",  so something like
"eeepc::kbd_backlight".

> There is another problem, Fn+F3/F4 generate ACPI events
>
> Fn+F3 : hotkey ATKD 000000c5 00000000
> Fn+F4 : hotkey ATKD 000000c4 00000000
>
> Fn+F3: decreases keyboard brightness
> Fn+F4: increases keyboard brightness
>
> Should we handle these events with acpi scripts or directly in the driver ?
> IMHO it can be done directly in the driver, like LCD On/Off keys.

Here's my opinion based on no experience and 10 minutes with google :-).

Userspace should take charge of changing the brightness.  It would be
good to generate input events (KEY_KBDILLUMUP etc) as well though.

Hopefully hald-addon-generic-kbd-backlight already responds to
KEY_KBDILLUM*.  If so, then one could use Hal along with an FDI file
like the apple one
(<http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2008-October/012360.html>).
That's close to what we should ultimately be aiming for, except for the
specific match on "smc::kbd_backlight".  It would be great to just have
one rule matching on *::kbd_backlight.

Alan

* Re: Illuminated keyboard on ASUS U50VG laptop, backlight or led ?
@ 2009-08-01 12:40         ` Corentin Chary
From: Corentin Chary @ 2009-08-01 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Jenkins
  Cc: Matthew Garrett, acpi4asus-user, Henrik Rydberg, hal, linux acpi

On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 1:19 PM, Alan Jenkins<alan-jenkins@tuffmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Corentin Chary wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 10:04 PM, Matthew Garrett<mjg59@srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
>>> I believe the SMC driver for the Apples does it via LED, so it might
>>> make sense to be consistent with that.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org
>>
>> So it will be a led.
>
> I think you should also match the LED name used by the apple driver.  As
> far as I know it's the only sensible way for userspace to identify the
> LED.  The SMC driver uses "smc::kbd_backlight",  so something like
> "eeepc::kbd_backlight".

Not an eeepc, but yeah, it will be asus::kbd_backlight

>> There is another problem, Fn+F3/F4 generate ACPI events
>>
>> Fn+F3 : hotkey ATKD 000000c5 00000000
>> Fn+F4 : hotkey ATKD 000000c4 00000000
>>
>> Fn+F3: decreases keyboard brightness
>> Fn+F4: increases keyboard brightness
>>
>> Should we handle these events with acpi scripts or directly in the driver ?
>> IMHO it can be done directly in the driver, like LCD On/Off keys.
>>

> Userspace should take charge of changing the brightness.  It would be
> good to generate input events (KEY_KBDILLUMUP etc) as well though.
>
> Hopefully hald-addon-generic-kbd-backlight already responds to
> KEY_KBDILLUM*.  If so, then one could use Hal along with an FDI file
> like the apple one
> (<http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2008-October/012360.html>).
> That's close to what we should ultimately be aiming for, except for the
> specific match on "smc::kbd_backlight".  It would be great to just have
> one rule matching on *::kbd_backlight.

Maybe just *:kbd_backlight . The naming scheme is vendor:color:name
The problem is that hald-addon-generic-kbd-backlight is not merged upstream.

So, hal mailing list is now CC'ed
Is there any plan to merge hald-addon-generic-kbd-backlight ?
Patch can be found here:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2008-October/012361.html

@ 2009-08-01 13:21           ` Danny Kukawka
From: Danny Kukawka @ 2009-08-01 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hal
  Cc: Matthew Garrett, acpi4asus-user, linux acpi, Alan Jenkins,
	Corentin Chary, Henrik Rydberg

On Samstag, 1. August 2009, Corentin Chary wrote:
> Maybe just *:kbd_backlight . The naming scheme is vendor:color:name
> The problem is that hald-addon-generic-kbd-backlight is not merged
> upstream.
>
> So, hal mailing list is now CC'ed
> Is there any plan to merge hald-addon-generic-kbd-backlight ?
> Patch can be found here:
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2008-October/012361.html

This patch is not needed. There is a generic addon for the leds subsystem in
HAL.

Check out:
http://people.freedesktop.org/~dkukawka/hal-spec-git/hal-spec.html#interface-device-leds

If there is any problem with this addon, let me know.

Danny

* Re: Illuminated keyboard on ASUS U50VG laptop, backlight or led ?
@ 2009-08-01 15:50             ` Corentin Chary
From: Corentin Chary @ 2009-08-01 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny Kukawka
  Cc: hal, Alan Jenkins, Matthew Garrett, acpi4asus-user, linux acpi

On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Danny Kukawka<danny.kukawka@web.de> wrote:
> On Samstag, 1. August 2009, Corentin Chary wrote:
>> Maybe just *:kbd_backlight . The naming scheme is vendor:color:name
>> The problem is that hald-addon-generic-kbd-backlight is not merged
>> upstream.
>>
>> So, hal mailing list is now CC'ed
>> Is there any plan to merge hald-addon-generic-kbd-backlight ?
>> Patch can be found here:
>> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2008-October/012361.html
>
> This patch is not needed. There is a generic addon for the leds subsystem in
> HAL.
>
> Check out:
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~dkukawka/hal-spec-git/hal-spec.html#interface-device-leds
>
> If there is any problem with this addon, let me know.
>
> Danny

It seems there is also a KeyboardBacklight interface which is what we
want, but I didn't find how to use it
without an addon (like addon-macbookpro-backlight).

Summary of the thread:
Asus U50 provide a keyboard backlight, I didn't know how to expose
that to userspace.
Matthew told me that in Apples, the SMC driver expose the keyboard
backlight as a led.
Then Alan found hald-addon-generic-kbd-backlight to plug the led subsystem and
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.KeyboardBacklight interface.

What we want to do is change the brightness when KEY_KBDILLUM* is pressed.

I believe that we need a keyboard backlight addon that respond to  KEY_KBDILLUM*
and update the corresponding /sys/class/vendor:color:kbd_backlight.

--

@ 2009-08-01 16:30               ` Alan Jenkins
From: Alan Jenkins @ 2009-08-01 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corentin Chary
  Cc: Danny Kukawka, hal, Matthew Garrett, acpi4asus-user, linux acpi

On 8/1/09, Corentin Chary <corentin.chary@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Danny Kukawka<danny.kukawka@web.de> wrote:
>> On Samstag, 1. August 2009, Corentin Chary wrote:
>>> Maybe just *:kbd_backlight . The naming scheme is vendor:color:name
>>> The problem is that hald-addon-generic-kbd-backlight is not merged
>>> upstream.
>>>
>>> So, hal mailing list is now CC'ed
>>> Is there any plan to merge hald-addon-generic-kbd-backlight ?
>>> Patch can be found here:
>>> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2008-October/012361.html
>>
>> This patch is not needed. There is a generic addon for the leds subsystem
>> in
>> HAL.
>>
>> Check out:
>> http://people.freedesktop.org/~dkukawka/hal-spec-git/hal-spec.html#interface-device-leds
>>
>> If there is any problem with this addon, let me know.
>>
>> Danny
>
> It seems there is also a KeyboardBacklight interface which is what we
> want, but I didn't find how to use it
> without an addon (like addon-macbookpro-backlight).

But if you look at the methods, they are exactly the same, right?  I
think the idea is to use an FDI file to match our LED device (or
possibly create it as a hal device... I'm still really fuzzy on hal),
and then mark it as having the "keyboard_backlight" capability.

> Summary of the thread:
> Asus U50 provide a keyboard backlight, I didn't know how to expose
> that to userspace.
> Matthew told me that in Apples, the SMC driver expose the keyboard
> backlight as a led.
> Then Alan found hald-addon-generic-kbd-backlight to plug the led subsystem
> and
> org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.KeyboardBacklight interface.
>
> What we want to do is change the brightness when KEY_KBDILLUM* is pressed.
>
> I believe that we need a keyboard backlight addon that respond to
> KEY_KBDILLUM*
> and update the corresponding /sys/class/vendor:color:kbd_backlight.

Oops, thats not the addons job.  It's for something like the gnome
power manager.  It looks like g-p-m already picks up the device with a
"keyboard_backlight" capability, and react to keyboard brightness key
events.

Regards
Alan

* Re: Illuminated keyboard on ASUS U50VG laptop, backlight or led ?
@ 2009-08-01 17:21                 ` Danny Kukawka
From: Danny Kukawka @ 2009-08-01 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hal
  Cc: Matthew Garrett, acpi4asus-user, Alan Jenkins, Corentin Chary,
	linux acpi

On Samstag, 1. August 2009, Alan Jenkins wrote:
> On 8/1/09, Corentin Chary <corentin.chary@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> > It seems there is also a KeyboardBacklight interface which is what we
> > want, but I didn't find how to use it
> > without an addon (like addon-macbookpro-backlight).
>
> But if you look at the methods, they are exactly the same, right?

Yes, they are.

> think the idea is to use an FDI file to match our LED device (or
> possibly create it as a hal device... I'm still really fuzzy on hal),
> and then mark it as having the "keyboard_backlight" capability.

No, it wouldn't work this way. At least not with the current key.

I changed the led addon in my repo to check if a led has
leds.function=kbd_backlight and provide then the
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.KeyboardBacklight interface instead of
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Leds. Please check if this helps.

see:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~dkukawka/hal/commit/?id=c900d0e5012b1dd0e0fa6e20fd0d92a59b3de093

[...]
> > I believe that we need a keyboard backlight addon that respond to
> > KEY_KBDILLUM*
> > and update the corresponding /sys/class/vendor:color:kbd_backlight.
>
> Oops, thats not the addons job.  It's for something like the gnome
> power manager.  It looks like g-p-m already picks up the device with a
> "keyboard_backlight" capability, and react to keyboard brightness key
> events.

Correct. It's not the job of the addon to react on keyevents. This is up to a
desktop application which listen to the events and call then the interface.
The same way it work for e.g. the brightness of your laptop panel.

Danny

* Re: Illuminated keyboard on ASUS U50VG laptop, backlight or led ?
@ 2009-08-01 19:43                   ` Alan Jenkins
From: Alan Jenkins @ 2009-08-01 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny Kukawka
  Cc: hal, Corentin Chary, Matthew Garrett, acpi4asus-user, linux acpi

On 8/1/09, Danny Kukawka <danny.kukawka@web.de> wrote:
> On Samstag, 1. August 2009, Alan Jenkins wrote:
>> think the idea is to use an FDI file to match our LED device (or
>> possibly create it as a hal device... I'm still really fuzzy on hal),
>> and then mark it as having the "keyboard_backlight" capability.
>
> No, it wouldn't work this way. At least not with the current key.
>
> I changed the led addon in my repo to check if a led has
> leds.function=kbd_backlight and provide then the
> org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.KeyboardBacklight interface instead of
> org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Leds. Please check if this helps.
>
> see:
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~dkukawka/hal/commit/?id=c900d0e5012b1dd0e0fa6e20fd0d92a59b3de093
>
> [...]
>> > I believe that we need a keyboard backlight addon that respond to
>> > KEY_KBDILLUM*
>> > and update the corresponding /sys/class/vendor:color:kbd_backlight.
>>
>> Oops, thats not the addons job.  It's for something like the gnome
>> power manager.  It looks like g-p-m already picks up the device with a
>> "keyboard_backlight" capability, and react to keyboard brightness key
>> events.
>
> Correct. It's not the job of the addon to react on keyevents. This is up to
> desktop application which listen to the events and call then the interface.
> The same way it work for e.g. the brightness of your laptop panel.
>
> Danny

Thanks!  It's not my hardware, but I think I see an issue:

Don't you also need to set "keyboard_backlight.num_levels"?  According
to Documentation/leds-class.txt, valid led values are 0-255, so I
expect num_levels should be set to 256.

Yuck... I think the backlight interface is better in that it exports
the available granularity.  But I guess all one really wants is "on"
and "off", with finer adjustment being either automatic (light sensor)
or buried as a config option.

I assume info.capabilities=["keyboard_backlight"] gets set
automatically on the KeyboardBacklight interface.

Alan

* Re: Illuminated keyboard on ASUS U50VG laptop, backlight or led ?
@ 2009-08-01 19:47                     ` Alan Jenkins
From: Alan Jenkins @ 2009-08-01 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny Kukawka
  Cc: hal, Corentin Chary, Matthew Garrett, acpi4asus-user, linux acpi

On 8/1/09, Alan Jenkins <sourcejedi.lkml@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 8/1/09, Danny Kukawka <danny.kukawka@web.de> wrote:
>> On Samstag, 1. August 2009, Alan Jenkins wrote:
>>> think the idea is to use an FDI file to match our LED device (or
>>> possibly create it as a hal device... I'm still really fuzzy on hal),
>>> and then mark it as having the "keyboard_backlight" capability.
>>
>> No, it wouldn't work this way. At least not with the current key.
>>
>> I changed the led addon in my repo to check if a led has
>> leds.function=kbd_backlight and provide then the
>> org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.KeyboardBacklight interface instead of
>> org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Leds. Please check if this helps.
>>
>> see:
>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~dkukawka/hal/commit/?id=c900d0e5012b1dd0e0fa6e20fd0d92a59b3de093
>>
>> [...]
>>>
>>> Oops, thats not the addons job.  It's for something like the gnome
>>> power manager.  It looks like g-p-m already picks up the device with a
>>> "keyboard_backlight" capability, and react to keyboard brightness key
>>> events.
>>
>> Correct. It's not the job of the addon to react on keyevents. This is up
>> desktop application which listen to the events and call then the
>> interface.
>> The same way it work for e.g. the brightness of your laptop panel.
>>
>> Danny
>
> Thanks!  It's not my hardware, but I think I see an issue:
>
> Don't you also need to set "keyboard_backlight.num_levels"?  According
> to Documentation/leds-class.txt, valid led values are 0-255, so I
> expect num_levels should be set to 256.
>
> Yuck... I think the backlight interface is better in that it exports
> the available granularity.
^
Sorry, to avoid confusion I was moaning about the _kernel_ backlight
interface.  Apologies for being obscure.

Thanks again
Alan

* Re: Illuminated keyboard on ASUS U50VG laptop, backlight or led ?
@ 2009-08-02  7:20                     ` Corentin Chary
From: Corentin Chary @ 2009-08-02  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny Kukawka
  Cc: Matthew Garrett, acpi4asus-user, Alan Jenkins, hal, linux acpi

>> see:
>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~dkukawka/hal/commit/?id=c900d0e5012b1dd0e0fa6e20fd0d92a59b3de093

It's not my hardware either, but I can try to create a fake
kbd_keyboard led to test that.

> Don't you also need to set "keyboard_backlight.num_levels"?  According
> to Documentation/leds-class.txt, valid led values are 0-255, so I
> expect num_levels should be set to 256.

Valid led values are between 0 and max_brightness (like for backlight I think).
I think the led addon should set keyboard_backlight.num_levels to
max_brightness (+1 ?).

> Yuck... I think the backlight interface is better in that it exports
> the available granularity.  But I guess all one really wants is "on"
> and "off", with finer adjustment being either automatic (light sensor)
> or buried as a config option.

On the Asus U50 there is 3 levels (+ off), and keys to change the brightness.
And the user want to use all the backlight levels with the Fn+F3/F4 keys.

--

@ 2009-08-06 10:07                       ` Corentin Chary
From: Corentin Chary @ 2009-08-06 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny Kukawka
  Cc: Matthew Garrett, acpi4asus-user, Alan Jenkins, hal, linux acpi

On Sunday 02 August 2009 09:20:00 Corentin Chary wrote:
> >> see:
> >> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~dkukawka/hal/commit/?id=c900d0e5012b1dd0e0f
> >>a6e20fd0d92a59b3de093
>
> It's not my hardware either, but I can try to create a fake
> kbd_keyboard led to test that.
>
> > Don't you also need to set "keyboard_backlight.num_levels"?  According
> > to Documentation/leds-class.txt, valid led values are 0-255, so I
> > expect num_levels should be set to 256.
>
> Valid led values are between 0 and max_brightness (like for backlight I
> think). I think the led addon should set keyboard_backlight.num_levels to
> max_brightness (+1 ?).
>
> > Yuck... I think the backlight interface is better in that it exports
> > the available granularity.  But I guess all one really wants is "on"
> > and "off", with finer adjustment being either automatic (light sensor)
> > or buried as a config option.
>
> On the Asus U50 there is 3 levels (+ off), and keys to change the
> brightness. And the user want to use all the backlight levels with the
> Fn+F3/F4 keys.

Hi Danny,
I was trying to add keyboard_backlight.num_levels support for your modified
led-addon. But there is something I don't understand :-
keyboard_backlight.num_levels is used in:
- examples/light_sensors_and_keyboard_backlight.py
- fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-macbookpro-utils.fdi
- kde/solid/hal/halpower.cpp
But it is not defined in doc/spec/hal-spec-properties.xml.

Should I make another patch to fix hal-spec-properties ?

@ 2009-08-06 10:48                         ` Danny Kukawka
From: Danny Kukawka @ 2009-08-06 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hal
  Cc: Corentin Chary, Matthew Garrett, acpi4asus-user, Alan Jenkins,
	linux acpi

On Donnerstag, 6. August 2009, Corentin Chary wrote:
> Hi Danny,
> I was trying to add keyboard_backlight.num_levels support for your modified
> led-addon. But there is something I don't understand :-
> keyboard_backlight.num_levels is used in:
> - examples/light_sensors_and_keyboard_backlight.py
> - fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-macbookpro-utils.fdi
> - kde/solid/hal/halpower.cpp
> But it is not defined in doc/spec/hal-spec-properties.xml.
>
> Should I make another patch to fix hal-spec-properties ?

Can you please provide a "grep . */*" from /sys/class/leds/ with the affected
device? If I read the kernel doc for leds (which this device is), we don't
need a num_levels for it:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/leds-class.txt;h=6399557cdab3d6542a0feea0c0cd2c6b2af5ffad;hb=HEAD

"... The brightness file will set the brightness of the LED (taking a value
0-255). Most LEDs don't have hardware brightness support so will just be
turned on for non-zero brightness settings. ..."

Danny

* Re: Illuminated keyboard on ASUS U50VG laptop, backlight or led ?
@ 2009-08-06 11:59                           ` Corentin Chary
From: Corentin Chary @ 2009-08-06 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny Kukawka
  Cc: hal, Matthew Garrett, acpi4asus-user, Alan Jenkins, linux acpi

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Danny Kukawka<danny.kukawka@web.de> wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 6. August 2009, Corentin Chary wrote:
>> Hi Danny,
>> I was trying to add keyboard_backlight.num_levels support for your modified
>> led-addon. But there is something I don't understand :-
>> keyboard_backlight.num_levels is used in:
>> - examples/light_sensors_and_keyboard_backlight.py
>> - fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-macbookpro-utils.fdi
>> - kde/solid/hal/halpower.cpp
>> But it is not defined in doc/spec/hal-spec-properties.xml.
>>
>> Should I make another patch to fix hal-spec-properties ?
>
> Can you please provide a "grep . */*" from /sys/class/leds/ with the affected
> device? If I read the kernel doc for leds (which this device is), we don't
> need a num_levels for it:
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/leds-class.txt;h=6399557cdab3d6542a0feea0c0cd2c6b2af5ffad;hb=HEAD
>
> "... The brightness file will set the brightness of the LED (taking a value
> 0-255). Most LEDs don't have hardware brightness support so will just be
> turned on for non-zero brightness settings. ..."

The documentation is probably out of date, the led class provide
a max_brightness file. 255 is the default value, but it can be overridden.

See: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=drivers/leds/led-class.c;h=f2cc13d76810f457c752d6f92f53759980f465ea;hb=HEAD#l76

leds-dac124s085.c define it to 0xFFF for example.
And asus-laptop will soon use 3 as max_brightness for asus::kbd_backlight.

But still, it seems that examples/light_sensors_and_keyboard_backlight.py
and others are using something that is not defined in hal-spec-properties.

@ 2009-08-06 16:20                             ` Danny Kukawka
From: Danny Kukawka @ 2009-08-06 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hal
  Cc: Corentin Chary, Matthew Garrett, acpi4asus-user, Alan Jenkins,
	linux acpi

On Donnerstag, 6. August 2009, Corentin Chary wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Danny Kukawka<danny.kukawka@web.de> wrote:
[...]
> > Can you please provide a "grep . */*" from /sys/class/leds/ with the
> > affected device? If I read the kernel doc for leds (which this device
> > is), we don't need a num_levels for it:
> >
> > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f
> >=Documentation/leds-class.txt;h=6399557cdab3d6542a0feea0c0cd2c6b2af5ffad;h
> >b=HEAD
> >
> > "... The brightness file will set the brightness of the LED (taking a
> > value 0-255). Most LEDs don't have hardware brightness support so will
> > just be turned on for non-zero brightness settings. ..."
>
> The documentation is probably out of date, the led class provide
> a max_brightness file. 255 is the default value, but it can be overridden.
>
> See:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=d
>rivers/leds/led-class.c;h=f2cc13d76810f457c752d6f92f53759980f465ea;hb=HEAD#l
>76
>
> leds-dac124s085.c define it to 0xFFF for example.
> And asus-laptop will soon use 3 as max_brightness for asus::kbd_backlight.
>
> But still, it seems that examples/light_sensors_and_keyboard_backlight.py
> and others are using something that is not defined in hal-spec-properties.

Thanks for the information. Please check out my latest commits:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~dkukawka/hal/log/

I hope this finally solve the problem.

Danny

* Re: Illuminated keyboard on ASUS U50VG laptop, backlight or led ?
@ 2009-08-06 17:00                               ` Corentin Chary
From: Corentin Chary @ 2009-08-06 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny Kukawka
  Cc: Matthew Garrett, acpi4asus-user, Alan Jenkins, hal, linux acpi

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 6:20 PM, Danny Kukawka<danny.kukawka@web.de> wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 6. August 2009, Corentin Chary wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Danny Kukawka<danny.kukawka@web.de> wrote:
> [...]
>> > Can you please provide a "grep . */*" from /sys/class/leds/ with the
>> > affected device? If I read the kernel doc for leds (which this device
>> > is), we don't need a num_levels for it:
>> >
>> > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f
>> >=Documentation/leds-class.txt;h=6399557cdab3d6542a0feea0c0cd2c6b2af5ffad;h
>> >b=HEAD
>> >
>> > "... The brightness file will set the brightness of the LED (taking a
>> > value 0-255). Most LEDs don't have hardware brightness support so will
>> > just be turned on for non-zero brightness settings. ..."
>>
>> The documentation is probably out of date, the led class provide
>> a max_brightness file. 255 is the default value, but it can be overridden.
>>
>> See:
>> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=d
>>rivers/leds/led-class.c;h=f2cc13d76810f457c752d6f92f53759980f465ea;hb=HEAD#l
>>76
>>
>> leds-dac124s085.c define it to 0xFFF for example.
>> And asus-laptop will soon use 3 as max_brightness for asus::kbd_backlight.
>>
>> But still, it seems that examples/light_sensors_and_keyboard_backlight.py
>> and others are using something that is not defined in hal-spec-properties.
>
> Thanks for the information. Please check out my latest commits:
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~dkukawka/hal/log/
>
> I hope this finally solve the problem.

It seems ok, I'll try it ASAP and report any problem.

I'll also write Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-class-{led-backlight-lcd} and
update Documentation/led-class.txt to avoid any confusion.

@ 2009-12-07  7:51                               ` Corentin Chary
From: Corentin Chary @ 2009-12-07  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny Kukawka
  Cc: Matthew Garrett, acpi4asus-user, Alan Jenkins, hal, linux acpi

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 5:20 PM, Danny Kukawka <danny.kukawka@web.de> wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 6. August 2009, Corentin Chary wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Danny Kukawka<danny.kukawka@web.de> wrote:
> [...]
>> > Can you please provide a "grep . */*" from /sys/class/leds/ with the
>> > affected device? If I read the kernel doc for leds (which this device
>> > is), we don't need a num_levels for it:
>> >
>> > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f
>> >=Documentation/leds-class.txt;h=6399557cdab3d6542a0feea0c0cd2c6b2af5ffad;h
>> >b=HEAD
>> >
>> > "... The brightness file will set the brightness of the LED (taking a
>> > value 0-255). Most LEDs don't have hardware brightness support so will
>> > just be turned on for non-zero brightness settings. ..."
>>
>> The documentation is probably out of date, the led class provide
>> a max_brightness file. 255 is the default value, but it can be overridden.
>>
>> See:
>> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=d
>>rivers/leds/led-class.c;h=f2cc13d76810f457c752d6f92f53759980f465ea;hb=HEAD#l
>>76
>>
>> leds-dac124s085.c define it to 0xFFF for example.
>> And asus-laptop will soon use 3 as max_brightness for asus::kbd_backlight.
>>
>> But still, it seems that examples/light_sensors_and_keyboard_backlight.py
>> and others are using something that is not defined in hal-spec-properties.
>
> Thanks for the information. Please check out my latest commits:
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~dkukawka/hal/log/
>
> I hope this finally solve the problem.
>
> Danny

Hi,
Was this patch merged upstream ?
Do we need to do something else for DeviceKit now that hal is deprecated ?
Thanks

--
Corentin Chary
http://xf.iksaif.net