* [Qemu-devel] Moving seabios-hppa git submodule to use a qemu.org mirror
@ 2018-02-20 18:43 Peter Maydell
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Peter Maydell @ 2018-02-20 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Cody, Stefan Hajnoczi, QEMU Developers
  Cc: Richard Henderson, BALATON Zoltan

I just noticed that we seem to have acquired another git
submodule that isn't pointing to a qemu.org git url:

[submodule "roms/seabios-hppa"]
        path = roms/seabios-hppa
        url = git://github.com/hdeller/seabios-hppa.git

Jeff, could we set up so we can mirror this repo on qemu.org?
Then we can send a patch to update the .gitmodules to point to it.

(There's also a patchset on list that wants to add a
submodule for git://github.com/zbalaton/u-boot-sam460ex
but I don't know if that will go in or not yet. Should
we insist that we set up the mirror first for new
submodules, or allow them in and fix things up after?
By default we're doing the latter at the moment; the
former seems cleaner but makes it more painful for
contributors to get things added which need new
submodules.)

thanks
-- PMM

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Moving seabios-hppa git submodule to use a qemu.org mirror
@ 2018-02-20 21:41 ` BALATON Zoltan
From: BALATON Zoltan @ 2018-02-20 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell
  Cc: Jeff Cody, Stefan Hajnoczi, QEMU Developers, Richard Henderson,
	David Gibson

On Tue, 20 Feb 2018, Peter Maydell wrote:
> I just noticed that we seem to have acquired another git
> submodule that isn't pointing to a qemu.org git url:
>
> [submodule "roms/seabios-hppa"]
>        path = roms/seabios-hppa
>        url = git://github.com/hdeller/seabios-hppa.git

And there's also

[submodule "roms/qemu-palcode"]
         path = roms/qemu-palcode
         url = git://github.com/rth7680/qemu-palcode.git

if that matters.

> Jeff, could we set up so we can mirror this repo on qemu.org?
> Then we can send a patch to update the .gitmodules to point to it.
>
> (There's also a patchset on list that wants to add a
> submodule for git://github.com/zbalaton/u-boot-sam460ex
> but I don't know if that will go in or not yet. Should

I think the patches that add the board are queued in the PPC tree and may
be in next pull request (unless they have to be dropped for some reason)
so it would be nice if this firmware could go in with that as well for the
board to be usable without getting the firmware binary separately.

> we insist that we set up the mirror first for new
> submodules, or allow them in and fix things up after?
> By default we're doing the latter at the moment; the
> former seems cleaner but makes it more painful for
> contributors to get things added which need new
> submodules.)

I don't mind either way and don't expect to change this u-boot source too
much in the future so if you just copy it to the qemu repo without
mirroring my repo that's fine as well. (If any change will be needed I can
submit patches for it like for other QEMU parts but this should not be
needed too frequently as this firmware is not developed any further by
upstream so only changes may be bugfixes from QEMU contributors.) But I
can't do that myself so I need help with that. All I could do is to
provide my own repo and refer to that for all else I need your help.

Thank you,
BALATON Zoltan

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Moving seabios-hppa git submodule to use a qemu.org mirror
@ 2018-02-20 21:55   ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2018-02-20 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BALATON Zoltan, Peter Maydell
  Cc: Jeff Cody, David Gibson, QEMU Developers, Stefan Hajnoczi,
	Richard Henderson

On 20/02/2018 22:41, BALATON Zoltan wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Feb 2018, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> I just noticed that we seem to have acquired another git
>> submodule that isn't pointing to a qemu.org git url:
>>
>> [submodule "roms/seabios-hppa"]
>>        path = roms/seabios-hppa
>>        url = git://github.com/hdeller/seabios-hppa.git
>
> And there's also
>
> [submodule "roms/qemu-palcode"]
>         path = roms/qemu-palcode
>         url = git://github.com/rth7680/qemu-palcode.git
>
> if that matters.

That already exists at https://github.com/qemu/qemu-palcode, it's just
not pointed to by .gitmodules.

> I don't mind either way and don't expect to change this u-boot source
> too much in the future so if you just copy it to the qemu repo without
> mirroring my repo that's fine as well. (If any change will be needed I
> can submit patches for it like for other QEMU parts but this should not
> be needed too frequently as this firmware is not developed any further
> by upstream so only changes may be bugfixes from QEMU contributors.) But
> I can't do that myself so I need help with that. All I could do is to
> provide my own repo and refer to that for all else I need your help.

Out of curiosity, why is it not upstream?

Paolo

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Moving seabios-hppa git submodule to use a qemu.org mirror
@ 2018-02-20 22:01 ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2018-02-20 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell, Jeff Cody, Stefan Hajnoczi, QEMU Developers
  Cc: Richard Henderson

On 20/02/2018 19:43, Peter Maydell wrote:
> I just noticed that we seem to have acquired another git
> submodule that isn't pointing to a qemu.org git url:
>
> [submodule "roms/seabios-hppa"]
>         path = roms/seabios-hppa
>         url = git://github.com/hdeller/seabios-hppa.git
>
> Jeff, could we set up so we can mirror this repo on qemu.org?
> Then we can send a patch to update the .gitmodules to point to it.

This is a fork of SeaBIOS, perhaps we should add "branch = hppa" and
pull it into the existing SeaBIOS repo of qemu.git.

However, I am worried that any bugfixes are never going to be applied to
the HPPA version.  How much forked is the fork?

Paolo

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Moving seabios-hppa git submodule to use a qemu.org mirror
@ 2018-02-20 22:12     ` BALATON Zoltan
From: BALATON Zoltan @ 2018-02-20 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini
  Cc: Peter Maydell, Jeff Cody, David Gibson, QEMU Developers,
	Stefan Hajnoczi, Richard Henderson

On Tue, 20 Feb 2018, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>> I don't mind either way and don't expect to change this u-boot source
>> too much in the future so if you just copy it to the qemu repo without
>> mirroring my repo that's fine as well. (If any change will be needed I
>> can submit patches for it like for other QEMU parts but this should not
>> be needed too frequently as this firmware is not developed any further
>> by upstream so only changes may be bugfixes from QEMU contributors.) But
>> I can't do that myself so I need help with that. All I could do is to
>> provide my own repo and refer to that for all else I need your help.
>
> Out of curiosity, why is it not upstream?

See this thread:
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2018-02/msg05221.html
(and those that it refers to; this seems to be everyone's first question,
maybe I should add a FAQ in the commit message :-) )

I don't know the details but I guess the hardware vendor who created this
fork never bothered to upstream their changes and then u-boot has changed
so it's now not even simple to do so any more so this u-boot variant is at
a dead end and only needed for this board because guests running on it
(some of which are closed source thus cannot be changed) use the services
provided by this u-boot version.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Moving seabios-hppa git submodule to use a qemu.org mirror
@ 2018-02-21  5:27 ` Jeff Cody
From: Jeff Cody @ 2018-02-21  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell
  Cc: Stefan Hajnoczi, QEMU Developers, Richard Henderson, BALATON Zoltan

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 06:43:22PM +0000, Peter Maydell wrote:
> I just noticed that we seem to have acquired another git
> submodule that isn't pointing to a qemu.org git url:
>
> [submodule "roms/seabios-hppa"]
>         path = roms/seabios-hppa
>         url = git://github.com/hdeller/seabios-hppa.git
>
> Jeff, could we set up so we can mirror this repo on qemu.org?
> Then we can send a patch to update the .gitmodules to point to it.

Yes, of course... Although Paolo has suggested making it a branch of the
existing SeaBIOS repo instead.  But I can go ahead and get the clone setup,
in case we go that route.

> (There's also a patchset on list that wants to add a
> submodule for git://github.com/zbalaton/u-boot-sam460ex
> but I don't know if that will go in or not yet. Should
> we insist that we set up the mirror first for new
> submodules, or allow them in and fix things up after?
> By default we're doing the latter at the moment; the
> former seems cleaner but makes it more painful for
> contributors to get things added which need new
> submodules.)

My thought: while not as clean, I think it makes sense in general to allow a
patchset in first, and then switch it over later.  If we require a mirror on
qemu.org first, then we could end up creating mirrors that are never used,
if patches are rejected for some other reason and the submodule goes unused.
By doing the mirror later, the patchset goes through normal review and the
submodule is committed, and so we know for sure at that point we want the
mirror.

-Jeff

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Moving seabios-hppa git submodule to use a qemu.org mirror
@ 2018-03-19 13:19   ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2018-03-19 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Cody
  Cc: Stefan Hajnoczi, QEMU Developers, Richard Henderson, BALATON Zoltan

On 21 February 2018 at 05:27, Jeff Cody <jcody@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 06:43:22PM +0000, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> I just noticed that we seem to have acquired another git
>> submodule that isn't pointing to a qemu.org git url:
>>
>> [submodule "roms/seabios-hppa"]
>>         path = roms/seabios-hppa
>>         url = git://github.com/hdeller/seabios-hppa.git
>>
>> Jeff, could we set up so we can mirror this repo on qemu.org?
>> Then we can send a patch to update the .gitmodules to point to it.
>>

> Yes, of course... Although Paolo has suggested making it a branch of the
> existing SeaBIOS repo instead.  But I can go ahead and get the clone setup,
> in case we go that route.

Hi; can we get the mirror set up for seabios-hppa, and also for
the other new repo:
 git://github.com/zbalaton/u-boot-sam460ex

please?

(I've just sent a patch which moves the qemu-palcode module
to the already-existing mirror.)

@ 2018-03-19 13:32     ` BALATON Zoltan
From: BALATON Zoltan @ 2018-03-19 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell; +Cc: Jeff Cody, Stefan Hajnoczi, QEMU Developers

On Mon, 19 Mar 2018, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 21 February 2018 at 05:27, Jeff Cody <jcody@redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 06:43:22PM +0000, Peter Maydell wrote:
>>> I just noticed that we seem to have acquired another git
>>> submodule that isn't pointing to a qemu.org git url:
>>>
>>> [submodule "roms/seabios-hppa"]
>>>         path = roms/seabios-hppa
>>>         url = git://github.com/hdeller/seabios-hppa.git
>>>
>>> Jeff, could we set up so we can mirror this repo on qemu.org?
>>> Then we can send a patch to update the .gitmodules to point to it.
>>>

>> Yes, of course... Although Paolo has suggested making it a branch of the
>> existing SeaBIOS repo instead.  But I can go ahead and get the clone setup,
>> in case we go that route.
>
> Hi; can we get the mirror set up for seabios-hppa, and also for
> the other new repo:
> git://github.com/zbalaton/u-boot-sam460ex

I'd suggest to move the u-boot-sam460ex repo to qemu repo completely
instead of mirrorring it. I don't intend to change it in the future (apart
from maybe occasional bugfixes if needed which chould be submitted as
patches) so no need to keep an external repo and mirror it when it could
be held in qemu as primary.

Please let me know how you decide, I can then remove the the above repo
and refer to the qemu one in the future if you move it there or keep the
current one up if you choose to mirror it.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Moving seabios-hppa git submodule to use a qemu.org mirror
@ 2018-03-19 19:06     ` Jeff Cody
From: Jeff Cody @ 2018-03-19 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell
  Cc: Stefan Hajnoczi, QEMU Developers, Richard Henderson,
	BALATON Zoltan, pbonzini

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 01:19:36PM +0000, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 21 February 2018 at 05:27, Jeff Cody <jcody@redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 06:43:22PM +0000, Peter Maydell wrote:
> >> I just noticed that we seem to have acquired another git
> >> submodule that isn't pointing to a qemu.org git url:
> >>
> >> [submodule "roms/seabios-hppa"]
> >>         path = roms/seabios-hppa
> >>         url = git://github.com/hdeller/seabios-hppa.git
> >>
> >> Jeff, could we set up so we can mirror this repo on qemu.org?
> >> Then we can send a patch to update the .gitmodules to point to it.
> >>

> > Yes, of course... Although Paolo has suggested making it a branch of the
> > existing SeaBIOS repo instead.  But I can go ahead and get the clone setup,
> > in case we go that route.
>
> Hi; can we get the mirror set up for seabios-hppa, and also for
> the other new repo:
>  git://github.com/zbalaton/u-boot-sam460ex
>
> please?
>
> (I've just sent a patch which moves the qemu-palcode module
> to the already-existing mirror.)
>
> thanks
> -- PMM

Hi,

Both of these mirrors have been created, and are set to automatically
refresh like the other mirrors on qemu.org:

git://git.qemu.org/u-boot-sam460ex.git
https://git.qemu.org/git/u-boot-sam460ex.git

git://git.qemu.org/seabios-hppa.git
https://git.qemu.org/git/seabios-hppa.git

Let me know if there are any issues.

Paolo or Stefan,

If you create the repos for each of these under the qemu user on github,
I'll also enable pushing of these two mirrors to github (like we do with
other mirrors).

-Jeff

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Moving seabios-hppa git submodule to use a qemu.org mirror
@ 2018-03-19 19:15       ` Jeff Cody
From: Jeff Cody @ 2018-03-19 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BALATON Zoltan; +Cc: Peter Maydell, Stefan Hajnoczi, QEMU Developers

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 02:32:22PM +0100, BALATON Zoltan wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2018, Peter Maydell wrote:

> >>Yes, of course... Although Paolo has suggested making it a branch of the
> >>existing SeaBIOS repo instead.  But I can go ahead and get the clone setup,
> >>in case we go that route.
> >
> >Hi; can we get the mirror set up for seabios-hppa, and also for
> >the other new repo:
> >git://github.com/zbalaton/u-boot-sam460ex
>
> I'd suggest to move the u-boot-sam460ex repo to qemu repo completely instead
> of mirrorring it. I don't intend to change it in the future (apart from
> maybe occasional bugfixes if needed which chould be submitted as patches) so
> no need to keep an external repo and mirror it when it could be held in qemu
> as primary.
>
> Please let me know how you decide, I can then remove the the above repo and
> refer to the qemu one in the future if you move it there or keep the current
> one up if you choose to mirror it.

I went ahead and created it as a mirror.  If there is consensus on moving it
to qemu.org as a primary host, I can convert it (and I'll need to set you up
an account on qemu.org as well at that point, for those occasional
bugfixes).

For now, keep your repo up as a primary source until we know if we are
moving it to qemu.org rather than just mirroring it.

-Jeff

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Moving seabios-hppa git submodule to use a qemu.org mirror
@ 2018-03-19 21:36         ` BALATON Zoltan
From: BALATON Zoltan @ 2018-03-19 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Cody; +Cc: Peter Maydell, Stefan Hajnoczi, QEMU Developers

On Mon, 19 Mar 2018, Jeff Cody wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 02:32:22PM +0100, BALATON Zoltan wrote:

>>> Hi; can we get the mirror set up for seabios-hppa, and also for
>>> the other new repo:
>>> git://github.com/zbalaton/u-boot-sam460ex
>>
>> I'd suggest to move the u-boot-sam460ex repo to qemu repo completely instead
>> of mirrorring it. I don't intend to change it in the future (apart from
>> maybe occasional bugfixes if needed which chould be submitted as patches) so
>> no need to keep an external repo and mirror it when it could be held in qemu
>> as primary.
>>
>> Please let me know how you decide, I can then remove the the above repo and
>> refer to the qemu one in the future if you move it there or keep the current
>> one up if you choose to mirror it.
>>

> I went ahead and created it as a mirror.  If there is consensus on moving it
> to qemu.org as a primary host, I can convert it (and I'll need to set you up
> an account on qemu.org as well at that point, for those occasional
> bugfixes).

No need for an account as I can submit changes if needed as patches (as I
do with other changes to qemu) and then whoever has access to that repo
can commit it. As I've said there's no further development on this u-boot
branch so only changes expected are bugfixes if it's ever found to be
needed. Otherwise this repo should be really static.

> For now, keep your repo up as a primary source until we know if we are
> moving it to qemu.org rather than just mirroring it.

I'm OK with that as well, I'll keep the repo on github until you tell me
it's not needed any more. Thank you.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Moving seabios-hppa git submodule to use a qemu.org mirror
@ 2018-03-20 17:54       ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2018-03-20 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Cody, Peter Maydell
  Cc: Stefan Hajnoczi, QEMU Developers, Richard Henderson, BALATON Zoltan

On 19/03/2018 20:06, Jeff Cody wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 01:19:36PM +0000, Peter Maydell wrote:

>>> Yes, of course... Although Paolo has suggested making it a branch of the
>>> existing SeaBIOS repo instead.  But I can go ahead and get the clone setup,
>>> in case we go that route.
>>
>> Hi; can we get the mirror set up for seabios-hppa, and also for
>> the other new repo:
>>  git://github.com/zbalaton/u-boot-sam460ex
>>
>> please?
>>
>> (I've just sent a patch which moves the qemu-palcode module
>> to the already-existing mirror.)
>>
>> thanks
>> -- PMM
>

> Hi,
>
> Both of these mirrors have been created, and are set to automatically
> refresh like the other mirrors on qemu.org:
>
> git://git.qemu.org/u-boot-sam460ex.git
> https://git.qemu.org/git/u-boot-sam460ex.git
>

> git://git.qemu.org/seabios-hppa.git
> https://git.qemu.org/git/seabios-hppa.git
>

> Let me know if there are any issues.
>

> Paolo or Stefan,
>
> If you create the repos for each of these under the qemu user on github,
> I'll also enable pushing of these two mirrors to github (like we do with
> other mirrors).

Done.

Paolo

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Moving seabios-hppa git submodule to use a qemu.org mirror
@ 2018-03-21 15:09         ` Jeff Cody
From: Jeff Cody @ 2018-03-21 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini; +Cc: QEMU Developers

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 06:54:10PM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> On 19/03/2018 20:06, Jeff Cody wrote:

> >> Hi; can we get the mirror set up for seabios-hppa, and also for
> >> the other new repo:
> >>  git://github.com/zbalaton/u-boot-sam460ex
> >>
> >> please?
> >>
> >> (I've just sent a patch which moves the qemu-palcode module
> >> to the already-existing mirror.)
> >>
> >> thanks
> >> -- PMM
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > Both of these mirrors have been created, and are set to automatically
> > refresh like the other mirrors on qemu.org:
> >
> > git://git.qemu.org/u-boot-sam460ex.git
> > https://git.qemu.org/git/u-boot-sam460ex.git
> >

> > git://git.qemu.org/seabios-hppa.git
> > https://git.qemu.org/git/seabios-hppa.git
> >

> > Let me know if there are any issues.
> >

> > Paolo or Stefan,
> >
> > If you create the repos for each of these under the qemu user on github,
> > I'll also enable pushing of these two mirrors to github (like we do with
> > other mirrors).
>
> Done.

Thanks.  I am able to push u-boot-sam460ex to github just fine now, but I
get a permission error when trying to do the same for seabios-hppa:

  ERROR: Permission to qemu/seabios-hppa.git denied to qemu-deploy

Thanks,
Jeff

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Moving seabios-hppa git submodule to use a qemu.org mirror
@ 2018-03-21 15:21           ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2018-03-21 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Cody; +Cc: QEMU Developers

On 21/03/2018 16:09, Jeff Cody wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 06:54:10PM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Both of these mirrors have been created, and are set to automatically
>>> refresh like the other mirrors on qemu.org:
>>>
>>> git://git.qemu.org/u-boot-sam460ex.git
>>> https://git.qemu.org/git/u-boot-sam460ex.git
>>>

>>> git://git.qemu.org/seabios-hppa.git
>>> https://git.qemu.org/git/seabios-hppa.git
>>>

>>> Let me know if there are any issues.
>>>

>>> Paolo or Stefan,
>>>
>>> If you create the repos for each of these under the qemu user on github,
>>> I'll also enable pushing of these two mirrors to github (like we do with
>>> other mirrors).
>>
>> Done.
>>

> Thanks.  I am able to push u-boot-sam460ex to github just fine now, but I
> get a permission error when trying to do the same for seabios-hppa:
>
>   ERROR: Permission to qemu/seabios-hppa.git denied to qemu-deploy

Oops, I added the user but denied write access.  Fixed now.

Paolo

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Moving seabios-hppa git submodule to use a qemu.org mirror
@ 2018-03-21 15:34             ` Jeff Cody
From: Jeff Cody @ 2018-03-21 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini; +Cc: QEMU Developers

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 04:21:43PM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> On 21/03/2018 16:09, Jeff Cody wrote:

> >> Done.
> >>

> > Thanks.  I am able to push u-boot-sam460ex to github just fine now, but I
> > get a permission error when trying to do the same for seabios-hppa:
> >
> >   ERROR: Permission to qemu/seabios-hppa.git denied to qemu-deploy
>
> Oops, I added the user but denied write access.  Fixed now.

Thanks. I just checked, and it is all working correctly.

-Jeff