* [cip-dev] The security of NTP
@ 2020-07-27  1:59 Daniel Sangorrin
From: Daniel Sangorrin @ 2020-07-27  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev; +Cc: pavel, cip-security

Hi Pavel,
*I renamed the subject and added cip-security to Cc

In the past, I read a bit about this topic because NTP seemed to be weak against man-in-the-middle attacks and that could cause problems when updating software:
- the device may not be able to judge correctly whether a certificate is expired or not
- the device may reject updates because it thinks they are older than the current update (when using timestamps)

Both cases would cause the device not being updated (a freeze attack).

[Note] civil infrastructure devices may also use GPS Satellites for time synchronization, or contract private leased lines and set up their own NTP server there. Not perfect but probably there are easier ways to compromise your device.

After some reading, I found out that NTP includes authentication support nowadays (symmetric keys, autokey..) but apparently nobody uses them.
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5906
https://chrony.tuxfamily.org/comparison.html (check NTP authentication)

It seems there is a new standard called Network Time Security (NTS) now.
https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8633.html
https://weberblog.net/network-time-security-strengths-weaknesses/
https://www.infoq.com/news/2019/11/cloudflare-open-source-nts/

Also, during my investigation on software update technology I also found out that TUF (the update framework) and its child UPTANE had a separate Time server to limit the freeze attacks.

There was a nice presentation by Justin Cappos in Japan last year:
https://events19.linuxfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Uptane-2019-Summer-AGL-event.pdf

Thanks,
Daniel

> Best regards,
> 								Pavel
> --
> DENX Software Engineering GmbH,      Managing Director: Wolfgang Denk

* Re: [cip-dev] The security of NTP
@ 2020-07-27 11:32 ` Mohammed Billoo
From: Mohammed Billoo @ 2020-07-27 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Daniel, Pavel:

Thanks for the feedback. Is tlsdate a better alternative ( https://github.com/ioerror/tlsdate/ )? The only caveat if using tlsdate (or any sort of time mechanism that relies on a "well-known" server) is that an Internet connection is necessary. It isn't obvious to me whether this is acceptable or not. Can someone chime in?

Thanks
--
Mohammed Billoo
MAB Labs, LLC

* Re: [cip-dev] The security of NTP
@ 2020-07-27 12:41   ` Daniel Sangorrin
From: Daniel Sangorrin @ 2020-07-27 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

It seems that that project is dead, but there is a fork for ChromiumOS remaining that seems to be well maintained (for ChromiumOS)
https://github.com/ioerror/tlsdate/issues/199
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/third_party/tlsdate

There are some packages in Debian
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=tlsdate
but not for Buster.

Thanks,
Daniel

@ 2020-07-27 12:54     ` Mohammed Billoo
From: Mohammed Billoo @ 2020-07-27 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Daniel,

Thanks for pointing that out. Since CIP is reliant on available packages on
particular versions of Debian, would the process/workflow then be to wait
for tlsdate to be available in Buster and then pull it into CIP and
continue working on this issue? Or, should I just go ahead and try to get
tlsdate incorporated into Buster by following the contribution guidelines
in Debian?

Thanks

--
Mohammed A Billoo
Founder

* Re: [cip-dev] The security of NTP
@ 2020-07-27 13:40       ` Daniel Sangorrin
From: Daniel Sangorrin @ 2020-07-27 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi Mohammed

That would be something that needs to be decided by the whole CIP project, but I read that tlsdate depends on a timestamp that has been removed on TLS 1.3.
https://www.feistyduck.com/bulletproof-tls-newsletter/issue_54_network_time_security_nts_could_finally_bring_support_for_authenticated_network_time

Personally, I think that CIP should focus on NTS (already included in chrony for example)
https://www.iana.org/assignments/nts/nts.xhtml

Thanks,
Daniel

@ 2020-07-27 13:44         ` Mohammed Billoo