* changes to rados command
@ 2013-03-07 19:25 Andrew Hume
From: Andrew Hume @ 2013-03-07 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

in order to make the rados command more useful in scripts,
i'd like to make a change, specifically change to

rados -p pool getomapval obj key [fmt]

where fmt is an optional formatting parameter.
i've implemented 'str' which will print the value as an unadorned string.

what is the process for doing this?

andrew hume

* Re: changes to rados command
@ 2013-03-07 20:37 ` Greg Farnum
       [not found]   ` <ED04914F-28E0-4641-B00F-147CC757B184@research.att.com>
From: Greg Farnum @ 2013-03-07 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Hume; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 11:25 AM, Andrew Hume wrote:

> in order to make the rados command more useful in scripts,
> i'd like to make a change, specifically change to
>
> rados -p pool getomapval obj key [fmt]
>
> where fmt is an optional formatting parameter.
> i've implemented 'str' which will print the value as an unadorned string.
>
> what is the process for doing this?

Patch submission, you mean? Github pull requests, sending a pull request with git URL to the list, or sending straight patches the list are all good. I'll like you more if you give me a URL of some form instead of making me get the patches out of email and into my git repo correctly, though. :)
-Greg

* Re: changes to rados command
       [not found]   ` <ED04914F-28E0-4641-B00F-147CC757B184@research.att.com>
@ 2013-03-07 20:55     ` Greg Farnum
From: Greg Farnum @ 2013-03-07 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Hume; +Cc: ceph-devel

(Re-added the list for future reference)

Well, you'll need to learn how to use git at a basic level in order to be able to work effectively on Ceph (or most other open-source projects).
Some links that might be helpful:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-git-subversion-1/
http://try.github.com/

I haven't been through these all thoroughly, but the first one should describe the mental model changes that motivate git, the second looks to be a deep tutorial, and the third will teach you the mechanics. :)

Github pull requests are a Github nicety; their website will teach you how to use them. A simple git URL just requires that your git repository be accessible over the internet, and then you tell us what the URL is and what branch to pull from, and we can do so. (This of course requires that your changes actually be in a branch, so you'll need to have the commits arranged nicely and such.)
-Greg