* Using -rt and TuxOnIce at the same time
@ 2009-11-03 14:40 Pedro Ribeiro
From: Pedro Ribeiro @ 2009-11-03 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rt-users

Hello all,

I'm interested in using both the -rt patchset and the TuxOnIce for hibernation.
If you're not aware, TuxOnIce is a patch to enable "proper"
hibernation in Linux, IMO much superior to the one provided by the
base kernel.

Anyway, there is a collision in fork.c which is easily solvable, but
apart from that the patches don't collide. However, when I try to
hibernate the computer just hangs up. I brought this up on the
TuxOnIce mailing list and the main developer told me to contact you
first. He also told me that we would like to work with you to solve
this problem, since TOX is also  going to be slowly integrated in the
mainline kernel over time.

The problem is that the computer hangs and I have no way to capture
the output. The only thing I could do was to take some photos of the
screen. The first photo is what appears immediately after the
beggining of the hibernation process. After a few seconds, a rapid
succession of text appears and it captured partially on the second
(crappy) photo of the screen. On the 3rd photo shows how the system
stays indefinitely, and must be restarted by pressing the power button
for 3 secs.

I know the material I provided is a bit crap, but please let me know
how can I help you.

The zipped file containing the photos is here
http://www.2shared.com/file/8900964/61ee7898/rt-crashtar.html

Thanks in advance,
Pedro Ribeiro

* Re: Using -rt and TuxOnIce at the same time
@ 2009-11-03 22:39 ` Ng Oon-Ee
From: Ng Oon-Ee @ 2009-11-03 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Ribeiro; +Cc: linux-rt-users

On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 14:40 +0000, Pedro Ribeiro wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm interested in using both the -rt patchset and the TuxOnIce for hibernation.
> If you're not aware, TuxOnIce is a patch to enable "proper"
> hibernation in Linux, IMO much superior to the one provided by the
> base kernel.
>
> Anyway, there is a collision in fork.c which is easily solvable, but
> apart from that the patches don't collide. However, when I try to
> hibernate the computer just hangs up. I brought this up on the
> TuxOnIce mailing list and the main developer told me to contact you
> first. He also told me that we would like to work with you to solve
> this problem, since TOX is also  going to be slowly integrated in the
> mainline kernel over time.
>
> The problem is that the computer hangs and I have no way to capture
> the output. The only thing I could do was to take some photos of the
> screen. The first photo is what appears immediately after the
> beggining of the hibernation process. After a few seconds, a rapid
> succession of text appears and it captured partially on the second
> (crappy) photo of the screen. On the 3rd photo shows how the system
> stays indefinitely, and must be restarted by pressing the power button
> for 3 secs.
>
> I know the material I provided is a bit crap, but please let me know
> how can I help you.
>
> The zipped file containing the photos is here
> http://www.2shared.com/file/8900964/61ee7898/rt-crashtar.html
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Pedro Ribeiro

Hi, I do have RT and ToI working together on Arch Linux here. Do you by
any chance use an nVidia card? Your issue sounds like an issue with
hibernating with stock nVidia drivers without the ToI workarounds... You
need to add "procsetting extra_pages_allowance 7500" to common.conf or
something like that.

I know I did a single successful hibernate and restart with my RT and
ToI hybrid (am currently using BFS/ToI for daily use) for testing
purposes, so it does work, for me at least.

* Re: Using -rt and TuxOnIce at the same time
@ 2009-11-03 22:45   ` Pedro Ribeiro
From: Pedro Ribeiro @ 2009-11-03 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ng Oon-Ee; +Cc: linux-rt-users

Hi,
are you using the 31.4-rt14 kernel? Because I had it working before
with the 29.4-rt22!

To answer your question, I have a Intel X4500 integrated video card...
so no nVidia drivers here.

Pedro

@ 2009-11-03 22:56     ` Ng Oon-Ee
From: Ng Oon-Ee @ 2009-11-03 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Ribeiro; +Cc: linux-rt-users

Please bottom-post when posting to a ML. Fixed your mail for this.

On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 22:45 +0000, Pedro Ribeiro wrote:
> 2009/11/3 Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee@gmail.com>:
> > On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 14:40 +0000, Pedro Ribeiro wrote:
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> I'm interested in using both the -rt patchset and the TuxOnIce for hibernation.
> >> If you're not aware, TuxOnIce is a patch to enable "proper"
> >> hibernation in Linux, IMO much superior to the one provided by the
> >> base kernel.
> >>
> >> Anyway, there is a collision in fork.c which is easily solvable, but
> >> apart from that the patches don't collide. However, when I try to
> >> hibernate the computer just hangs up. I brought this up on the
> >> TuxOnIce mailing list and the main developer told me to contact you
> >> first. He also told me that we would like to work with you to solve
> >> this problem, since TOX is also  going to be slowly integrated in the
> >> mainline kernel over time.
> >>
> >> The problem is that the computer hangs and I have no way to capture
> >> the output. The only thing I could do was to take some photos of the
> >> screen. The first photo is what appears immediately after the
> >> beggining of the hibernation process. After a few seconds, a rapid
> >> succession of text appears and it captured partially on the second
> >> (crappy) photo of the screen. On the 3rd photo shows how the system
> >> stays indefinitely, and must be restarted by pressing the power button
> >> for 3 secs.
> >>
> >> I know the material I provided is a bit crap, but please let me know
> >> how can I help you.
> >>
> >> The zipped file containing the photos is here
> >> http://www.2shared.com/file/8900964/61ee7898/rt-crashtar.html
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >> Pedro Ribeiro
> >
> > Hi, I do have RT and ToI working together on Arch Linux here. Do you by
> > any chance use an nVidia card? Your issue sounds like an issue with
> > hibernating with stock nVidia drivers without the ToI workarounds... You
> > need to add "procsetting extra_pages_allowance 7500" to common.conf or
> > something like that.
> >
> > I know I did a single successful hibernate and restart with my RT and
> > ToI hybrid (am currently using BFS/ToI for daily use) for testing
> > purposes, so it does work, for me at least.
> Hi,
> are you using the 31.4-rt14 kernel? Because I had it working before
> with the 29.4-rt22!
>
> To answer your question, I have a Intel X4500 integrated video card...
> so no nVidia drivers here.
>
> Pedro

I'm using 2.6.31.4-rt14. I would still look at your graphics card for
issues, honestly. Have you tried a 'dry-run' hibernate, or are you just
doing a 'force' from the gnome menus?

In any case, this is (probably) not rt-related, so unless you know that
having a ToI only kernel works and the only difference is RT (you may
have tested this already, you haven't specifically mentioned it though)
it doesn't yet belong on this ML.

* Re: Using -rt and TuxOnIce at the same time
@ 2009-11-03 23:14       ` Pedro Ribeiro
From: Pedro Ribeiro @ 2009-11-03 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ng Oon-Ee; +Cc: linux-rt-users

2009/11/3 Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee@gmail.com>:
> Please bottom-post when posting to a ML. Fixed your mail for this.
>
> On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 22:45 +0000, Pedro Ribeiro wrote:

>> > Hi, I do have RT and ToI working together on Arch Linux here. Do you by
>> > any chance use an nVidia card? Your issue sounds like an issue with
>> > hibernating with stock nVidia drivers without the ToI workarounds... You
>> > need to add "procsetting extra_pages_allowance 7500" to common.conf or
>> > something like that.
>> >
>> > I know I did a single successful hibernate and restart with my RT and
>> > ToI hybrid (am currently using BFS/ToI for daily use) for testing
>> > purposes, so it does work, for me at least.
>> Hi,
>> are you using the 31.4-rt14 kernel? Because I had it working before
>> with the 29.4-rt22!
>>
>> To answer your question, I have a Intel X4500 integrated video card...
>> so no nVidia drivers here.
>>
>> Pedro
>
> I'm using 2.6.31.4-rt14. I would still look at your graphics card for
> issues, honestly. Have you tried a 'dry-run' hibernate, or are you just
> doing a 'force' from the gnome menus?
>
> In any case, this is (probably) not rt-related, so unless you know that
> having a ToI only kernel works and the only difference is RT (you may
> have tested this already, you haven't specifically mentioned it though)
> it doesn't yet belong on this ML.

Yes the ToI works by itself, but the graphics card does have some
issues when restoring - X doesn't restore correctly, I have to change
to a VT and back to X after resume for it to restore properly - but
apart from this the hibernate/resume cycle is fine with ToI alone.

Pedro

* Re: Using -rt and TuxOnIce at the same time
@ 2009-11-03 23:32         ` Ng Oon-Ee
From: Ng Oon-Ee @ 2009-11-03 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Ribeiro; +Cc: linux-rt-users

On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 23:14 +0000, Pedro Ribeiro wrote:
> 2009/11/3 Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee@gmail.com>:
> > Please bottom-post when posting to a ML. Fixed your mail for this.

> >> Hi,
> >> are you using the 31.4-rt14 kernel? Because I had it working before
> >> with the 29.4-rt22!
> >>
> >> To answer your question, I have a Intel X4500 integrated video card...
> >> so no nVidia drivers here.
> >>
> >> Pedro
> >
> > I'm using 2.6.31.4-rt14. I would still look at your graphics card for
> > issues, honestly. Have you tried a 'dry-run' hibernate, or are you just
> > doing a 'force' from the gnome menus?
> >
> > In any case, this is (probably) not rt-related, so unless you know that
> > having a ToI only kernel works and the only difference is RT (you may
> > have tested this already, you haven't specifically mentioned it though)
> > it doesn't yet belong on this ML.
> >

> Yes the ToI works by itself, but the graphics card does have some
> issues when restoring - X doesn't restore correctly, I have to change
> to a VT and back to X after resume for it to restore properly - but
> apart from this the hibernate/resume cycle is fine with ToI alone.
>
> Pedro

I see. That should not be happening, may I suggest that you try to get
to the bottom of that issue first? On my (nvidia) system it just resumes
directly to my working environment, with compiz and all.

Again, considering resuming is in the realms of ToI's influence, you
won't be getting much help here I believe.

* Re: Using -rt and TuxOnIce at the same time
@ 2009-11-03 23:43           ` Pedro Ribeiro
From: Pedro Ribeiro @ 2009-11-03 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ng Oon-Ee; +Cc: linux-rt-users

2009/11/3 Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 23:14 +0000, Pedro Ribeiro wrote:
>> 2009/11/3 Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee@gmail.com>:
>> > Please bottom-post when posting to a ML. Fixed your mail for this.

>> > I'm using 2.6.31.4-rt14. I would still look at your graphics card for
>> > issues, honestly. Have you tried a 'dry-run' hibernate, or are you just
>> > doing a 'force' from the gnome menus?
>> >
>> > In any case, this is (probably) not rt-related, so unless you know that
>> > having a ToI only kernel works and the only difference is RT (you may
>> > have tested this already, you haven't specifically mentioned it though)
>> > it doesn't yet belong on this ML.
>> >

>> Yes the ToI works by itself, but the graphics card does have some
>> issues when restoring - X doesn't restore correctly, I have to change
>> to a VT and back to X after resume for it to restore properly - but
>> apart from this the hibernate/resume cycle is fine with ToI alone.
>>
>> Pedro
>
> I see. That should not be happening, may I suggest that you try to get
> to the bottom of that issue first? On my (nvidia) system it just resumes
> directly to my working environment, with compiz and all.
>
> Again, considering resuming is in the realms of ToI's influence, you
> won't be getting much help here I believe.

Actually the ToI developer sent me here - he told me this should be an rt issue.

But I think you are right - the fact is that the i915 drivers (for my
graphics card) are pretty immature and in constant development, and it
must be their fault. I'll try to sort this out and I'll report any
conclusions (or not) back to here.

Thanks.