* simplest use of SSTATE_MIRRORS?
@ 2021-09-27 16:13 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2021-09-27 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

  colleague asked me how SSTATE_MIRRORS worked, so i had to check,
followed the section here:

http://docs.yoctoproject.org/overview-manual/concepts.html#shared-state-cache

and in one of own builds, i moved the entire sstate-cache directory
to ~/SSTATE as is, then added the following to my site.conf:

SSTATE_MIRRORS = " \
        file://.\* file:///home/rpjday/SSTATE/PATH \
"

  then i removed all of /tmp in my current build, and re-ran my
bitbake command, but it seems to be doing all the standard fetching
and unpacking and so on. what clearly trivial step have i overlooked?

rday

p.s. i checked with "bitbake -e" that that variable seems to have the
correct value. what silliness have i done?

* Re: [OE-core] simplest use of SSTATE_MIRRORS?
@ 2021-09-27 19:31 ` Andre McCurdy
From: Andre McCurdy @ 2021-09-27 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 9:13 AM Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

>   colleague asked me how SSTATE_MIRRORS worked, so i had to check,
> followed the section here:
>
> http://docs.yoctoproject.org/overview-manual/concepts.html#shared-state-cache
>
> and in one of own builds, i moved the entire sstate-cache directory
> to ~/SSTATE as is, then added the following to my site.conf:
>
> SSTATE_MIRRORS = " \
>         file://.\* file:///home/rpjday/SSTATE/PATH \
> "

The example in local.conf.sample uses file://.* rather than file://.\*

@ 2021-09-27 19:47   ` rpjday
From: rpjday @ 2021-09-27 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

Quoting Andre McCurdy <armccurdy@gmail.com>:

> On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 9:13 AM Robert P. J. Day
> <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>>
>>   colleague asked me how SSTATE_MIRRORS worked, so i had to check,
>> followed the section here:
>>
>> http://docs.yoctoproject.org/overview-manual/concepts.html#shared-state-cache
>>
>> and in one of own builds, i moved the entire sstate-cache directory
>> to ~/SSTATE as is, then added the following to my site.conf:
>>
>> SSTATE_MIRRORS = " \
>>         file://.\* file:///home/rpjday/SSTATE/PATH \
>> "
>
> The example in local.conf.sample uses file://.* rather than file://.\*

   i noticed that a bit later, made the change and all good. so i guess
i'll submit a patch for the manual.

rday

* Re: [OE-core] simplest use of SSTATE_MIRRORS?
@ 2021-09-28 10:26 ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2021-09-28 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 2021-09-27 at 12:13 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   colleague asked me how SSTATE_MIRRORS worked, so i had to check,
> followed the section here:
>
> http://docs.yoctoproject.org/overview-manual/concepts.html#shared-state-cache
>
> and in one of own builds, i moved the entire sstate-cache directory
> to ~/SSTATE as is, then added the following to my site.conf:
>
> SSTATE_MIRRORS = " \
>         file://.\* file:///home/rpjday/SSTATE/PATH \
> "
>
>   then i removed all of /tmp in my current build, and re-ran my
> bitbake command, but it seems to be doing all the standard fetching
> and unpacking and so on. what clearly trivial step have i overlooked?
>
> rday
>
> p.s. i checked with "bitbake -e" that that variable seems to have the
> correct value. what silliness have i done?

The other gotcha with this now is hash equivalence. If that is active, you need
both the sstate data and hash equivalence data that match.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: [OE-core] simplest use of SSTATE_MIRRORS?
@ 2021-09-28 10:52   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2021-09-28 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 28 Sep 2021, Richard Purdie wrote:

> On Mon, 2021-09-27 at 12:13 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   colleague asked me how SSTATE_MIRRORS worked, so i had to check,
> > followed the section here:
> >
> > http://docs.yoctoproject.org/overview-manual/concepts.html#shared-state-cache
> >
> > and in one of own builds, i moved the entire sstate-cache directory
> > to ~/SSTATE as is, then added the following to my site.conf:
> >
> > SSTATE_MIRRORS = " \
> >         file://.\* file:///home/rpjday/SSTATE/PATH \
> > "
> >
> >   then i removed all of /tmp in my current build, and re-ran my
> > bitbake command, but it seems to be doing all the standard fetching
> > and unpacking and so on. what clearly trivial step have i overlooked?
> >
> > rday
> >
> > p.s. i checked with "bitbake -e" that that variable seems to have the
> > correct value. what silliness have i done?
>
> The other gotcha with this now is hash equivalence. If that is active, you need
> both the sstate data and hash equivalence data that match.

  i did notice that in the sstate section in the manual, and was
digging into it as we speak.

rday