* Kernel start code
@ 2010-10-06 22:58 Sri Ram Vemulpali
From: Sri Ram Vemulpali @ 2010-10-06 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kernel-newbies, Linux-rt-users

Hi all,

  Can anyone, please help me on pointing to kernel boot code after
grubs loads the kernel and transfers control to it.
  I want in which files this resides, location. Any explanation on the
code or any link would be helpful to me.
  I know this is kind of lousy question, but entry.S is where I looked
at. It is overwhelming for me where to start in that file.
  Thanks in advance.

Sri.

* Re: Kernel start code
@ 2010-10-06 23:19 ` Pavan Kandepet
From: Pavan Kandepet @ 2010-10-06 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sri Ram Vemulpali; +Cc: Kernel-newbies, Linux-rt-users

Embedded Linux primer has a good introduction to
kernel bootup (chapter 5, kernel initialization). You can
try that.
Regards,
Pavan

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 3:58 PM, Sri Ram Vemulpali
<sri.ram.gmu06@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  Can anyone, please help me on pointing to kernel boot code after
> grubs loads the kernel and transfers control to it.
>  I want in which files this resides, location. Any explanation on the
> code or any link would be helpful to me.
>  I know this is kind of lousy question, but entry.S is where I looked
> at. It is overwhelming for me where to start in that file.
>  Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Sri.

* Re: Kernel start code
@ 2010-10-07  4:39   ` Hemanth Kumar
From: Hemanth Kumar @ 2010-10-07  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sri Ram Vemulpali, Pavan Kandepet; +Cc: Kernel-newbies, Linux-rt-users

Hi

      This may help you pretty old,
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux-i386-Boot-Code-HOWTO/

Embedded Linux primer has a good introduction to
kernel bootup (chapter 5, kernel initialization). You can
try that.
Regards,
Pavan

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 3:58 PM, Sri Ram Vemulpali
<sri.ram.gmu06@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  Can anyone, please help me on pointing to kernel boot code after
> grubs loads the kernel and transfers control to it.
>  I want in which files this resides, location. Any explanation on the
> code or any link would be helpful to me.
>  I know this is kind of lousy question, but entry.S is where I looked
> at. It is overwhelming for me where to start in that file.
>  Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Sri.

* Re: Kernel start code
@ 2010-10-12 10:22 ` Michal Sojka
From: Michal Sojka @ 2010-10-12 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sri Ram Vemulpali, Kernel-newbies, Linux-rt-users

On Wed, 06 Oct 2010, Sri Ram Vemulpali wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   Can anyone, please help me on pointing to kernel boot code after
> grubs loads the kernel and transfers control to it.
>   I want in which files this resides, location. Any explanation on the
> code or any link would be helpful to me.
>   I know this is kind of lousy question, but entry.S is where I looked
> at. It is overwhelming for me where to start in that file.

Hi,

I'guess you are interested in x86 architecture. The boot code of x86 is
the most complex one. Look at Documentation/x86/boot.txt. You can see
what the kernel does during early boot by running it under qemu and
attaching a debuger.

-Michal