* How to switch yocto INIT_MANAGER from systemd to sysvinit #dunfell
@ 2021-05-27 22:04 sayinswapna
From: sayinswapna @ 2021-05-27 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hello Yocto team:

I just started with yocto and would like to know the process for switching the init manager from systemd to sysvinit.

I tried this options in config file
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_init_manager = "busybox"
PREFERRED_PROVIDER_udev = "sysvinit"
PREFERRED_PROVIDER_udev-utils = "sysvinit"
DISTRO_FEATURES_BACKFILL_CONSIDERED = "sysvinit"
DEFAULT_DISTRO_FEATURES += " sysvinit"

I see a warning when building my machine:

No recipe for target:
/recipes-core/sysvinit/sysvinit_2.88dsf.bbappend

When I run this build on my target it still shows me systemd init manager...

Not sure if I am missing any options.
Could you please let me know if there are any pointers I can refer to?

Thanks,
Priya

* Re: [yocto] How to switch yocto INIT_MANAGER from systemd to sysvinit #dunfell
@ 2021-05-27 22:12 ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2021-05-27 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sayinswapna; +Cc: yocto

On Thu, 27 May 2021, sayinswapna@gmail.com wrote:

> Hello Yocto team:
>
> I just started with yocto and would like to know the process for switching the init
> manager from systemd to sysvinit.
>
> I tried this options in config file
> VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_init_manager = "busybox"
> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_udev = "sysvinit"
> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_udev-utils = "sysvinit"
> DISTRO_FEATURES_BACKFILL_CONSIDERED = "sysvinit"
> DEFAULT_DISTRO_FEATURES += " sysvinit"

  as i recall, all of the above can be replaced by a single assignment
to the INIT_MANAGER variable.

rday

* Re: [yocto] How to switch yocto INIT_MANAGER from systemd to sysvinit #dunfell
@ 2021-05-27 23:24   ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2021-05-27 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day, sayinswapna; +Cc: yocto

On 5/27/21 3:12 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Thu, 27 May 2021, sayinswapna@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Hello Yocto team:
>>
>> I just started with yocto and would like to know the process for switching the init
>> manager from systemd to sysvinit.
>>
>> I tried this options in config file
>> VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_init_manager = "busybox"
>> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_udev = "sysvinit"
>> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_udev-utils = "sysvinit"
>> DISTRO_FEATURES_BACKFILL_CONSIDERED = "sysvinit"
>> DEFAULT_DISTRO_FEATURES += " sysvinit"
>
>    as i recall, all of the above can be replaced by a single assignment
> to the INIT_MANAGER variable.

it will depend on release, if you are on 3.0+ then yes single setting
will work, older releases would mean above is needed. see

https://docs.yoctoproject.org/ref-manual/migration-3.0.html?highlight=init_manager#init-system-selection

@ 2021-05-27 23:28 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2021-05-27 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sayinswapna, yocto

On 5/27/21 3:04 PM, sayinswapna@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello Yocto team:
>
> I just started with yocto and would like to know the process for
> switching the init manager from systemd to sysvinit.
>
> I tried this options in config file
> VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_init_manager = "busybox"
> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_udev = "sysvinit"
> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_udev-utils = "sysvinit"
> DISTRO_FEATURES_BACKFILL_CONSIDERED = "sysvinit"
> DEFAULT_DISTRO_FEATURES += " sysvinit"
>
> I see a warning when building my machine:
>
> No recipe for target:
> /recipes-core/sysvinit/sysvinit_2.88dsf.bbappend

Please find out which layer is adding this bbappend you could use

bitbake-layers show-appends sysvinit

It seems recipe version is newer perhaps and the bbappend is still made
for older recipe, these things happen when you mix release branches for
different layers.

@ 2021-05-28 10:39   ` Zoran
From: Zoran @ 2021-05-28 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Why do I (always) point out the obvious?

And I do need... Geniuses are not meant to fix The World to understand them!?

Geniuses should understand The World (and act properly)!

Extras to geniality, do you, YOCTO primes, think?
_______

Robert... If I am correct, i'm I?

Should you include in docs some examples??? Yes, U should!
As for an example fix:
poky/meta/conf/distro/include/init-manager-*.con, NOT
conf/distro/include/init-manager-*.conf

(full path is more explicit, isn't it?)

And some local.conf examples/snippets (since all descriptions are here
and there very dry):

## Add systemd service
INIT_MANAGER = "systemd"
## DISTRO_FEATURES_append = " systemd"
## DISTRO_FEATURES_BACKFILL_CONSIDERED += "sysvinit"
## VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_init_manager = "systemd"
## VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_dev_manager = "systemd"
## VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_initscripts = ""

Where INIT_MANAGER = "systemd" replaces all commented commands below....

My two cent advice,
Zee
_______

@ 2021-05-28 11:47   ` sayinswapna
From: sayinswapna @ 2021-05-28 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto

Thanks Robert and Raj!!

I am using Yocto 3.1 Dunfell release.

You are right about the .bbappend file. Changed the name in the overlay to
new-ver.bbappend  and no longer see the warning.

Tried setting  INIT_MANAGER  = " sysvinit" in build/conf/local.conf but
looks like generated rootfs has init file pointing to init ->
../lib/systemd/systemd

Priya.

@ 2021-05-28 12:28     ` Zoran
From: Zoran @ 2021-05-28 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Tried setting  INIT_MANAGER  = " sysvinit" in build/conf/local.conf

Is it INIT_MANAGER  = " sysvinit" , or INIT_MANAGER  = "sysvinit" (no
blank at the beginning)?

Thank you,
Zee
_______

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 1:47 PM Swapna Nannapaneni

@ 2021-05-28 12:45       ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2021-05-28 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 28 May 2021, Zoran wrote:

> > Tried setting  INIT_MANAGER  = " sysvinit" in build/conf/local.conf
>
> Is it INIT_MANAGER  = " sysvinit" , or INIT_MANAGER  = "sysvinit" (no
> blank at the beginning)?
>
> Thank you,
> Zee

  you don't want the leading space.

rday

* Re: [yocto] How to switch yocto INIT_MANAGER from systemd to sysvinit #dunfell
@ 2021-05-28 12:55         ` Zoran
From: Zoran @ 2021-05-28 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> you don't want the leading space.

I got the idea from reading
https://docs.yoctoproject.org/ref-manual/migration-3.0.html?highlight=init_manager#init-system-selection

But this is exactly why we need some explicit examples. :-)

Zee
_______

@ 2021-05-28 13:02           ` Swapna Nannapaneni
From: Swapna Nannapaneni @ 2021-05-28 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Typo. No leading space  INIT_MANAGER = "sysvinit".

Thanks,
Priya.

@ 2021-05-31  6:04             ` Zoran
From: Zoran @ 2021-05-31  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

What about the following:
https://docs.yoctoproject.org/ref-manual/migration-3.0.html?highlight=init_manager#init-system-selection

To be enhanced/added with the following:
https://github.com/ZoranStojsavljevic/bbb-yocto/blob/master/bbb-releases/bbb-hardknott/README.md

Best Regards,
Zee
_______

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 3:02 PM Swapna Nannapaneni

@ 2021-06-02  1:16               ` Swapna Nannapaneni
From: Swapna Nannapaneni @ 2021-06-02  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)