* Suggested commit orden for patchsets?
@ 2019-10-21  4:25 Javier Arias
From: Javier Arias @ 2019-10-21  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel

Hello everyone,

I have a question related to the commit order, as I received feedback about
how a commit order makes more sense for patchsets, but when I start finding
an specific issue the next commits in the patchset are usually just to fix
warnings displayed by checkpatch after the first fix, so I don't feel like
changing the commit order would be productive for me.

So my question are:
Is there a suggested commit order for patchsets even if this is the case?
is it enough if I describe the reason why I used certain commit order in
the cover letter?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Suggested commit orden for patchsets?
@ 2019-10-21  5:19 ` Vaishali Thakkar
From: Vaishali Thakkar @ 2019-10-21  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Javier Arias; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 9:55 AM Javier Arias <jarias.linux@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,

Hi Javier,

> I have a question related to the commit order, as I received feedback about how a commit order makes more sense for patchsets, but when I start finding an specific issue the next commits in the patchset are usually just to fix warnings displayed by checkpatch after the first fix, so I don't feel like changing the commit order would be productive for me.

I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly but your
first fix shouldn't introduce any new warnings. Every fix you
do or every commit you create should not have any
checkpatch warnings.

Also, can you possibly provide a link to which feedback
you're talking about here so that people can check it
and give you suggestions accordingly for your confusion.

@ 2019-10-21 11:26   ` Vaishali Thakkar
From: Vaishali Thakkar @ 2019-10-21 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Javier Arias; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 10:49 AM Vaishali Thakkar
<vthakkar@vaishalithakkar.in> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 9:55 AM Javier Arias <jarias.linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello everyone,
>
> Hi Javier,
>
> > I have a question related to the commit order, as I received feedback about how a commit order makes more sense for patchsets, but when I start finding an specific issue the next commits in the patchset are usually just to fix warnings displayed by checkpatch after the first fix, so I don't feel like changing the commit order would be productive for me.
>
> I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly but your
> first fix shouldn't introduce any new warnings. Every fix you
> do or every commit you create should not have any
> checkpatch warnings.
>
> Also, can you possibly provide a link to which feedback
> you're talking about here so that people can check it
> and give you suggestions accordingly for your confusion.

Also, if you're looking for a detailed document on the ordering
of commits based on the type of fix, you can find it here:

https://kernelnewbies.org/PatchPhilosophy#How_to_break_up_changes

@ 2019-10-25  5:52   ` Javier Arias
From: Javier Arias @ 2019-10-25  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel