* A question on Linux SMP and cache coherency
@ 2003-01-23 23:21 Adam Kiepul
From: Adam Kiepul @ 2003-01-23 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'linux-mips@linux-mips.org'

	Hi,

	I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me whether Hardware-maintained cache coherency between processors is required for Linux SMP operation.
	Thank you very much,

	Adam Kiepul

* Re: A question on Linux SMP and cache coherency
@ 2003-01-23 23:32 ` Keith Owens
From: Keith Owens @ 2003-01-23 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Kiepul; +Cc: 'linux-mips@linux-mips.org'

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:21:01 -0800,
Adam Kiepul <Adam_Kiepul@pmc-sierra.com> wrote:
>	I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me whether Hardware-maintained cache coherency between processors is required for Linux SMP operation.

http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0007.3/1220.html

* Re: A question on Linux SMP and cache coherency
@ 2003-01-24 14:31 ` Ralf Baechle
From: Ralf Baechle @ 2003-01-24 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Kiepul; +Cc: 'linux-mips@linux-mips.org'

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 03:17:25PM -0800, Adam Kiepul wrote:

> I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me whether
> Hardware-maintained cache coherency between processors is required for
> Linux SMP operation.

(Sending just one copy of a posting is sufficient ...)

There have been imho fairly ridiculous attempts at constructing dual-core
SMPs for the use with Linux/MIPS by changing the kernel to 16kB page
size [1] and using write through-caches plus some extra hacks.  Needless
to say the solution is about as stupid as something can be and is probably
going to perform worse than a uniprocessor ...

  Ralf

[1] good idea for other reasons but completly stupid in this context

* A question on Linux SMP and cache coherency
@ 2003-01-23 23:17 Adam Kiepul