* QEMU VM crashes when enabling KVM
@ 2019-12-11 21:23 Wayne Li
From: Wayne Li @ 2019-12-11 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Dear QEMU list members,

So we developed a virtual machine that that runs on QEMU.  The virtual
machine emulates a certain piece of equipment running on a PowerPC 7457
processor.  And we are running the virtual machine on a T4240-RDB which as
a PowerPC e6500 processor.  I can't give any more details than that as this
project has military applications.

The problem I'm having right now is when I use the -enable-kvm option when
starting the virtual machine, the virtual machine crashes like so:

kvm error: missing PVR setting capability
kvm_init_vcpu failed: Function not implemented
common_qemu_exit() has been called

Now I am fairly sure KVM is actually enabled on the system.  Finding that
out was another story that spanned a couple of months.  But long story
short, lsmod doesn't show that the KVM kernel module is running.  But
that's because KVM is built-in and it can't actually be built as a loadable
kernel module in this particular system.

So I'm not really sure what could be the problem.  Though I was thinking if
I understood the error better that might help?  Following the code I see
that the "Missing PVR setting capability." is called when a variable called
"cap_segstate" is 0:

if (!cap_segstate) {
            fprintf(stderr, "kvm error: missing PVR setting capability\n");
            return -ENOSYS;
}

And the cap_segstate variable is set by the following function:

cap_segstate = kvm_check_extension(s, KVM_CAP_PPC_SEGSTATE);

From there I'm pretty lost; I simply don't understand what any of these
terms mean.  Do any of you guys know what PVR setting capability,
cap_segstate, or KVM_CAP_PPC_SEGSTATE mean?  Do I have to set up any kind
of communication between my virtual machine and KVM?  Any of you guys know
what's going on here?  I'm just pretty lost right now haha.

-Thanks, Wayne Li