* RE: smokey's fork tests hangs with glibc 2.28+ ?
@ 2019-03-11 13:40 Lange Norbert
From: Lange Norbert @ 2019-03-11 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, Xenomai (xenomai@xenomai.org)

Well, swapping out glibc with 2.27 removes the issue, so it has been introduced afterwards,
the current buildroot will use 2.28 so you should be able to build yourself a reproducer that way.
I will also attach a prebuilt rootfs once the clean rebuild is done.

Unfortunately the smokey suite is not available with the Mercury core, might be easier to isolate that way.

In the future, maybe some battletested glibc versions could be recommended for xenomai?

________________________________

This message and any attachments are solely for the use of the intended recipients. They may contain privileged and/or confidential information or other information protected from disclosure. If you are not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you received this email in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this email and any attachment is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the message and any attachment from your system.

ANDRITZ HYDRO GmbH

Rechtsform/ Legal form: Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung / Corporation

Firmensitz/ Registered seat: Wien

Firmenbuchgericht/ Court of registry: Handelsgericht Wien

Firmenbuchnummer/ Company registration: FN 61833 g

DVR: 0605077

UID-Nr.: ATU14756806

Thank You
________________________________

* Re: smokey's fork tests hangs with glibc 2.28+ ?
@ 2019-03-11 13:50 ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2019-03-11 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lange Norbert, Xenomai (xenomai@xenomai.org)

On 11.03.19 14:40, Lange Norbert wrote:
> Well, swapping out glibc with 2.27 removes the issue, so it has been introduced afterwards,
> the current buildroot will use 2.28 so you should be able to build yourself a reproducer that way.
> I will also attach a prebuilt rootfs once the clean rebuild is done.

Ok, thanks for narrowing that further down.

I just realized that buster (Debian 10) will use 2.28 as well. Will try that
baseline as well.

> Unfortunately the smokey suite is not available with the Mercury core, might be easier to isolate that way.
>
> In the future, maybe some battletested glibc versions could be recommended for xenomai?

Maintained distributions are generally a good choice. My plan is to define and
test reference images via https://gitlab.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai-images, but we
are not there yet.

Jan

* RE: smokey's fork tests hangs with glibc 2.28+ ?
@ 2019-03-11 14:08   ` Lange Norbert
From: Lange Norbert @ 2019-03-11 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, Xenomai (xenomai@xenomai.org)

Thats a rootfs which reproduces the issue. Identical setup, but glibc 2.27 will not reproduce.

From: Philippe Gerum @ 2019-03-11 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lange Norbert, Jan Kiszka, Xenomai (xenomai@xenomai.org)

On 3/11/19 3:08 PM, Lange Norbert via Xenomai wrote:
> Thats a rootfs which reproduces the issue. Identical setup, but glibc 2.27 will not reproduce.

The issue was introduced by [1], which already triggered a bug in the
glibc test suite [2]. In short, calling pthread_atfork() like
__cobalt_init() does over the context of a fork handler is now invalid,
because the glibc now holds the internal atfork_lock while running the
fork handlers. The cobalt fork handler needs to be registered earlier,
outside of such context.

This change was introduced between glibc-2.27.9000 and glibc-2.28.

[1] git://sourceware.org/git/glibc.git, 27761a104
[2] git://sourceware.org/git/glibc.git, 669ff911e

--
Philippe.

* RE: smokey's fork tests hangs with glibc 2.28+ ?
@ 2019-03-11 14:41       ` Lange Norbert
From: Lange Norbert @ 2019-03-11 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Gerum, Jan Kiszka, Xenomai (xenomai@xenomai.org)

Thanks Phillipe,

assume just for a moment that I know little of the issues,
is there any harm using glibc 2.28 for now, given that I don’t
run into those deadlocks or could there be some more
subtile breakage involved?

Norbert

________________________________

@ 2019-03-11 15:15       ` Lange Norbert
From: Lange Norbert @ 2019-03-11 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Gerum, Jan Kiszka, Xenomai (xenomai@xenomai.org)

________________________________

@ 2019-03-12  8:15         ` Philippe Gerum
From: Philippe Gerum @ 2019-03-12  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lange Norbert, Jan Kiszka, Xenomai (xenomai@xenomai.org)

On 3/11/19 3:41 PM, Lange Norbert wrote:
> Thanks Phillipe,
>
> assume just for a moment that I know little of the issues,
> is there any harm using glibc 2.28 for now, given that I don’t
> run into those deadlocks or could there be some more
> subtile breakage involved?

I don't know. This said, this question includes its own answer: 2.28 is
a recent release which few people have already used in a Xenomai
context, so any obvious bug we did not find yet might look subtle at
first glance.

--
Philippe.