* How to statically set J1939 addresses and names
@ 2021-06-08 15:27 Rémy DZIEMIASZKO
From: Rémy DZIEMIASZKO @ 2021-06-08 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-can

Hello,

I need that my applications do not care about J1939 node addresses but
directly bind / connect to socket based on node name only and the
kernel takes care of the conversion to addresses.

I know this is possible if addresses are dynamically assigned through
the Address Claiming protocol that is implemented in the kernel. The
kernel keeps track of its own address and name as well as the
addresses and names of other ECUs on the network and convert name to
adresse when requested by the applications.

But I don't want to use the Address Claiming protocol. I want to
statically set all addresses and names.

Is there a way to assign J1939 addresses and names to a CAN interface
without using the J1939 address claim protocol?

I found in old j1939 kernel documentation something like
ip addr add dev canX j1939 0xXX
ip addr add dev canX j1939 name 0xXX
See https://www.spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg162350.html

But in the latest j1939 kernel documentation I do not find any
reference to these commands.

Thanks for your help
--
Rémy Dziemiaszko