* Can't get git to stop outputting to StdErr
@ 2016-10-28 20:31 Scott R. Chamberlain
From: Scott R. Chamberlain @ 2016-10-28 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

I am working on some build scripts that get run on TFS. During the build process I need to check in the changes that where done during the build process (A set of binaries other projects depend on).

I would really like to leave the option "Fail on Standard Error" enabled for the script in TFS, however my push keeps writing to standard error even though I told it not to.

The line I do is:

    git push -q binaryRepo HEAD:"$Env:BUILD_SOURCEBRANCH"

But I get the following in my log after the build

    2016-10-28T20:05:32.3179442Z ##[error]remote:
    remote: Analyzing objects... (3/3) (657 ms)
    remote: Storing packfile... done (40 ms)
    remote: Storing index... done (42 ms)

    2016-10-28T20:05:32.3209423Z Done
    2016-10-28T20:05:32.4019436Z ##[error]Process completed with exit code 0 and had 1 error(s) written to the error stream.
    2016-10-28T20:05:32.4029436Z ##[debug]System.Exception: Process completed with exit code 0 and had 1 error(s) written to the error stream.

Why am I still getting output to standard error when I included the `-q` switch?

For reference, `git version` reports `2.10.0.windows.1` and HEAD is a detached HEAD.

Scott Chamberlain
Software Engineer
ImproMed, LLC

--
Rely On Us.
ImproMed LLC

* Re: Can't get git to stop outputting to StdErr
@ 2016-10-28 21:06 ` Junio C Hamano
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2016-10-28 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott R. Chamberlain; +Cc: git

"Scott R. Chamberlain" <srchamberlain@impromed.com> writes:

> The line I do is:
>
>     git push -q binaryRepo HEAD:"$Env:BUILD_SOURCEBRANCH"

This would

 (1) squelch the output from the sending side (i.e. local), and

 (2) ask "quiet" to the receiving side (i.e. remote), if they know
     how to be quiet.

> But I get the following in my log after the build
>
>     2016-10-28T20:05:32.3179442Z ##[error]remote:
>     remote: Analyzing objects... (3/3) (657 ms)
>     remote: Storing packfile... done (40 ms)
>     remote: Storing index... done (42 ms)

These three lines prefixed with "remote:" are coming from the
software that runs on the remote machine that accepts your push, but
the way it says these three things do not look familiar to me.  Is
it possible that the remote machine is running a Git server that is
not ours, which lacks the support for "quiet" capability?  If that
is the case, the symptom is understandable.

A quick archive search tells me that you are seeing the same issue
as this one:

https://public-inbox.org/git/20160516133731.GA6903@sigill.intra.peff.net/

where the concluding remark, to which I agree, is:

    The server side here is clearly not stock git, from the content
    of those progress messages (some googling shows it looks like
    whatever visualstudio.com is running, but I don't know what that
    is). So either the server implementation doesn't support the
    "quiet" protocol extension, or it is ignoring it. It might be
    worth filing a bug with them.

* RE: Can't get git to stop outputting to StdErr
@ 2016-10-28 21:08   ` Scott R. Chamberlain
From: Scott R. Chamberlain @ 2016-10-28 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Junio C Hamano; +Cc: git

This is talking to a visualstudio.com git repo. I will file a bug with them.

Scott Chamberlain
Software Engineer
ImproMed, LLC
(800) 925-7171
www.impromed.com

@ 2016-12-19 14:56   ` Scott R. Chamberlain
From: Scott R. Chamberlain @ 2016-12-19 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Junio C Hamano; +Cc: git

Microsoft fixed their git repo implementation to no longer cause this problem.

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/3109654/git-host-on-visualstudio-com-does-not-respect-the-q-flag-for-pushes

Scott Chamberlain
Software Engineer
ImproMed, LLC