* add a -dev package to SDK (in sysroot)
@ 2020-09-11 10:01 Steve
From: Steve @ 2020-09-11 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: poky

I try to add websocketpp-dev to my SDK, but fail.

I did a

IMAGE_INSTALL = "... websocketpp ..."

and to get the dev-package into SDK:

TOOLCHAIN_TARGET_TASK_append = websocketpp-dev"

The result is an error in

bitbake .... -c populate_sdk

Unable to install packages. ...

Problem 1: Nothing provides websocketpp = 0.8.1-r0 needed by
websocketpp-dev-0.8.1-r0...

Solution: so not ask to install a package providing websocketpp-dev

If I see this right this approach works for other dev-Packages like curl
and curlpp, but doesn't seem to work for websocketpp. What am I doing
wrong? Where is the bug? What is the trick?

Somewhere I have read that just creating the SDK by -c populate_sdk is
adding *-dev packages to sysroot in SDK, but this is definitely not true
for all packages.

Thanks for any help!

PS: I can see in deploy that package websocketpp-dev with all the
/usr/include/websocket/...) has been created.

* Re: [poky] add a -dev package to SDK (in sysroot)
@ 2020-09-11 12:22 ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2020-09-11 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve, poky

On Fri, 2020-09-11 at 12:01 +0200, Steve wrote:
> I try to add websocketpp-dev to my SDK, but fail.
>
> I did a
>
> IMAGE_INSTALL = "... websocketpp ..."
>
> and to get the dev-package into SDK:
>
> TOOLCHAIN_TARGET_TASK_append = websocketpp-dev"
>
> The result is an error in
>
> bitbake .... -c populate_sdk
>
> Unable to install packages. ...
>
> Problem 1: Nothing provides websocketpp = 0.8.1-r0 needed by
> websocketpp-dev-0.8.1-r0...
>
> Solution: so not ask to install a package providing websocketpp-dev
>

> If I see this right this approach works for other dev-Packages like curl
> and curlpp, but doesn't seem to work for websocketpp. What am I doing
> wrong? Where is the bug? What is the trick?
>
> Somewhere I have read that just creating the SDK by -c populate_sdk is
> adding *-dev packages to sysroot in SDK, but this is definitely not true
> for all packages.
>
> Thanks for any help!
>

> PS: I can see in deploy that package websocketpp-dev with all the
> /usr/include/websocket/...) has been created.

I suspect that websocketpp is an empty package and not being
generated?

If so, you either need to remove the dependency from websocketpp-dev on
websocketpp or generate an empty package.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: [poky] add a -dev package to SDK (in sysroot)
@ 2020-09-11 17:07   ` Steve
From: Steve @ 2020-09-11 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie, poky

On 11.09.20 14:22, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Fri, 2020-09-11 at 12:01 +0200, Steve wrote:
>> I try to add websocketpp-dev to my SDK, but fail.
>>
>> I did a
>>
>> IMAGE_INSTALL = "... websocketpp ..."
>>
>> and to get the dev-package into SDK:
>>
>> TOOLCHAIN_TARGET_TASK_append = websocketpp-dev"
>>
>> The result is an error in
>>
>> bitbake .... -c populate_sdk
>>
>> Unable to install packages. ...
>>
>> Problem 1: Nothing provides websocketpp = 0.8.1-r0 needed by
>> websocketpp-dev-0.8.1-r0...
>>
>> Solution: so not ask to install a package providing websocketpp-dev
>>

>> If I see this right this approach works for other dev-Packages like curl
>> and curlpp, but doesn't seem to work for websocketpp. What am I doing
>> wrong? Where is the bug? What is the trick?
>>
>> Somewhere I have read that just creating the SDK by -c populate_sdk is
>> adding *-dev packages to sysroot in SDK, but this is definitely not true
>> for all packages.
>>
>> Thanks for any help!
>>

>> PS: I can see in deploy that package websocketpp-dev with all the
>> /usr/include/websocket/...) has been created.
> I suspect that websocketpp is an empty package and not being
> generated?
>
> If so, you either need to remove the dependency from websocketpp-dev on
> websocketpp or generate an empty package.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard

Thanks Richard for leaving me not alone. Checked that. You are right,
there is no websocketpp package created ?!? There is just a empty -dbg
package, the wanted -dev-package and no websocketpp-package at all. Mh,
how is this to understand? Usually there is a package with a lib or
binary, a package with debug info and one with headers and stuff to
develop with. But just a dev-package? That is bizarre to me (a colleage
wanted to have this inside SDK, so no idea what to do with it).

Regarding your suggestions to solve it:  I just found the recipe for
websocketpp,
(meta-openembedded/meta-oe/recipes-support/websocketpp/websocketpp_0.8.1bb)
where is nothing mentioned about -dev and dependencies. (I can see your
eyes rolling, sorry for my ignorance - I just can guess there is some
inherent rule to build the dev).

Creating an empty package. No idea how to do so as there is already a bb
with this name So I ended up in cp and rename the empty -dbg package
from deploy/ipk folder in websocketpp_0.8.1.ipk, but that doesn't solve
the problem either. Can you or someone else give me a further hint?

Best regards and a nice weekend,

Steve

* Re: [poky] add a -dev package to SDK (in sysroot)
@ 2020-09-11 17:50     ` Peter Kjellerstedt
From: Peter Kjellerstedt @ 2020-09-11 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve, Richard Purdie, poky

You do not mention which version of OpenEmbedded you are using, but
my guess is that it is an older one. The fix for this problem was
integrated in commit 7cd26041, which is included with Dunfell and
later, by doing:

RDEPENDS_${PN}-dev = ""

Assuming you are using an older version of OpenEmbedded, you can add
the above to a websocketpp_%.bbappend file in one of your own layers,
alternatively you can add:

RDEPENDS_${PN}-dev_pn-websocketpp = ""

to your local.conf file.

//Peter

* Re: [poky] add a -dev package to SDK (in sysroot)
@ 2020-09-14 12:58       ` Steve
From: Steve @ 2020-09-14 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Kjellerstedt, Richard Purdie, poky

On 11.09.20 19:50, Peter Kjellerstedt wrote:
> [...]
Thanks Peter, you saved my day. This works well.

Best regards, Steve