From: "D. Herrendoerfer" <d.herrendoerfer@herrendoerfer.name>
To: netdev@vger.kernel.org
Subject: [RFC] bridge: MAC learning uevents
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 15:06:16 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello,

I'd like to start a discussion if it makes sense to add an optional feature

to the bridge MAC address learning code to generate kernel uevents for

every learned (added) and removed MAC address.

The (my) rationale behind this is, that I work with multiport SRIOV and
MRIOV

network cards that cannot put each and every virtual port into promiscuous

mode, but they have the capability to register a large number of MAC
addresses

to each interface.

These systems are host to a large number of kvm guests, that require
network access.

To get around the problem I added two uevents to linuxbridge that would
announce every

learned address to udev, and udev would register or remove  the MAC
address to the

uplink device of the bridge.

The script may also add the required addresses for multicast and IPv6 if
required.

The need for promiscuous mode on the card was gone. All I needed to do
was to attach

the guests through a linuxbridge instead of directly to the card.

I may be missing something here - I'm pretty sure there I am, but is
there any conceptual

reason why this should not be done this way ?

I'm porting my patch (for 3.10.0) to head, and will make it available, I
just want some

valuable feedback as early as possible.

Thanks, D.Herrendoerfer