From: Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@gmail.com>
To: "D. Herrendoerfer" <d.herrendoerfer@herrendoerfer.name>,
	Stephen Hemminger <stephen@networkplumber.org>
Cc: netdev@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] bridge: MAC learning uevents
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 11:30:08 -0700	[thread overview]

On 09/08/2016 10:19 AM, D. Herrendoerfer wrote:

> On 08 Sep 2016, at 17:39, Stephen Hemminger <stephen@networkplumber.org> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 8 Sep 2016 15:06:16 +0200
>> "D. Herrendoerfer" <d.herrendoerfer@herrendoerfer.name> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'd like to start a discussion if it makes sense to add an optional feature
>>>
>>> to the bridge MAC address learning code to generate kernel uevents for
>
> [SNIP]
>

>>> I'm porting my patch (for 3.10.0) to head, and will make it available, I
>>> just want some
>>>
>>> valuable feedback as early as possible.
>>>

>>> Thanks, D.Herrendoerfer
>>
>> This should be possible by listening for netlink events.
>> No need for udev interaction.
>
> No, there are none, not for changes to the bridge forwarding table, also this would
> require a tool to continuously listen for changes.

Wat do you expect uevent to solve here that netlink + a monitoring
program can't?

There is quite a bit of code in net/bridge/br_fdb.c just to deal with
notifying learned/added MAC addresses, is not that where you should
start adding what you are after (if that is not supported as of latest
mainline)?
--
Florian