* Re: [Printing-architecture] Required prefixes for symbols in new OP specs
@ 2007-02-07 17:33 McDonald, Ira
From: McDonald, Ira @ 2007-02-07 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'TORATANI Yasumasa'; +Cc: printing-architecture

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434
email: imcdonald@sharplabs.com

-----Original Message-----
From: printing-architecture-bounces@lists.freestandards.org
[mailto:printing-architecture-bounces@lists.freestandards.org]On Behalf
Of TORATANI Yasumasa
Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 12:19 AM
To: McDonald, Ira
Cc: printing-architecture@lists.freestandards.org
Subject: Re: [Printing-architecture] Required prefixes for symbols in
new OP specs

Hi,

I think we should clarify a new naming rule for functions,
enums, typedefs, etc... but we can just convert the former
FSG OpenPrinting naming rule we usually used to use "op"
or "OP" in stead of "fsg" or "FSG".

According to the JTAPI spec, we can re-define the rule as;

Functions:
  "op" + "[mod]" + "[Name]"
  * All "mod" character must be lowercase.
  * "Name" characters can be uppercase or lowercase, but first
     "Name" character must be uppercase.
  example)  opmodOpen( ... );

Enums:
  "OP" + "[MOD]" + "_" + "[NAME]"
  * All alphabetic characters must be uppercase.
  example)  OPMOD_OK

Types:
  "op" + "[mod]" + "_" + "[Name]"
  example)  opmod_return_code_t

Comment?

TORATANI.

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 09:04:32 -0800
"McDonald, Ira" <imcdonald@sharplabs.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Per our discussion at yesterday's Linux Foundation
> Open Printing Steering Committee teleconference.
>
> Effective immediately, future Open Printing module
> specs will use prefixes for external identifiers of
> the form:
>
>   "op" + "[mod]" + "_"
>
> where:
>
>   mod == module abbreviation (e.g., "pcm")
>
> instead of the previous "fsg" + "[mod]" + "_" (e.g.,
> "fsgjt_" in OP Job Ticket API).  But, we will NEVER
> change the "fsgxx_" prefix in adopted and published
> OP specs (for stability and backwards compatibility).
>
> This change in standard OP prefixes will hopefully
> future-proof our APIs against future organizational
> changes and renames (e.g., FSG --> Linux Foundation).
>
> Cheers,
> - Ira

> Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
> PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
> phone: +1-906-494-2434
> email: imcdonald@sharplabs.com

3:33 PM

* Re: [Printing-architecture] Required prefixes for symbols in new OP specs
@ 2007-02-08  3:16     ` Michael Sweet
From: Michael Sweet @ 2007-02-08  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: printing-architecture; +Cc: McDonald, Ira

Norm Jacobs wrote:
 > FWIW, this will work for applications linking with libraries
exporting the old interface, but will not solve the problem for loadable
modules that are dlopen()'d and dlsym()'d.  In those cases, the shim
method you

Do we even need to worry about this?  Assuming a developer uses this
method, they can still use the old names (which are documented in the
specs) without relying on platform-specific weak linking support.

Regardless, the only time I can see using dlopen() or dlsym() is for
testing for newer versions of libraries at run-time, which will be
using the new naming conventions anyway, right?

* Re: [Printing-architecture] Required prefixes for symbols in new OP specs
@ 2007-02-08  3:01   ` Norm Jacobs
From: Norm Jacobs @ 2007-02-08  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Sweet; +Cc: printing-architecture, McDonald, Ira

Michael Sweet wrote:
> McDonald, Ira wrote:
>
>> Hi Olaf,
>>
>> What prefix (if any) are you currently using for PCM
>> functions, variables, and constants?
>>
>> There was a strong concensus at the OP Steering Committee
>> meeting this Monday that we should NOT use 'fsg' as the
>> beginning of the prefix for any specs that are not yet
>> formally approved.
>>
>> Relative to Michael Sweet's comment about #define to
>> make consistent prefix (e.g., in existing JTAPI C headers),
>> that may or may not fix problems of linkers - dynamic
>> linking in Linux appears rather limited relative to some
>> other platforms - my impression.
>>

> This isn't an issue - you define the new prefix to point to
> the old name, e.g.:
>
>      #define opjt_foo fsgjt_foo
>
> The compiler and linker use the old names, as before.  The
> developer can use the new names and be none the wiser.

FWIW, this will work for applications linking with libraries exporting
the old interface, but will not solve the problem for loadable modules
that are dlopen()'d and dlsym()'d.  In those cases, the shim method you
mention below will work or using weak symbol associations in the
loadable module will work.  the weak symbols have the advantage of not
introducing any additional calling overhead.

This can be done with

#pragma weak   new_symbol_name = old_symbol_name

Of course if we don't migrate to new names, none of this matters.

          -Norm

@ 2007-02-08  0:07   ` TORATANI Yasumasa
From: TORATANI Yasumasa @ 2007-02-08  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olaf Meeuwissen; +Cc: printing-architecture, McDonald, Ira

Hi,

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 08:43:26 +0900
Olaf Meeuwissen <olaf.meeuwissen@avasys.jp> wrote:

(snip)

> A naming standard should cover (at least) everything that is part of
> all the public OpenPrinting APIs.  That's is, everything that goes
> into the header file(s) that our API users include.
>
> Hmm, come to think of it, I think it should also cover the file names
> themselves.  Do they get an "op" prefix, so you get oppcm.h an opjt.h
> for example, or do they go into an op, openprinting or even an
> OpenPrinting directory?
> # What about case insensitive file systems?

On page 13 of the JTAPI document, it already defines the header file
name, such as, "fsgjt.h", "fsgjt_attribute.h", etc. I believe we can use
the similar naming rule, for instance, "opmod.h", opmod_attribute.h", etc
which can keep consistency with the case insensitive file systems.

TORATANI Yasumasa
Software Engineering Dept.23
Platform Technology Development Headquarters, CANON INC.

* Re: [Printing-architecture] Required prefixes for symbols in new OP specs
@ 2007-02-07 23:43 ` Olaf Meeuwissen
From: Olaf Meeuwissen @ 2007-02-07 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: McDonald, Ira; +Cc: 'TORATANI Yasumasa', printing-architecture

"McDonald, Ira" <imcdonald@sharplabs.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Oops - I hit SEND accidentally a minute ago.
>
> Yes - I like your proposed usage (consistent with
> JTAPI C headers).

For the publicly visible parts of the PCM API this proposed usage is
exactly what we are using at the moment, modulo a `sed 's/op/fsg/g'`.
If we decide to switch to "op" instead of "fsg", it's not a big issue
now because we haven't released anything yet.

For functions we additionally use CamelCase for the "Name" part (much
as I don't like this :-).  For all types we also consistently attach a
"_t" at the end although I believe this treads in the POSIX reserved
name space.  Sorry, don't have a ref handy.

For non-public API that is used by various parts of our implementation
(let's call it the protected API), we informally stick to a convention
where we drop the "fsg" prefix, so you get pcmCamelCase for functions
etc.

> I agree that a naming standard should go deeper
> than just the external function names.

A naming standard should cover (at least) everything that is part of
all the public OpenPrinting APIs.  That's is, everything that goes
into the header file(s) that our API users include.

Hmm, come to think of it, I think it should also cover the file names
themselves.  Do they get an "op" prefix, so you get oppcm.h an opjt.h
for example, or do they go into an op, openprinting or even an
OpenPrinting directory?
# What about case insensitive file systems?

Just my two yen.

> Cheers,
> - Ira

> Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
> PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
> phone: +1-906-494-2434
> email: imcdonald@sharplabs.com

Olaf Meeuwissen                          EPSON AVASYS Corporation, SE1
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/
Penguin's lib!       -- I hack, therefore I am --               LPIC-2

* Re: [Printing-architecture] Required prefixes for symbols in new OP specs
@ 2007-02-07 23:20 ` Olaf Meeuwissen
From: Olaf Meeuwissen @ 2007-02-07 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: McDonald, Ira; +Cc: printing-architecture

"McDonald, Ira" <imcdonald@sharplabs.com> writes:

> Hi Olaf,
>
> What prefix (if any) are you currently using for PCM
> functions, variables, and constants?

We use "fsgpcm" following the examples that JTAPI set.  I'll be
getting back on this in your reply to Yasumasu Toratani.

> There was a strong concensus at the OP Steering Committee
> meeting this Monday that we should NOT use 'fsg' as the
> beginning of the prefix for any specs that are not yet
> formally approved.

I don't mind changing it.  It's mostly just pulling everthing through
sed 's/fsg/op/g' as we haven't publicly released any code yet ;-)

--

@ 2007-02-07 19:51 ` Michael Sweet
From: Michael Sweet @ 2007-02-07 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: McDonald, Ira; +Cc: printing-architecture

@ 2007-02-07 17:36 McDonald, Ira

@ 2007-02-07 17:27 McDonald, Ira

> Effective immediately, future Open Printing module
> specs will use prefixes for external identifiers of
> the form:
>
>   "op" + "[mod]" + "_"
>
> where:
>
>   mod == module abbreviation (e.g., "pcm")

I just want to make sure that for PCM we _have_ to use the "oppcm_"
prefix before I convert all the code and docs we are hacking on.

@ 2007-02-07  5:19 ` TORATANI Yasumasa
From: TORATANI Yasumasa @ 2007-02-07  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: McDonald, Ira; +Cc: printing-architecture

@ 2007-02-07  0:59 ` Olaf Meeuwissen