* switching some legacy bbclass stuff to use "noexec"
@ 2021-05-30 20:31 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2021-05-30 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

  am i right in assuming that stuff like this in ptest.bbclass:

  do_configure_ptest() {
      :
  }

can be replaced by using the "noexec" flag?

  if so, then this in base.bbclass looks a bit strange:

  do_build[noexec] = "1"
  do_build[recrdeptask] += "do_deploy"
  do_build () {
        :
  }

thoughts?

rday

* Re: [OE-core] switching some legacy bbclass stuff to use "noexec"
@ 2021-05-31  8:50 ` Quentin Schulz
From: Quentin Schulz @ 2021-05-31  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Robert,

On Sun, May 30, 2021 at 04:31:24PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   am i right in assuming that stuff like this in ptest.bbclass:
>
>   do_configure_ptest() {
>       :
>   }
>
> can be replaced by using the "noexec" flag?

No.

[noexec] effectively disables the whole task while the code snippet
above allows to _prepend, _append, overrides for a given
machine/distro/target/native.

Also, I assume that you need a tak to be defined in order to addtask it
and then noexec it?

>   if so, then this in base.bbclass looks a bit strange:
>
>   do_build[noexec] = "1"
>   do_build[recrdeptask] += "do_deploy"
>   do_build () {
>         :
>   }

Don't know if it actually makes sense, but this defines a build task,
which can then be "noexec"-ed. One can then decide to exec it and
add code to the function.

Since do_build is the task that is called when you do bitbake <recipe>
(and probably many other scenarios, e.g. EXTRA_IMAGEDEPENDS?) it should
always be defined even though it is just basically the root node of the
task dependency tree.

Cheers,
Quentin