* The next TestGettext step?
@ 2010-02-01 18:21 Jorma Karvonen
From: Jorma Karvonen @ 2010-02-01 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

Hello,

I tried to test according to the following document:
http://grub.enbug.org/TestGettext

I installed everything and changed the path to grub-mkrescue a bit:

/usr/local/bin/grub-mkrescue  --override-directory=. --output=test.iso img/
qemu -cdrom test.iso

Then I tried the following test (first without --no-kqemu option and
after that with that one):

img$ sudo ./test.sh -no-kqemu
Enabling BIOS support ...
(null): error: cannot open .///moddep.lst.
You do not have enough space in '/dev/shm' for the 128 MB of QEMU virtual RAM.
To have more space available provided you have enough RAM and swap, do as root:
umount /dev/shm
mount -t tmpfs -o size=144m none /dev/shm
Or disable the accelerator module with -no-kqemu

I tried to umount /dev/shm but got the following message
img$ sudo umount /dev/shm
umount: /dev/shm: device is busy
umount: /dev/shm: device is busy

So I can't umount and mount again. What would be the next step?

Best regards,

Jorma Karvonen

* The next TestGettext step?
@ 2010-02-01 19:08 ` Jorma Karvonen
From: Jorma Karvonen @ 2010-02-01 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

Hello,

I rebooted the system and tried to umount /dev/shm and now it did not fail.

Then I tried the test run:

img$ sudo ./test.sh
Enabling BIOS support ...
(null): error: cannot open .///moddep.lst.
qemu: could not open disk image test.iso

Where should I find that moddep.lst and test.iso ?

br,

Jorma Karvonen

* Re: The next TestGettext step?
@ 2010-02-01 20:07 ` Carles Pina i Estany
From: Carles Pina i Estany @ 2010-02-01 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

Hi,

On Feb/01/2010, Jorma Karvonen wrote:

> I tried to test according to the following document:
> http://grub.enbug.org/TestGettext
>
> I installed everything and changed the path to grub-mkrescue a bit:

Why have you changed the path of grub-mkrescue a bit?

The instructions doesn't install Grub (not needed to test the
translations), it only compiles Grub. I prefer it to mess up things in
your machines.

Also, you don't need sudo for the all process (beside installing
packages)

> img$ sudo ./test.sh -no-kqemu
> Enabling BIOS support ...
> (null): error: cannot open .///moddep.lst.
> You do not have enough space in '/dev/shm' for the 128 MB of QEMU virtual RAM.
> To have more space available provided you have enough RAM and swap, do as root:
> umount /dev/shm
> mount -t tmpfs -o size=144m none /dev/shm
> Or disable the accelerator module with -no-kqemu
>
> I tried to umount /dev/shm but got the following message
> img$ sudo umount /dev/shm
> umount: /dev/shm: device is busy
> umount: /dev/shm: device is busy
>
> So I can't umount and mount again. What would be the next step?

You don't need to umount it.

could you try everything under "Steps", not using sudo, not installing
Grub?

Which distribution do you use?

Have you used qemu for something else? (that you would have some special
qemu configuration).

The iso file should be generated in your grub directory, not under img/

Cheers,

--
Carles Pina i Estany
	http://pinux.info

* Re: The next TestGettext step?
@ 2010-02-01 20:20   ` Jorma Karvonen
From: Jorma Karvonen @ 2010-02-01 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

Hi,

I had already installed grub2 with ./configure -prefix=/usr/local and
could not find grub-mkrescue in img directory.

My distribution is kubuntu and I'm just downloading
kubuntu-kde4-8.04.1-desktop-i386.iso file. I supppose that I can use
it as a test.iso file.

Br,

Jorma K.

* Re: The next TestGettext step?
@ 2010-02-01 21:10     ` Carles Pina i Estany
From: Carles Pina i Estany @ 2010-02-01 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB; +Cc: help-grub

Hi,

Do you mind if we move this thread to help-grub mailing list?:

(I've updated the Wiki according to it too)

Sorry for the subscribes-unsubscribes cycle. I send this mail CCed
there, from now on I will reply in this thread only there.

On Feb/01/2010, Jorma Karvonen wrote:

> I had already installed grub2 with ./configure -prefix=/usr/local and
> could not find grub-mkrescue in img directory.

grub-mkrescue should not be in img/ directory, it should be in
/usr/local/bin or in the same directory that you compiled Grub.

Could you repeat the steps and same time copying-pasting what you type
to an email?

And try to use exactly the same steps that I described on the Wiki
unless you have some reason to try something else. Or do the same steps
and if you want to adjust something we do it after that.

More people used that and worked fine, but of course, but it was with
another Ubuntu or Debian.

Thanks!

--
Carles Pina i Estany
	http://pinux.info

* Re: The next TestGettext step?
@ 2010-02-02  7:52       ` Jorma Karvonen
From: Jorma Karvonen @ 2010-02-02  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB

OK,

this move to help-grub is OK. I will subscribe it too. After .iso file
downloading I made the following linking in img directory (it is a
subdirectory for Desktop):

ln -s ../../Downloads/kubuntu-kde4-8.04.1-desktop-i386.iso test.iso

then I run the command:

sudo ./test.sh
sudo ./test.sh
Enabling BIOS support ...
(null): error: cannot open .///moddep.lst.
Could not open '/dev/kqemu' - QEMU acceleration layer not activated:
No such file or directory

Now I can start kubuntu-kde4 but it takes hours to open (because of
missing /dev/kqemu) and I can't really run that .iso distro. I'll try
to find what is wrong with my QEMU. Still wondering that moddep.lst
line, too.

br,

Jorma K.