* Unclear documentation about IORING_OP_READ
@ 2020-08-30  3:32 Shuveb Hussain
From: Shuveb Hussain @ 2020-08-30  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: io-uring, Jens Axboe

Jens,

I'm coming up the the man page for io_uring(7) and I noticed that the
existing man page or other available documentation does not make it
clear about offset (off in the SQE) being a mandatory parameter for
the following operations:
IORING_OP_READ
IORING_OP_WRITE
IORING_OP_READV
IORING_OP_WRITEV

Regular UNIX developers will expect subsequent read/write operations
on the same file descriptor to remember the file offset for files that
continue to be open. Is this the intended behavior or is it just that
it is not documented? If it is the latter, I'll clearly call it out in
the documentation.

In the included program, removing the "offset" variable causes the
program to behave abnormally, proving that read/write operations
executed via io_uring do not honor current file offsets for open file
descriptors. Please clarify.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <sys/ioctl.h>
#include <sys/syscall.h>
#include <sys/mman.h>
#include <sys/uio.h>
#include <linux/fs.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <string.h>

/* If your compilation fails because the header file below is missing,
* your kernel is probably too old to support io_uring.
* */
#include <linux/io_uring.h>

#define QUEUE_DEPTH 1
#define BLOCK_SZ    1024

/* This is x86 specific */
#define read_barrier()  __asm__ __volatile__("":::"memory")
#define write_barrier() __asm__ __volatile__("":::"memory")

int ring_fd;
unsigned *sring_tail, *sring_mask, *sring_array,
            *cring_head, *cring_tail, *cring_mask;
struct io_uring_sqe *sqes;
struct io_uring_cqe *cqes;
char buff[BLOCK_SZ];
off_t offset;

/*
* This code is written in the days when io_uring-related system calls are not
* part of standard C libraries. So, we roll our own system call wrapper
* functions.
* */

int io_uring_setup(unsigned entries, struct io_uring_params *p)
{
    return (int) syscall(__NR_io_uring_setup, entries, p);
}

int io_uring_enter(int ring_fd, unsigned int to_submit,
                   unsigned int min_complete, unsigned int flags)
{
    return (int) syscall(__NR_io_uring_enter, ring_fd, to_submit, min_complete,
                         flags, NULL, 0);
}

int app_setup_uring() {
    struct io_uring_params p;
    void *sq_ptr, *cq_ptr;

    /*
    * We need to pass in the io_uring_params structure to the io_uring_setup()
    * call zeroed out. We could set any flags if we need to, but for this
    * example, we don't.
    * */
    memset(&p, 0, sizeof(p));
    ring_fd = io_uring_setup(QUEUE_DEPTH, &p);
    if (ring_fd < 0) {
        perror("io_uring_setup");
        return 1;
    }

    /*
    * io_uring communication happens via 2 shared kernel-user space
ring buffers,
    * which can be jointly mapped with a single mmap() call in recent kernels.
    * While the completion queue is directly manipulated, the submission queue
    * has an indirection array in between. We map that in as well.
    * */

    int sring_sz = p.sq_off.array + p.sq_entries * sizeof(unsigned);
    int cring_sz = p.cq_off.cqes + p.cq_entries * sizeof(struct io_uring_cqe);

    /* In kernel version 5.4 and above, it is possible to map the submission and
    * completion buffers with a single mmap() call. Rather than check for kernel
    * versions, the recommended way is to just check the features field of the
    * io_uring_params structure, which is a bit mask. If the
    * IORING_FEAT_SINGLE_MMAP is set, then we can do away with the second mmap()
    * call to map the completion ring.
    * */
    if (p.features & IORING_FEAT_SINGLE_MMAP) {
        if (cring_sz > sring_sz) {
            sring_sz = cring_sz;
        }
        cring_sz = sring_sz;
    }

    /* Map in the submission and completion queue ring buffers.
    * Older kernels only map in the submission queue, though.
    * */
    sq_ptr = mmap(0, sring_sz, PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE,
                  MAP_SHARED | MAP_POPULATE,
                  ring_fd, IORING_OFF_SQ_RING);
    if (sq_ptr == MAP_FAILED) {
        perror("mmap");
        return 1;
    }

    if (p.features & IORING_FEAT_SINGLE_MMAP) {
        cq_ptr = sq_ptr;
    } else {
        /* Map in the completion queue ring buffer in older kernels
separately */
        cq_ptr = mmap(0, cring_sz, PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE,
                      MAP_SHARED | MAP_POPULATE,
                      ring_fd, IORING_OFF_CQ_RING);
        if (cq_ptr == MAP_FAILED) {
            perror("mmap");
            return 1;
        }
    }
    /* Save useful fields in a global app_io_sq_ring struct for later
    * easy reference */
    sring_tail = sq_ptr + p.sq_off.tail;
    sring_mask = sq_ptr + p.sq_off.ring_mask;
    sring_array = sq_ptr + p.sq_off.array;

    /* Map in the submission queue entries array */
    sqes = mmap(0, p.sq_entries * sizeof(struct io_uring_sqe),
                   PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE, MAP_SHARED | MAP_POPULATE,
                   ring_fd, IORING_OFF_SQES);
    if (sqes == MAP_FAILED) {
        perror("mmap");
        return 1;
    }

    /* Save useful fields in a global app_io_cq_ring struct for later
    * easy reference */
    cring_head = cq_ptr + p.cq_off.head;
    cring_tail = cq_ptr + p.cq_off.tail;
    cring_mask = cq_ptr + p.cq_off.ring_mask;
    cqes = cq_ptr + p.cq_off.cqes;

    return 0;
}

/*
* Read from completion queue.
* In this function, we read completion events from the completion queue, get
* the data buffer that will have the file data and print it to the console.
* */

int read_from_cq() {
    struct io_uring_cqe *cqe;
    unsigned head, reaped = 0;

    head = *cring_head;
    read_barrier();
    /*
    * Remember, this is a ring buffer. If head == tail, it means that the
    * buffer is empty.
    * */
    if (head == *cring_tail)
        return -1;

    /* Get the entry */
    cqe = &cqes[head & (*cring_mask)];
    if (cqe->res < 0)
        fprintf(stderr, "Error: %s\n", strerror(abs(cqe->res)));

    head++;

    *cring_head = head;
    write_barrier();

    return cqe->res;
}
/*
* Submit a read or a write request to the submission queue.
* */

int submit_to_sq(int fd, int op) {
    unsigned index, tail;

    /* Add our submission queue entry to the tail of the SQE ring buffer */
    tail = *sring_tail;
    read_barrier();
    index = tail & *sring_mask;
    struct io_uring_sqe *sqe = &sqes[index];
    /* Fill in the parameters required for the read or write operation */
    sqe->opcode = op;
    sqe->fd = fd;
    sqe->addr = (unsigned long) buff;
    if (op == IORING_OP_READ) {
        memset(buff, 0, sizeof(buff));
        sqe->len = BLOCK_SZ;
    }
    else {
        sqe->len = strlen(buff);
    }
    sqe->off = offset;

    sring_array[index] = index;
    tail++;

    /* Update the tail so the kernel can see it. */
    write_barrier();
    *sring_tail = tail;
    write_barrier();

    /*
    * Tell the kernel we have submitted events with the io_uring_enter() system
    * call. We also pass in the IOURING_ENTER_GETEVENTS flag which causes the
    * io_uring_enter() call to wait until min_complete events (the 3rd param)
    * complete.
    * */
    int ret =  io_uring_enter(ring_fd, 1,1,
                              IORING_ENTER_GETEVENTS);
    if(ret < 0) {
        perror("io_uring_enter");
        return -1;
    }

    return ret;
}

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
    int res;

    if(app_setup_uring()) {
        fprintf(stderr, "Unable to setup uring!\n");
        return 1;
    }

    while (1) {
        /* Initiate read from stdin and wait for it to complete */
        submit_to_sq(STDIN_FILENO, IORING_OP_READ);
        /* Read completion queue entry */
        res = read_from_cq();
        if (res > 0) {
            /* Read successful. Write to stdout. */
            submit_to_sq(STDOUT_FILENO, IORING_OP_WRITE);
            read_from_cq();
        } else if (res == 0) {
            /* reached EOF */
            break;
        }
        else if (res < 0) {
            /* Error reading file */
            fprintf(stderr, "Error: %s\n", strerror(abs(res)));
            break;
        }
        offset += res;
    }

    return 0;
}

Thanks!
--
Shuveb Hussain

* Re: Unclear documentation about IORING_OP_READ
@ 2020-08-30 20:10 ` Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2020-08-30 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shuveb Hussain, io-uring

On 8/29/20 9:32 PM, Shuveb Hussain wrote:
> Jens,
>
> I'm coming up the the man page for io_uring(7) and I noticed that the
> existing man page or other available documentation does not make it
> clear about offset (off in the SQE) being a mandatory parameter for
> the following operations:
> IORING_OP_READ
> IORING_OP_WRITE
> IORING_OP_READV
> IORING_OP_WRITEV
>
> Regular UNIX developers will expect subsequent read/write operations
> on the same file descriptor to remember the file offset for files that
> continue to be open. Is this the intended behavior or is it just that
> it is not documented? If it is the latter, I'll clearly call it out in
> the documentation.

This is intended behavior, you should consider the READV to be just
like preadv2() in that it takes the offset/iov/flags, and ditto on
the write side. READ is basically what a pread2 would be, if it
existed.

That said, you can use off == -1 if IORING_FEAT_RW_CUR_POS is set
in the feature flags upon ring creation, and that'll use (and updated)
the current file offset. This works for any non-stream/pipe file
type.

--
Jens Axboe

* Re: Unclear documentation about IORING_OP_READ
@ 2020-09-01 12:51   ` Shuveb Hussain
From: Shuveb Hussain @ 2020-09-01 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Axboe; +Cc: io-uring

Hello,

> This is intended behavior, you should consider the READV to be just
> like preadv2() in that it takes the offset/iov/flags, and ditto on
> the write side. READ is basically what a pread2 would be, if it
> existed.
>
> That said, you can use off == -1 if IORING_FEAT_RW_CUR_POS is set
> in the feature flags upon ring creation, and that'll use (and updated)
> the current file offset. This works for any non-stream/pipe file
> type.

That clarifies it. Thanks, Jens.

--

@ 2020-09-01 14:02     ` Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2020-09-01 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shuveb Hussain; +Cc: io-uring

On 9/1/20 6:51 AM, Shuveb Hussain wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> This is intended behavior, you should consider the READV to be just
>> like preadv2() in that it takes the offset/iov/flags, and ditto on
>> the write side. READ is basically what a pread2 would be, if it
>> existed.
>>
>> That said, you can use off == -1 if IORING_FEAT_RW_CUR_POS is set
>> in the feature flags upon ring creation, and that'll use (and updated)
>> the current file offset. This works for any non-stream/pipe file
>> type.
>>

> That clarifies it. Thanks, Jens.

Great! BTW, thanks for working on the io_uring(7) man page, I'm pretty
excited about that.

--
Jens Axboe