* [Buildroot] custom skeleton question
@ 2018-05-29 17:48 Liam Staskawicz
From: Liam Staskawicz @ 2018-05-29 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

I'd like to create a custom rootfs skeleton based on Ubuntu Base (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Base) via the existing skeleton-custom package, but rather than ship the entire skeleton in my repo, i'd like to download it (either as a step in another custom package or otherwise).

Given that BR2_ROOTFS_SKELETON_CUSTOM_PATH is evaluated at kconfig time, I don't see the best way to supply this value from another package.

Is there a recommended approach to supply this value more dynamically?

Thanks,
Liam

* [Buildroot] custom skeleton question
@ 2018-05-29 19:38 ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2018-05-29 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

 > I'd like to create a custom rootfs skeleton based on Ubuntu Base
 > (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Base) via the existing skeleton-custom
 > package, but rather than ship the entire skeleton in my repo, i'd like
 > to download it (either as a step in another custom package or
 > otherwise).

Doesn't this "base" already contain a number of libraries and programs?
I don't quite see how this fits in Buildroot.

 > Given that BR2_ROOTFS_SKELETON_CUSTOM_PATH is evaluated at kconfig
 > time, I don't see the best way to supply this value from another
 > package.

 > Is there a recommended approach to supply this value more dynamically?

Instead of using it as a rootfs skeleton you could perhaps create a
package to download such a "base" and extract it on top of the default
skeleton?

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

* [Buildroot] custom skeleton question
@ 2018-05-30  4:32   ` Liam Staskawicz
From: Liam Staskawicz @ 2018-05-30  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

>> I'd like to create a custom rootfs skeleton based on Ubuntu Base
>> (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Base) via the existing skeleton-custom
>> package, but rather than ship the entire skeleton in my repo, i'd like
>> to download it (either as a step in another custom package or
>> otherwise).
>
> Doesn't this "base" already contain a number of libraries and programs?
> I don't quite see how this fits in Buildroot.
>
>> Given that BR2_ROOTFS_SKELETON_CUSTOM_PATH is evaluated at kconfig
>> time, I don't see the best way to supply this value from another
>> package.
>
>> Is there a recommended approach to supply this value more dynamically?
>
> Instead of using it as a rootfs skeleton you could perhaps create a
> package to download such a "base" and extract it on top of the default
> skeleton?

Thanks for the response. I can indeed investigate overlaying it on the default skeleton - mainly wanted to confirm I was not missing an intended way to use the existing skeleton-custom mechanism with a more dynamically supplied custom path. Thank you.

Best,
Liam

* [Buildroot] custom skeleton question
@ 2018-05-30  6:22     ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2018-05-30  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

 >>> I'd like to create a custom rootfs skeleton based on Ubuntu Base
 >>> (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Base) via the existing skeleton-custom
 >>> package, but rather than ship the entire skeleton in my repo, i'd like
 >>> to download it (either as a step in another custom package or
 >>> otherwise).
 >>
 >> Doesn't this "base" already contain a number of libraries and programs?
 >> I don't quite see how this fits in Buildroot.
 >>
 >>> Given that BR2_ROOTFS_SKELETON_CUSTOM_PATH is evaluated at kconfig
 >>> time, I don't see the best way to supply this value from another
 >>> package.
 >>
 >>> Is there a recommended approach to supply this value more dynamically?
 >>
 >> Instead of using it as a rootfs skeleton you could perhaps create a
 >> package to download such a "base" and extract it on top of the default
 >> skeleton?

 > Thanks for the response. I can indeed investigate overlaying it on the
 > default skeleton - mainly wanted to confirm I was not missing an
 > intended way to use the existing skeleton-custom mechanism with a more
 > dynamically supplied custom path. Thank you.

Ok - But again, if the Ubuntu base image contains a bunch of prebuilt
binaries and library you may very well end up with odd errors if you try
to merge them with Buildroot.

What are you trying to achieve here?

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

* [Buildroot] custom skeleton question
@ 2018-05-31  6:02       ` Liam Staskawicz
From: Liam Staskawicz @ 2018-05-31  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

> On May 29, 2018, at 11:22 PM, Peter Korsgaard <peter@korsgaard.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,

Hello :D

>>> Doesn't this "base" already contain a number of libraries and programs?
>>> I don't quite see how this fits in Buildroot.

>>> Instead of using it as a rootfs skeleton you could perhaps create a
>>> package to download such a "base" and extract it on top of the default
>>> skeleton?
>
>> Thanks for the response. I can indeed investigate overlaying it on the
>> default skeleton - mainly wanted to confirm I was not missing an
>> intended way to use the existing skeleton-custom mechanism with a more
>> dynamically supplied custom path. Thank you.
>
> Ok - But again, if the Ubuntu base image contains a bunch of prebuilt
> binaries and library you may very well end up with odd errors if you try
> to merge them with Buildroot.
>
> What are you trying to achieve here?

Your advice makes sense :)

I am mainly trying to make an incremental transition from a system based on ubuntu to one based on buildroot. My first step is providing a similar userspace to the current system while transitioning the kernel build and packaging to buildroot. Subsequently, I plan to more completely isolate the userspace such that it can ship with a pure buildroot rootfs.

So, while this is not strictly an ideal use of buildroot, it's a helpful stepping stone.

Thanks,
Liam

* [Buildroot] custom skeleton question
@ 2018-05-31 17:31         ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2018-05-31 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

 >> Ok - But again, if the Ubuntu base image contains a bunch of prebuilt
 >> binaries and library you may very well end up with odd errors if you try
 >> to merge them with Buildroot.
 >>
 >> What are you trying to achieve here?

 > Your advice makes sense :)

Good ;)

 > I am mainly trying to make an incremental transition from a system
 > based on ubuntu to one based on buildroot. My first step is providing
 > a similar userspace to the current system while transitioning the
 > kernel build and packaging to buildroot. Subsequently, I plan to more
 > completely isolate the userspace such that it can ship with a pure
 > buildroot rootfs.

 > So, while this is not strictly an ideal use of buildroot, it's a helpful stepping stone.

Ok, as long as you are aware of the potential pitfalls.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard