* Linux/MacOSX RAID5 dual boot
@ 2010-07-08  1:18 Marek
From: Marek @ 2010-07-08  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

Hi,

I apologize if this has been asked before. I would like to run a dual
boot MacOSX/Linux system. I suppose that if I setup a 4-disk RAID5
system via mdadm, MacOSX won't be able to access it. Can mdadm be run
succesfully on a MacOSX and if not, has a port been considered?

thanks,

Marek

* Re: Linux/MacOSX RAID5 dual boot
@ 2010-07-09 11:57 Marek
From: Marek @ 2010-07-09 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Brown; +Cc: linux-raid

On 9.7.2010, at 13:29, Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de> wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 13:15:00 +0200
> Marek <mlf.conv@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Neil,
>>
>> thanks for your answer. Do I understand it correctly that porting the
>> md driver wouldn't be an option either?
>
> No, not really an option.
> Darwin is sufficiently different from Linux that it would really
> mean writing
> a RAID5 driver for Darwin using md as a guide.  You could probably
> borrow
> some code (if the license allowed it which I doubt) but a very large
> amount
> would need to be written from scratch.

thanks for the information. It seems that a software RAID solution
(other than RAID1 or RAID0) for OSX doesn't exist. I was only able to
find SoftRAID which has some interesting features that are probably
outside the scope of mdadm, but they don't even support RAID5 yet.

Marek

@ 2010-07-09 11:29     ` Neil Brown
From: Neil Brown @ 2010-07-09 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marek; +Cc: linux-raid