* Sierra using QMI with linux-3.18.5 and oFono-1.16 possible?
@ 2015-04-10  8:04 Meul, Dirk
From: Meul, Dirk @ 2015-04-10  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi list,

I'm trying to use a Sierra MC7304 datacard in QMI mode with oFono-1.16 running on ARM with linux-3.18.5 kernel.

1) Without modifications the MC7304 uses qmi-wwan and option drivers and is not recognized by oFono
2) After adding the product ID to the sierra module the datacard is recognized and useable, but not in QMI mode
3) With different product ID qmi-wwan and qcserial drivers are used but still not recognizes by oFono
4) Patched oFono-1.16 following "improving QMI support on recent kernels" patch set from February 2013 by Bjørn Mork, no working interface, neither with patched sierra nor with qmi-wwan/qcserial

As the QMI interface /dev/cdc-wdmX now is in usbmisc interface and the patch set <https://lists.ofono.org/pipermail/ofono/2013-February/014240.html> wasn't merged I wonder if somebody is able to use QMI mode with recent kernels.

So my question: is it possible to use the QMI mode on recent kernel with current oFono? Are there other patches needed I didn't found?

Best Regards,
Dirk

--

Dirk Meul
P3 communications

Cell:          +49 151 571 33 167
Phone:    +49 241 9437 230
E-Mail:    Dirk.Meul(a)p3-group.com
Web:       www.p3-group.com
P3 communications GmbH
legal disclaimer, mandatory information and the P3 office addresses can be found at
www.p3-group.com/communications/email-information

* Re: Sierra using QMI with linux-3.18.5 and oFono-1.16 possible?
@ 2015-04-10  9:32 ` Mylene JOSSERAND
From: Mylene JOSSERAND @ 2015-04-10  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi Dirk,

On 04/10/2015 10:04 AM, Meul, Dirk wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm trying to use a Sierra MC7304 datacard in QMI mode with oFono-1.16 running on ARM with linux-3.18.5 kernel.
>
> 1) Without modifications the MC7304 uses qmi-wwan and option drivers and is not recognized by oFono
> 2) After adding the product ID to the sierra module the datacard is recognized and useable, but not in QMI mode
> 3) With different product ID qmi-wwan and qcserial drivers are used but still not recognizes by oFono
> 4) Patched oFono-1.16 following "improving QMI support on recent kernels" patch set from February 2013 by Bjørn Mork, no working interface, neither with patched sierra nor with qmi-wwan/qcserial
>
> As the QMI interface /dev/cdc-wdmX now is in usbmisc interface and the patch set <https://lists.ofono.org/pipermail/ofono/2013-February/014240.html> wasn't merged I wonder if somebody is able to use QMI mode with recent kernels.
>
> So my question: is it possible to use the QMI mode on recent kernel with current oFono? Are there other patches needed I didn't found?

I am currently running Ofono (1.15) on a recent kernel (3.10.17).
I am using QMI mode, on another modem than Sierra, and it works well.

I have applied the patch series of Bjorn too but, for me, one line was missing.
It is in the plugins/udevng::check_device function.
I have added the usbmisc bus to check new devices. Sorry, I do not have time to send you a patch so try to edit this line :
if (g_str_equal(bus, "usb") == TRUE)
by this one :
if (g_str_equal(bus, "usb") == TRUE || g_str_equal(bus, "usbmisc"))

It will allow to check usb devices on usb _and_ usbmisc buses.

As Bjorn's patches was not applied (I do not know why), I did push back this modification.
At least, I should have sent it on this list.. Sorry, I did not have time and then, I forgot it ! :(

Hope this help,

Best regards,

Mylène JOSSERAND

* RE: Sierra using QMI with linux-3.18.5 and oFono-1.16 possible?
@ 2015-04-10 11:49   ` Meul, Dirk
From: Meul, Dirk @ 2015-04-10 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi Mylène,

Thank you for your answer. I tested your modification, but still no success.

Best regards,
Dirk