* [meta-raspberrypi] linux-raspberrypi versions
@ 2016-07-21  7:02 Paul Barker
From: Paul Barker @ 2016-07-21  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi all,

I'm planning to look at the linux-raspberypi recipes once I've had time
to send V2 of my u-boot patches. I'd like to know people's thoughts on
the available kernel versions in the meta-raspberrypi layer:

Is anyone still using the linux-raspberrypi 3.18 recipe? The commit
referenced in SRCREV is from June 2015. I think it's probably time to
retire this unless anyone has a reason to keep it around.

Is there any reason to keep linux-raspberrypi 4.1 as the default
recipe? The last commit to the 4.1 branch was in April and the
default branch on the linux-raspberrypi GitHub repository has been
4.4 since then. I think we should change the default version to 4.4
unless there's a good reason not to.

If there's no objections I'll send a couple of patches to drop 3.18 and
change the default to 4.4.

Thanks,
Paul Barker

* Re: [meta-raspberrypi] linux-raspberrypi versions
@ 2016-07-21 15:39 ` Herve Jourdain
From: Herve Jourdain @ 2016-07-21 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Paul Barker', yocto

Hi Paul,

I had the same line of thoughts...
I believe 3.18 should be dropped, maybe even 4.1, default to 4.4, and maybe
add 4.7 to the mix, since 4.7 seems to be where the bulk of the work is done
now.

Herve

@ 2016-07-22  7:03   ` piotr.lewicki
From: piotr.lewicki @ 2016-07-22  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Herve Jourdain, 'Paul Barker', yocto

Hi all,

I also think that's a good idea. In my opinion we should at least make
latest LTS (4.4) the default kernel and try to add latest mainline.

Probably the "proper way" of dealing with the issue is using branches.
This way (as it is in oe-core): jethro would have kernel 3.18 and 4.1,
krogoth would have 4.4 and 4.1 and master would only have 4.4 and latest
mainline.

Don't you think that it would be a good idea to create some "quasi"
krogoth branch out of what is on master and then cleaning the master
(e.g. removing kernel 3.18 and 4.1) ?

BR,

Piotr

@ 2016-07-22 13:16 ` Martin Bergek
From: Martin Bergek @ 2016-07-22 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Barker; +Cc: yocto

Paul,

I am having stability issues with the USB subsystem on Raspberry Pi 3 under 4.4 that I can’t reproduce under 4.1. I assume 4.1 will still remain in the recipe when 4.4 is made the default option. How long would the 4.1 version stay so that those that want to can keep the old kernel version?

For more information about my issue please see: https://www.mail-archive.com/yocto@yoctoproject.org/msg30362.html

Thanks,
Martin Bergek

@ 2016-07-22 14:07     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2016-07-22 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: piotr.lewicki; +Cc: yocto

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 12:03 AM, piotr.lewicki <piotr.lewicki@elfin.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I also think that's a good idea. In my opinion we should at least make
> latest LTS (4.4) the default kernel and try to add latest mainline.
>
> Probably the "proper way" of dealing with the issue is using branches. This
> way (as it is in oe-core): jethro would have kernel 3.18 and 4.1, krogoth
> would have 4.4 and 4.1 and master would only have 4.4 and latest mainline.

4.1 is also LTS, So it should be kept along with 4.4 until next LTS

@ 2016-07-29  1:42   ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2016-07-29  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Bergek; +Cc: yocto

> On Jul 22, 2016, at 6:16 AM, Martin Bergek <martin@spotwise.com> wrote:
>
> Paul,
>
> I am having stability issues with the USB subsystem on Raspberry Pi 3 under 4.4 that I can’t reproduce under 4.1. I assume 4.1 will still remain in the recipe when 4.4 is made the default option. How long would the 4.1 version stay so that those that want to can keep the old kernel version?
>
> For more information about my issue please see: https://www.mail-archive.com/yocto@yoctoproject.org/msg30362.html

I have pushed 4.7 recipe to my staging branch

https://github.com/kraj/meta-raspberrypi kraj/master

its lightly tested. Would be good if you can try and see if this helps your case.

> Thanks,
> Martin Bergek
>

>> On 21 Jul 2016, at 09:02, Paul Barker <paul@paulbarker.me.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm planning to look at the linux-raspberypi recipes once I've had time
>> to send V2 of my u-boot patches. I'd like to know people's thoughts on
>> the available kernel versions in the meta-raspberrypi layer:
>>
>> Is anyone still using the linux-raspberrypi 3.18 recipe? The commit
>> referenced in SRCREV is from June 2015. I think it's probably time to
>> retire this unless anyone has a reason to keep it around.
>>
>> Is there any reason to keep linux-raspberrypi 4.1 as the default
>> recipe? The last commit to the 4.1 branch was in April and the
>> default branch on the linux-raspberrypi GitHub repository has been
>> 4.4 since then. I think we should change the default version to 4.4
>> unless there's a good reason not to.
>>
>> If there's no objections I'll send a couple of patches to drop 3.18 and
>> change the default to 4.4.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Paul Barker
>> --

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: [meta-raspberrypi] linux-raspberrypi versions
@ 2016-07-31 18:54       ` Andrei Gherzan
From: Andrei Gherzan @ 2016-07-31 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 07:07:07AM -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 12:03 AM, piotr.lewicki <piotr.lewicki@elfin.de> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I also think that's a good idea. In my opinion we should at least make
> > latest LTS (4.4) the default kernel and try to add latest mainline.
> >
> > Probably the "proper way" of dealing with the issue is using branches. This
> > way (as it is in oe-core): jethro would have kernel 3.18 and 4.1, krogoth
> > would have 4.4 and 4.1 and master would only have 4.4 and latest mainline.
>
> 4.1 is also LTS, So it should be kept along with 4.4 until next LTS

I'm 100% on removing < 4 and keep 4.4 default along with LTS 4.1 and the
current tip.

> > Don't you think that it would be a good idea to create some "quasi" krogoth
> > branch out of what is on master and then cleaning the master (e.g. removing
> > kernel 3.18 and 4.1) ?
> >

> > BR,
> >
> > Piotr
> >

> > On 21.07.2016 17:39, Herve Jourdain wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Paul,
> >>
> >> I had the same line of thoughts...
> >> I believe 3.18 should be dropped, maybe even 4.1, default to 4.4, and
> >> maybe
> >> add 4.7 to the mix, since 4.7 seems to be where the bulk of the work is
> >> done
> >> now.
> >>
> >> Herve

Andrei Gherzan

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [meta-raspberrypi] linux-raspberrypi versions
@ 2016-07-31 19:54         ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2016-07-31 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrei Gherzan; +Cc: yocto