* [Xenomai] Beaglebone kernels - automated builds WIP
@ 2013-06-05 15:42 Michael Haberler
From: Michael Haberler @ 2013-06-05 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

just letting you know I'm working with Robert Nelson to tack on a Xenomai kernel build to his automated build
the thread is here: http://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black+Comments (cant link to the actual post, search for xenomai)

this flow already produces the vanilla kernels which are in the BB Ubuntu and Debian images; the process is outlined here: http://tinyurl.com/n5ly89t ; the xenomai kernel(s) would be tacked onto this stream: http://rcn-ee.net/deb/wheezy-armhf/

for now I'll use the patches Stephan had forwarded me in private, and switch on next release (suggestions to do better than that welcome)

- Michael

* Re: [Xenomai] Beaglebone kernels - automated builds WIP
@ 2013-06-05 18:32 ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2013-06-05 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Haberler; +Cc: xenomai

On 06/05/2013 05:42 PM, Michael Haberler wrote:

> just letting you know I'm working with Robert Nelson to tack on a
> Xenomai kernel build to his automated build the thread is here:
> http://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black+Comments (cant
> link to the actual post, search for xenomai)
>
> this flow already produces the vanilla kernels which are in the BB
> Ubuntu and Debian images; the process is outlined here:
> http://tinyurl.com/n5ly89t ; the xenomai kernel(s) would be tacked
> onto this stream: http://rcn-ee.net/deb/wheezy-armhf/
>
> for now I'll use the patches Stephan had forwarded me in private, and
> switch on next release (suggestions to do better than that welcome)

You should probably use the ipipe-next branch in ipipe git tree.

--
                                                                Gilles.

* Re: [Xenomai] Beaglebone kernels - automated builds WIP
@ 2013-06-07  5:52   ` Michael Haberler
From: Michael Haberler @ 2013-06-07  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Am 05.06.2013 um 20:32 schrieb Gilles Chanteperdrix <gilles.chanteperdrix@xenomai.org>:

> On 06/05/2013 05:42 PM, Michael Haberler wrote:
>
>> just letting you know I'm working with Robert Nelson to tack on a
>> Xenomai kernel build to his automated build the thread is here:
>> http://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black+Comments (cant
>> link to the actual post, search for xenomai)
>>
>> this flow already produces the vanilla kernels which are in the BB
>> Ubuntu and Debian images; the process is outlined here:
>> http://tinyurl.com/n5ly89t ; the xenomai kernel(s) would be tacked
>> onto this stream: http://rcn-ee.net/deb/wheezy-armhf/
>>
>> for now I'll use the patches Stephan had forwarded me in private, and
>> switch on next release (suggestions to do better than that welcome)
>

> You should probably use the ipipe-next branch in ipipe git tree.

I tried and determined the process to be a tad above my pay grade, so I'm back to lurking for matching commits

Just noting the beaglebone 3.8 base kernels will likely 'max out' at 3.8.13, 3.10 work is alredy in progress

- Michael

@ 2013-06-08 20:17   ` Flavio Castro Alves Filho
From: Flavio Castro Alves Filho @ 2013-06-08 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix; +Cc: xenomai

Hello,

2013/6/5 Gilles Chanteperdrix <gilles.chanteperdrix@xenomai.org>:
> On 06/05/2013 05:42 PM, Michael Haberler wrote:
>
>> just letting you know I'm working with Robert Nelson to tack on a
>> Xenomai kernel build to his automated build the thread is here:
>> http://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black+Comments (cant
>> link to the actual post, search for xenomai)

I'm currently working on a similar activity - have Linux Xenomai
working on BeagleBone Black.

>> this flow already produces the vanilla kernels which are in the BB
>> Ubuntu and Debian images; the process is outlined here:
>> http://tinyurl.com/n5ly89t ; the xenomai kernel(s) would be tacked
>> onto this stream: http://rcn-ee.net/deb/wheezy-armhf/
>>
>> for now I'll use the patches Stephan had forwarded me in private, and
>> switch on next release (suggestions to do better than that welcome)
>

> You should probably use the ipipe-next branch in ipipe git tree.

I'm sorry for my probably newbie question, but how should I use the
ipipe git tree?

> --
>                                                                 Gilles.

Flavio de Castro Alves Filho

flavio.alves@gmail.com
www.linuxembarcado.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/fraviofii
LinkedIn profile: www.linkedin.com/in/flaviocastroalves

* Re: [Xenomai] Beaglebone kernels - automated builds WIP
@ 2013-06-08 22:46     ` Flavio Castro Alves Filho
From: Flavio Castro Alves Filho @ 2013-06-08 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix; +Cc: xenomai

Answering my own question:

=> My setup

Ubuntu 12.04 with a complete build of Angstrom for BeagleBone Black
using openembedded setup scripts

I used 'bitbake meta-ide-support' in order to have the toolchain for
building the kernel.

Despite having the build system, I'm using the original image from
e-mmc without changing anything

=> My procedure

* I used ipipe.git repository and ipipe-next branch as my mainline
kernel source code. I assumed that it was equivalent to the mainline
kernel with the v3.8.10 tag with the additions of the adeos-ipipe
equivalent patches (if we use the Xenomai's installer from the
download package)
* I added the BeagleBone Black related patches. To do so, I got the
meta-beagleboard from Yocto/Angstrom, checkout the hash which they've
just committed the v3.8.10 kernel for building and copied the patches
and configuration file
* I applied those patches to ipipe. It failed in one patch, but when I
saw, it was just #include positions. I corrected by hand.
* Executed scripts/prepare-kernel.sh, to install Xenomai patches
* Run menuconfig, to correct the real time part of the configuration file
* Build the kernel. It worked straight
* Copied the uImage file to the board

* Compiled Xenomai and installed to the board. In my case, I created a
recipe and installed the ipk file into my image.

I'll try to organize it in order to have an easier way to have it done.

Best regards,

Flavio

@ 2013-06-09  2:00     ` Michael Haberler
From: Michael Haberler @ 2013-06-09  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Flavio Castro Alves Filho; +Cc: xenomai

Am 08.06.2013 um 22:17 schrieb Flavio Castro Alves Filho <flavio.alves@gmail.com>:

> Hello,
>
> 2013/6/5 Gilles Chanteperdrix <gilles.chanteperdrix@xenomai.org>:
>> On 06/05/2013 05:42 PM, Michael Haberler wrote:
>>> for now I'll use the patches Stephan had forwarded me in private, and
>>> switch on next release (suggestions to do better than that welcome)
>>

>> You should probably use the ipipe-next branch in ipipe git tree.
>
> I'm sorry for my probably newbie question, but how should I use the
> ipipe git tree?

that question was the one I skimped to asked publically.. I was educated by Stephan on the issue privately, tried and figured it's a tad above my pay grade for now

I decided to wait for 3.8.13 patches to appear and play "public servant's mikado" - he who moves first, looses ;)

- Michael