* Thermal microconference proposal @ LPC
       [not found] <f1efad22-66a6-a094-1ebe-43e794aff6d0@linaro.org>
@ 2019-06-24 13:52 ` Amit Kucheria
From: Amit Kucheria @ 2019-06-24 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux PM list; +Cc: Zhang Rui, Eduardo Valentin, Daniel Lezcano

Hi all,

We've proposed a thermal microconf at LPC again this year. I've bcc'ed
a few people who were interested last year. We already have the
following topics listed for the proposal but could certainly use more
topics especially from the non-mobile Linux community.

- Samsung: Thermal aware scheduling (Lukasz Luba)
- Linaro: Combining idle and freq change for cpu cooling (Daniel Lezcano)
- ARM: Discriminating thermal throttling (Volker Eckert)
- IBM: Sustain turbo mode (Parth Shah)
- QCOM/Linaro: Make thermal framework easier to use in products (Amit Kucheria)

Please help bring this to the attention of those who might be
interested in talking about thermal-related problems at the
conference.

Thanks.

Regards,
Amit Kucheria & Daniel Lezcano

* Re: Thermal microconference proposal @ LPC
@ 2019-07-03 20:45   ` Pandruvada, Srinivas
From: Pandruvada, Srinivas @ 2019-07-03 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-pm, amit.kucheria; +Cc: Zhang, Rui, edubezval, daniel.lezcano

Hi Amit,
On Mon, 2019-06-24 at 19:22 +0530, Amit Kucheria wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We've proposed a thermal microconf at LPC again this year. I've
> bcc'ed
> a few people who were interested last year. We already have the
> following topics listed for the proposal but could certainly use more
> topics especially from the non-mobile Linux community.

Thermal/Power mitigation on high powered laptops

Some of the high powered laptops released with KabyLake and later
generations of processors can reach more than 50W with some busy
workloads like kernel compilation. This results in CPU temperature to
quickly reach close to the critical temperature. To avoid this OEM’s
have used a very conservative power limits  by default. But this
results in a bad performance on Linux laptops compared to other
operating systems. We have implemented a solution for Linux to mitigate
this. This quick presentation will show the approach Linux users
particularly kernel developers can use to get a very high performance
from these laptops.

This should be a quick 5-10 min talk.

Thanks,
Srinivas

> - Samsung: Thermal aware scheduling (Lukasz Luba)
> - Linaro: Combining idle and freq change for cpu cooling (Daniel
> Lezcano)
> - ARM: Discriminating thermal throttling (Volker Eckert)
> - IBM: Sustain turbo mode (Parth Shah)
> - QCOM/Linaro: Make thermal framework easier to use in products (Amit
> Kucheria)
>
> Please help bring this to the attention of those who might be
> interested in talking about thermal-related problems at the
> conference.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Amit Kucheria & Daniel Lezcano

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]
[-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature, Size: 3290 bytes --]

* Re: Thermal microconference proposal @ LPC
@ 2019-07-04  2:50     ` Amit Kucheria
From: Amit Kucheria @ 2019-07-04  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pandruvada, Srinivas; +Cc: linux-pm, Zhang, Rui, edubezval, daniel.lezcano

Hi Srinivas,

On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 2:15 AM Pandruvada, Srinivas
<srinivas.pandruvada@intel.com> wrote:

> Hi Amit,
> On Mon, 2019-06-24 at 19:22 +0530, Amit Kucheria wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We've proposed a thermal microconf at LPC again this year. I've
> > bcc'ed
> > a few people who were interested last year. We already have the
> > following topics listed for the proposal but could certainly use more
> > topics especially from the non-mobile Linux community.
> >

> Thermal/Power mitigation on high powered laptops
>
> Some of the high powered laptops released with KabyLake and later
> generations of processors can reach more than 50W with some busy
> workloads like kernel compilation. This results in CPU temperature to
> quickly reach close to the critical temperature. To avoid this OEM’s
> have used a very conservative power limits  by default. But this
> results in a bad performance on Linux laptops compared to other
> operating systems. We have implemented a solution for Linux to mitigate
> this. This quick presentation will show the approach Linux users
> particularly kernel developers can use to get a very high performance
> from these laptops.
>
> This should be a quick 5-10 min talk.

Thanks for the submission. Is this supposed to be a discussion or only
a presentation?

In any case, Rafael and Eduardo are now triaging the list of talks as MC leads.

Regards,
Amit

* Re: Thermal microconference proposal @ LPC
@ 2019-07-04 20:45       ` Pandruvada, Srinivas